Clothing making…

Old 03-20-2023, 03:58 PM

Maryellen just remember people who don't appreciate home made, make too much money!
Old 03-20-2023, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
Maryellen just remember people who don't appreciate home made, make too much money!
Or they don't know quality and just want prestige labels
Old 12-12-2023, 09:44 AM

I just started. I have been making PJ bottoms this month for Christmas presents. They are so much better feeling then store bought one. I am using the New look pattern A6321 that have pockets. I am thinking for making boxers in the future and shorts. Looking forward to see where my sewing adventure will take me.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:13 AM

I used to sew clothing when I was in high school, basic clothes like dresses, shirts, skirts.

Then recently I needed some flannel shirts, and also some dress clothes, so I started sewing again about a month ago. I tried a couple of different store bought patterns, but had to do so many alters/changes on them that I just tossed them (besides hating the awful thin paper the patterns are printed on) and made my own patterns.

I actually use freezer paper to draw out my pattern and after I get the pattern down, I iron it onto fusible interfacing to make it more tear resistant for repeated use. So far, in this past month, I've made dress pants, and blouses. I needed the dress clothes first, so my next go to will be flannel shirts for everyday wear, using the same pattern that I used for my blouses. I hate fitted clothing, and prefer a loose fit. I don't want to feel like I am poured into my clothes. It's actually been easier to get back into sewing clothing than I thought it would be, especially since I decided to make my own patterns that fit my body.
Old 12-12-2023, 02:12 PM

I make my own blouses and pj's when I feel like sewing. I make handbags, totes, stuff for the grandkids. Also I love to make vests and shop aprons for my husband. The photos below are of one I made for him. He uses it when he is working around the house and building things out of wood. He has an almost identical one for his metal working. It a darker denim, I have to use a magnet and the shop vac on either one before they go into the washer.
They start out plain with a few basic pockets, then after he puts it on we mark out where he wants additional pockets, straps to hang his hammer etc. What you don't see is a couple of pockets on the inside which hold his speed squares he uses when works with wood.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P4140014 - Copy.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	646651   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5050006 - Copy.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	646652  
Old 12-15-2023, 10:49 PM

Some 12-15 years ago, I bought an Eddie Bauer brand blouse on clearance, I think I paid $4 for it. I didn't like the fabric color or the print, but it was the best-fitting blouse I'd found in a long time. Took it home, ripped the seams, pressed all the pieces, and traced them onto butcher paper to make a pattern. I think I've made 15 or 16 blouses from it. I've made changes to some of the blouses - changed it from a pointed collar to a mandarin collar; added ruffles; lengthened the sleeves; widened the seams to make it a swing blouse, and changed it from button plackets to a pullover. It's been a lot of fun, although I've learned to simply say "Thank you" instead of "I made it myself" when people compliment me. They tend to ask me to do ridiculous things when they learn I can sew clothing.