Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
monofilament threat >

monofilament threat

monofilament threat

Old 12-08-2023, 02:40 PM

I've used it for both applique and quilting with no probs. You have to loosen the tension a LOT. And I mean loose!
Old 12-08-2023, 06:46 PM

There are pre-wound bobbins available for this thread.

There is also a smoke color that blends well for many projects. It works well for darker fabrics.

Don’t use the auto needle threader to thread the needle. You can “color” the end of thread so it is easier to see when threading the needle. I use a color marker on the end.

Old 12-09-2023, 01:09 PM

I didn't care for using that thread as it is hard to see, good luck.
Old 12-09-2023, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I've used it for both applique and quilting with no probs. You have to loosen the tension a LOT. And I mean loose!
That's what I found. I think Berninas tend to be set with the tension a bit tight. I had to loosen mine up a lot. I set it the same as I used to use with Sliver thread. Once I got it set, I had no problems.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:58 PM

I'm not an award winning quilter for sure. I use transparent thread all the time for quilting. I particularly like it for "I spy" quilts, as I have so many different colors in the fabrics. I don't change my tension from regular thread. I use Gutermann's color #111. It seems to handle the same as regular poly thread. (I use vintage Singer sewing machines.)

My first experience with "transparent" thread was "Coats Transparent". I was just learning to quilt. I had found some of the nicest, most colorful Dresden Plate blocks I'd ever seen. They were not needle turned applique, but all hand sewn. I was afraid they would fall apart if ever washed, so I tried to zig-zag the edges with "transparent" thread. It was a disaster. So, I used Fray-Check on the edges. It, too, wasn't a great success. Those beautiful blocks ares still up in the top of the closet, waiting to be fixed in one way or another. All that to say, I wish I had known that not all thread is equal back then.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 12-09-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:02 AM

Thanks, Onebyone. I just looked up monofilament thread. It's a continuous nylon (I assume extruded) product, like fishing line. I do not use monofilament nylon thread, contrary to what I posted earlier on this thread. I use 100% polyester thread by Gutermann..

bkay