Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps and old age >

Scraps and old age

Scraps and old age

Old 12-10-2023, 11:30 AM

For 1.5 years, mostly I’ve used scraps. While it’s been fun, it’s time to be more me. So I’m choosing to be more deliberate.

scrappy hot pads make great houseguest presents. They use odd size strips.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Scraps come in all shapes and sizes.

For some, a scrap is itty-bitty.
Some, it's all of what they did not use in a particular project. No matter how large.
And for others, it's everything above itty-bitty through to those large leftover pieces.

Me?
The itty-bitty's .... I keep a bin and periodically take it to a recycle bin station. Some use those itty-bitty's for cat/dog beds.

A bit larger .... I do cut down into squares of 4 different sizes. Largest being 5" charm squares. Smallest 1-1/2". But? the question remains, will I have the right size for a project when the time comes. In hindsight, I would leave them in strips, of the standard widths, so that I have all the same colour/fabric in one piece, and then can use as is, or cut into the squares when the desired usage comes.

Larger pieces are folded and put back into my colour and theme sorted bins, waiting for me.

In hindsight again ..... I would not recommend anyone to have a stash. Or at least keep the stash to a bare minimum. For me, it seems so often when I shop my stash, the options are the wrong colour, or tone of the colour. Or the wrong mood. Or the wrong size. etc. Though sometimes I can score with making a project totally from stash!!

But the negative aspect of stash shopping .... I have no clue what is new and exciting in the stores!! I am trying really hard to not add to my stash when I do have to shop whether for fabric or notions or whatever! But I do miss the teasing and lure of the new fabrics!!!
Old 12-10-2023, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

I can use charm packs and jelly rolls for making all the scrap quilts and projects. I'll just mix them up. I'm not saving one more scrap this next year and see how I feel about it next Dec.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

I'm going in the opposite direction. I have tons of scraps, and I use them sometimes, but they're still accumulating. So my goal for 2024 is to make lots and lots of scrappy quilts. I'll try to whittle down the scrap collection, but I'm definitely not trying to eliminate it. And I know that it will grow again. As long as I have plenty of space, I'm okay with having scraps.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:35 PM

I am just happy that I am a utility quilt maker. I really don't care if I had the latest fabric. I just make quilts to keep people warm. My stash is great for that. I do enjoy scrappy quilts. They are fun to make. On my budget now that I am retired. I don't think I would be quilting nearly as much if I didn't have my trusty stash.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:06 PM

I'm glad onebyone started this thread. I admire and am amazed at the scrappy blocks and quilts I have seen on here, and at shows, but try as I may, it's just not for me. I do cut charm size squares and 2.5"stripes from scraps, but the rest I get rid of. I have mailed scraps to other members, I donate usable size scraps made up into 1 gallon size bags to a local thrift store, and the rest is tossed. I'm happy and content with how I distribute my scraps, and they're not taking up valuable space in my studio, which allows room for new fabric.😎
Old 12-10-2023, 06:16 PM

I am currently making a scrap quilt, and, while it’s indeed using up scraps, it’s taking forevvver because it’s 9-patches made from scraps, not strips, and it’s a lot of matching of corners.

Making it from jelly rolls sewn into strata would have been so much easier but then probably not really in the spirit of using up bits and pieces.

I think if I had a pattern with minimal matching, I’d get done a lot faster. If it’s really scraps you’re using, thriftily cutting to the right shapes, it can be really slow.

hugs, charlotte
Old 12-10-2023, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I understand being thrifty, that's how I ended up with a lot of scraps. I don't use them, the only scrap quilt I made was a string piece and I won't do another, too many seams and the quilt is very heavy. If that is all the fabric I had then yes of course I'd use scraps and be happy to have them. Like I said I have too much yardage and pre cuts. I would rather use those while I am able instead of using any scraps. Leaving the new pretty fabric for someone else to use? Why?
Old 12-11-2023, 04:02 AM

I pass scraps along to other quilters in our guild. Let others find their joy in playing with them for a while.

I really haven't missed one yet.

I don't want to think about how to make them play nice together. Time to move on to the next new projects with new fabrics works for me.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:17 AM

Before, I never gave it a second thought to mail someone scraps, but the last time I mailed scraps it cost an arm and a leg. I decided that it just isn't worth it any more with the price of postage. Thankfully some are willing to pay the postage, but all the same, I hated asking for it, so I just mail it out. It's cheaper to buy yardage then to send scraps. Since then, I've just discarded any scraps I have and leftovers. I don't like making scrappy quilts, so if I don't have enough of the material left of that fabric for making enough like blocks for a quilt pattern, it's gone.