Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 11-30-2023, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

Amazing paper piecing, Macybaby! Can't even begin to figure out how you made that.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:49 AM

It's Friday and the clue is out!

https://quiltville.com/pdf/Indigo_Way_Pt_Two_Full.pdf

For the short form, it is on the bottom of page 2
Old 12-01-2023, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Amazing paper piecing, Macybaby! Can't even begin to figure out how you made that.
That was my thought exactly (although I do know rudimentary paper piecing).
Old 12-01-2023, 09:47 AM

I'm thinking of trying the Deb Tucker V-block trimmer first for this clue, and if that doesn't go well, the paper piecing. I found the Tri-Recs difficult to use and my En Provence units were consistently small.
Old 12-01-2023, 10:00 AM

Macy baby, That is incredible!
Old 12-01-2023, 10:02 AM

I'm shooting for half the size. I didn't realize how many blues I have!!! Thinking I will go with one red solid, and a small variety of neutrals. Looking forward to actually seeing a project completed!!
Old 12-01-2023, 01:27 PM

I've got my clue 2 all cut. I use the tri-rec ruler, and cut the sides 1/4" taller than required. When I sew, I split the difference with 1/8" extending on the bottom and the top of the center piece. Then I trim to exact. Going this way gives me a bit extra at the top above the point, so I don't lose that point in the trimming process.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:23 PM

Unhappy I need help!

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've got my clue 2 all cut. I use the tri-rec ruler, and cut the sides 1/4" taller than required. When I sew, I split the difference with 1/8" extending on the bottom and the top of the center piece. Then I trim to exact. Going this way gives me a bit extra at the top above the point, so I don't lose that point in the trimming process.
I seem to be doing something wrong. I cut my red fabric into 3-1/2" wide strips. But in Bonnie's directions it looks like my tri-rec ruler should be on the 3-1/2" line but it is actually on the 3" line of the ruler. And when I sew the side pieces on my pieces are too small. Any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2023, 05:41 AM

Oh dear! I was almost done with my post and the power flickered on/off enough to lose my post. I haven't started yet because my contractor was still working on the closets I am having built in the sewing room.

GailGL -- I am so sorry you are having problems. I rarely use specialty rulers so I can't give you any direct info, except that the reason I don't use them is because (depending on the ruler) the markings aren't in standard inches but rather where to cut or finished sizes for particular dimensions -- so you may be right on the nose! Likewise, positioning the side triangles can be awkward/have a learning curve because of how they form the top seam allowance.

I do (sadly) have to again say that we shouldn't use actual numbers. I know the dimensions you stated are what Bonnie put down for this step but I'm going to have to sort of talk around the numbers.

These shapes can be difficult to put together correctly, one reason is how the sides form the seam allowance, especially the top, Like Macybaby I will be cutting the red triangles according to the dimensions but I will be making the neutral triangles large and trimming down my subunits.

So look again at the pictures on Page 3 of the PDF. Notice that the tops of the (center) triangles are snubbed and not pointy. When you put your rulers on your cut pieces, do they look the same? Notice that the neutral triangles are double snubbed! Once across the top and once along the side to show how they fit correctly. If you don't do that extra little snub it is much harder to correctly place.

Do you have the ability to print the PDF or at least the last page(s) where the paper piecing templates and actual sized pieces are shown? You can lay your pieces on top to see if they fit correctly (remember that the paper piecing doesn't show seam allowances). If you have graph paper you can draw out the finished size -- you can use the unfinished size but make sure you mark your center from the finished size and not the top of the block. Simply mark your center and draw the lines from there. With no graph paper you can cut out a corner of a piece of paper (again I would use finished size or make allowances for the seam line), fold it in half and simply draw from the center to the opposing corners. Because those are on the diagonal, they can run right off the edges into the seam allowance unlike the top.

Hope you can figure out what is going on. I'm going to guess it is more a positioning and seam accuracy thing than a wrong cut but it can can be either/both!!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-02-2023 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:42 AM

I thought they were a little bit large, too; I thought it might be bc people want things done faster? Bigger units = bigger blocks, so less blocks needed for large quilts?

BUT, in trying to find a video to help GailGL, I found Bonnie showing sewing her TriRecs units from Celtic Solstice, and they were the same size we are doing now.

GailGL - The Fons and Porter video was recommended in another group. It shows cutting and sewing of the unit. Make sure you are cutting that little tiny notch from the end. It doesn't seem large enough that it would matter, but it does! Also, when you are done, you will have a little speck of the center color showing at the bottom corners. Some folks think they should be trimming those away, leaving them with a smaller unit - but you leave them as is; they will be within the seam allowance when joining units/blocks, so don't trim it away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxx7SuZKqCY

Also, a video of Bonnie sewing the TriRecs unit from a previous mystery. She may have showed the cutting in an earlier video, I didn't look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTPE1EFZHpc

Hope that helps!