Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 12-08-2023, 02:09 PM

One last try at posting a picture of my fabrics.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:39 PM

It took me like a year to figure out how to post pictures here. Keep trying!

While you can embed an image into the text with some sort of copy command, that hasn't worked for me. Nor does the paper clip icon, I have to chose Go Advanced below the text box. For me, the big thing is file size, my old school digital camera does not have many options and I have to reduce the file size. Although there are now pricing plans, I've always used this site for free:
https://www.reduceimages.com/

When you do get to the Attach pictures part, you have to stretch out the window to the far right until you find the Upload button. With my various protections, I have to CTRL click to select the manage attachments in that set of options.

We have a help file here:
Including Images and Attachments (as of 24 Jan 2020)

And I really like Ourworkbench's list of help, here's one copy:
Star of David Singer

To further complicate things, you have like a 5 minute time limit to edit your posts! And I often time out/get logged off so I've learned to copy my text before I hit the reply button!!
Old 12-08-2023, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Can someone help? My paper-piecing templates are printing small. I downloaded the PDF from the blog site, and have specified 'Custom Scale 100%' in the printer specifications. Have not had a problem previously printing templates at 100%.

I printed my paper piecing templates at 102%. Some people print at 103%. I am guessing they are off because of the pdf format. The words go to two columns and I think the paper piecing prints change also. Just a guess. The first one, I simply used graph paper and worked it out.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:05 PM

Thanks, toverly!

So in matching up navies with my light blues and neutral, and I don't like the navies with the brighter blues at all. I think it was the bright red, when assessing my fabrics as a whole, that led me to the brighter blues. Fortunately, I was able to find several grayed blues in my stash to use in this clue. Maybe, if we pair the red with the light blue somewhere, I can use the brighter ones later on.
Old 12-09-2023, 07:59 AM

Joe'smom -- when I was auditioning my fabrics I really thought I wanted to go with my brighter blues, but I found with the B&W photos that their value was actually pretty close to my darks -- but my eyes could certainly tell the difference between the shades. I am going with my lighter/ashen blues. I do have some concerns how some of my neutrals/lights will work with the lighter blues but one thing at a time.

Good points on those of you using the paper pieced patterns to check your measurements on the print outs!

Shout out to my friend Barb (who is the one that gave me Cranky Bernie) who is definitely lurking but is sewing along with the rest of us! We were roommates for a bit in our early 20s... that was back in the early 80s. She works almost entirely in batiks so I'm sure her final quilt will be wonderful and exotic.

And hooray for my contractor -- still has more to do around here but the closets are done and I'll be able to sew this weekend. First I am spending some time with the hubby but I'm itching to get clue 2 done
Old 12-10-2023, 08:45 AM

I've got my clue #3 cut and ready to sew. I got tired of my paper pieced project and switched to getting some tops quilted last week. I have 6 done and one in progress. The bad part is I've only got one of them bound so I'll be doing quite a bit of that in the near future. I'm trying hard not to let my floppies pile up on me - but that didn't work out too well since even after all that, I still have three in waiting. I had someone ask for a quilt for a fundraiser, so I had to hurry up and finish one. Now at least I'll have a few on hand if a need arises.

I'm going to do some work with my embroidery machine as I bought some Christmas designs and it would be nice to do them before Christmas! But I can let the machine do the work while I'm piecing on my straight stitch machine.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:09 AM

Good going Macybaby!

I do have progress to report, I am done stiching (yesterday) and pressing Clue 2 (today). I can bring them upstairs to trim while hubby is watching the Detroit Lions game today.

When I moved my dustcloths from over my fabric I found a few pieces of my light blue that missed the prewash yesterday -- I did get the Christmas greens given to me last Tuesday but forgot about the light blues. Got those washed while I was pressing the Clue 2 units. I really hate ironing my prewashed fabrics to make them ready for cutting, but it seems to me that my impeller (no agitator stick in the middle) washer is nicer to my fabrics and much less pressing is required. Cutting Clue 3 may or may not happen today, but I'm feeling more caught up and less behind. We won't have a sewing day in my Tuesday group but we are going to meet up for a holiday coffee klatsch. I think that will give me a couple hours at home when I am all amped up to sew.

I write up a note with BIG writing that I attach to my wall with blue tape on the sizes and counts to keep in mind. I think I stuck my old cork board into one of the boxes with pictures, should look for that... I also have the print out with me but the type is small for me. Also looking for my 3-hole punch and don't remember if it moved or not, seems like I would have but May-June and what got moved and what didn't is just a blur now. So far I've been too cheap to just buy another one but I'm getting close to being reckless! I did ordered more of the little fabric clips, prices have gone down on those over the years and if I don't use so many any other time of the year, I sure need a bunch for the mystery quilt
Old 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM

Macybaby, it's amazing to me how much you are able to accomplish!

My back is protesting rotary cutting, so I am prepping my clue #3 fabrics for paper piecing. Wow, that is very labor intensive! But, I can do much of the cutting with scissors since it doesn't have to be precise. Meanwhile, I am working on rotary cutting and trimming clue #2 little by little.

It looks like I will have something of a clarity issue with my busy neutral in clue #3. Still liking it, though, and intrigued to see how it impacts the quilt design as a whole.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7995_Fotor.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	646607  
Old 12-10-2023, 11:37 AM

Got clues 1 & 2 finished. Printed 3. Tomorrow have quilting student. Will have time to start 3.

Every problem/challenge is an opportunity.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:46 AM

We are currently not home so I haven't been able to print out the third clue and start it. I think I will make one or two with paper piecing and a couple with rotary cutting to see which method I like best. Love seeing pics of everyone's blocks.