Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FIRST quilt, need a little advice >

FIRST quilt, need a little advice

FIRST quilt, need a little advice

Old 12-09-2023, 09:16 AM

Good idea!
Old 12-09-2023, 09:18 AM

Well I have thought about using a multiple zigzag stitch (three stitches in each direction) because that would be similar to what you're saying, and it would also echo the whole zigzag motif of the quilt. Also, with a wide stitch like that, you get more bang for your buck (cover more area with each line of stitching) than with straight stitching and maybe any wobbles in the stitching lines won't be so noticeable.

Of course this is only my idea never having DONE this before!
Old 12-09-2023, 09:34 AM

DonnaReMe -- you've gotten a lot of good advice so far in this thread. Big round of applause for your first project!

I think what you are describing as a multipplae zigzag stitch is what I call a serpentine (some people call it snake too) stitch and it is one of my favorite techniques for quilting down a project. Let your machine do the work and you get a slightly more interesting design, while allowing for some wobbles and such not only in your quilting but your piecing as well. It will, as you mentioned sort of refer back to the overall pattern.

As Bkay suggested, I'd go along the diagonal lines all the way through the border and off the edges. I sure hope (however you do it) you will be able to post a picture of your finished project -- and that you stay here on the boards. I think you have a great attitude and keep in mind one of our sayings around here, done is better than perfect!
Old 12-09-2023, 12:37 PM

Beautiful quilt! I'm sure they will love it!

Just wanted to mention that it's really hard to stitch-in-the-ditch. If you stitch 1/4" to 1/2" away from the seam on either side, it will make your life less stressful.
Old 12-09-2023, 12:58 PM

Good point, and good idea. I have seen that effect and it does look nice.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:35 AM

Since your pattern is on a diagonal, I would straight stitch on each side of the blocks from corner to corner on the diagonal and go right through your border. If you like it, you could also go the the other way making a giant cross hatch. Just another idea to put in your hopper.

By the way, I sure like the pattern! Looks easy and fast to do for a quick turn around when you need a quilt in a hurry. A good donation quilt pattern too! Of course I saved it! Thanks for the good idea.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 12-10-2023 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:49 AM

Yeah, I saved it, too. Thanks.

bkay
Old 12-10-2023, 05:37 AM

Great pattern! Love the idea of a giant cross hatch. Just put on your walking foot and go for it. Lots of great advice here.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:39 AM

I picked it because it looked easy for a first quilt - all the blocks are the same, two rectangles to make a square, what could be easier than that? Of course there are the triangle fills on the sides which were a little fiddly, but not too bad. I made the entire quilt top - including cutting out the pieces - in three days.

I added a 3" border from one of the fabrics in the pink line and I think that made it look 100% better.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:27 AM

I think I would do parallel zig-zag lines matching the piecing, and extend them thru the borders. Go right thru the middle of the center zig-zag, then do parallel lines to both sides, maybe an inch apart, ignoring the seam lines in the piecing. THat is, don't try to stitch in the ditch, or hit the same spot in each chevron. It should be pretty easy to keep your spacing using the foot of your machine, or a quilting bar if you have it. Maybe draw marking lines across the quilt at the corners of the zig zag, so you'll know when to make the 90-degree turn.