Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bad stitches >

bad stitches

bad stitches

Old 12-07-2023, 06:13 PM

Default bad stitches

Hi, I'm having trouble with bad stitches. I cleaned and oiled my machine, twice still making loose wadded stitches. I changes thread several times (had same type on top and bottom). Changed needles 5 times. Changed bobbin shuttle. twice. Some better but still have loose stitches. I appreciate any help. I have two quilts to get done by Christmas.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

Is the bobbin wound correctly? Machine threaded correctly and is bobbin going in the right direction. Presser foot down and needle in right. Sometimes I get one of these things wrong even now.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:04 PM

I've had a situation like that a couple times over my decades-long pursuit. First, it sounds like you've bird-dogged most of the stuff we can do ourselves. However, a second or third trip through each and every step as Stitchnripper suggests is not out of the question either.

If that doesn't solve the issue, then it sounds to me like your machine ay simply be out of timing which means a trip to the shop. There are a couple videos on doing it yourself, but my personal effort stops when they say to take the innards completely out of the casing, release belts, etc. It goes to the shop.

It's also curious that when that happens my machine is usually about ready for a periodic "tune-up" anyway. Also, it usually occurs after I've done a huge, heavy duty project like making rope bowls or some such over and over again.

Hope something of this helps.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:33 PM

What machine do you have? It helps to know if it's mechanical or computerized. Once I was I was having a similar issue and I had replaced the needle but turned out I had put the new one in backwards. But it you have broken a needle recently it's probable the timing is off.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Is the bobbin wound correctly? Machine threaded correctly and is bobbin going in the right direction. Presser foot down and needle in right. Sometimes I get one of these things wrong even now.
Thank you for responding. But, I have done all of these things several times, and I'm still getting a loose stitch. It will sew fine for a short distance then have several stitches that are very loose. It is very frustrating.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:17 AM

Thank you for responding.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:20 AM

Thank you for responding. I have the Bailey Pro15.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:21 AM

Thank you for responding. I have the Bailey Pro15.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:41 PM
Gay

Do your tensions need adjusting?
Old 12-08-2023, 07:11 PM

Check your tension discs. I had this issue and discovered that after I changed thread color I had put the thread between the discs but not securely between them so the tension could engage.