Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory Items from Old Ties?? >

Memory Items from Old Ties??

Memory Items from Old Ties??

Old 12-13-2023, 08:25 AM

I love that ottoman! I am concerned about how many ties it would take and if there would be enough for that project.

Obviously it depends on the project, and I think being just one person's ties where you might want the lingering smell of cologne it might be different, but I can't stress enough how absolutely filthy my hands would get working with the ones I bought... After having worked with them, I wouldn't want my bare skin to touch an unwashed version. But again, these were from strangers and were decades old.

Other things to consider -- Depending on what they were lined with, several of the linings had disintegrated into dust. There is a LOT of variety between lengths, width, thickness and angles and how many ties it might take to make a circle. When we are used to working with cotton, yes ties are mostly slippery and mostly cut on the bias.

My plan with my friend's grandfather's silk ties was to make a rail fence variation, foundation piecing them onto woolen suiting, basically assembling the blocks in a quilt as you go variation. I had enough for a center, really too small for a throw and would have needed more ties or silk for anything other than a pillow. Turned out she didn't really want anything back, she had other items and memories, and with a young child she didn't want the care and maintenance of something that needed dry cleaning or being stored for years.

I gave the remnants and remaining ties to a lady I met at our farmer's market who made things from ties. Sadly, I can't quite remember the name and don't think I brought her card with me on the move. She made various things from purses and lanyards or zipper pulls to teddy bears and such.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Everyone, for your ideas and input.

Since I started the thread, I have done some googling and searching and along with your posts, have broadened my idea base to some projects that are intriguing and that I'd maybe consider. A lot more possibilities than I would ever even thought about, for sure!

In my stash, I have a bunch of ties that I've collected from different sources, that would let me do some trial runs. While I am getting kind of keen on it, the negatives have me very, very hesitant, so I want to know I feel good about it all before I even whisper the possibility. I know there are a lot of questions and missing info I need answered, but do not want to speak with this person until I am right and ready. I just don't want to get her hopes up, unless I am really ready to say yes.

Some questions and thoughts back to your posts ...

Washing? Drying? ...Would you toss them in the washer, warm wash? Put them in a pillow case, stitched up? to keep them from tangling or if they fall apart, would avoid a mess? Dry them in the dryer? or hang to dry? My allergies/sensitivities already are telling me that washing would be mandatory. Especially with IceBlossom'scomments.

Post-Gutting? ... Once down to the fabric, would it be advisable to stabilize the fabric onto a light fusible? Foundation piecing sounds like a good option, but might not work for all the projects. Have noted WMUTeach's comments above, but in a lot of the patterns, I can't see being able to work with the whole tie, as is.

Pressing? Best Press? ... Will most tie fabrics handle pressing OK? Likewise re Best Press? Of course, may have to keep temperatures lower, if silk and poly. I'm thinking here that Best Press may handle the slippery and bias issues?

How To's - Online/Book ... Amazon has the book recommended by Dunster. Of course, the Canadian price is inflated. Have found a plethora of other how-to's online, but if anyone has any that they specifically recommend, please share.

More? ... Please feel free to share even more ideas and in particular, more of the good, bad and ugly of working with old ties!

THANK YOU, One and All !!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-14-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:47 PM

For washing, my poly ties behaved reasonably well in bunches of 10-20 which I would put in a lingerie bag preferably (mesh for lots of water flow), and secondarily in pillow cases. I'd do maybe 5 bags/pillow cases per load?? My normal wash cycle (which then was warm wash and warm rinse) with my usual scent free detergent. I'd throw them in with bits of regular laundry that wasn't picky, jeans, old towels, things like that.

I do a lot of small piece washed in pillow cases -- I use my hair pony tail bands to keep the pillow cases closed. I could tell a lot from the ties that raveled a lot... be prepared with a pair of scissors to separate the ones that didn't play nice. I'd make sure they weren't in a tangled mess and then threw them in the drier, still in their bags again medium heat. I don't use any spray starch or other additives. I was cautious but didn't have any major melting issues and found a lot of those ties could handle pretty high iron heat and a lot of them came out just lovely with no pressing at all. Some of those ravelly ones also needed so steam to press out issues. In good news, once they were washed dried they didn't wrinkle and took a lot of abuse being stored in a garbage bag for years before I gave them away and came out ready for use again.

We had a thread recently about "when was the last time you used pinking shears" -- this was one of those times. I think you might want to do some test batches of what works for you and your project. I was ok gutting them and washing them whole, but if I was to do it again, I'd simply use the pinking shears to cut around the main shape on the front and just ignore the neck and back unless I wanted a lot of 1" finished pieces. I did use the pinking shears where the lining was sewn into the point of the tie. While some of the poly ties were pretty usable at the side creases, the more silky ones typically had a lot of thread damage from the creases that didn't come out.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:24 PM

Fascinating thread! I don’t have anything practical to add regarding sewing the ties, but wanted to address your hesitancy to get involved lest you mess up, QuiltE.

If you decide to give it a go, it’s perfectly appropriate to tell your friend, listen, I’m willing to give it a try, I expect I’ll be successful, but honestly, I’ve never done this before and can’t promise I won’t mess it up. You decide, dear friend of mine, if you want to take that gamble.

She may say, heck they’re only ties, he’s not wearing them anymore, but let’s have fun with the process and if we get a great project at the end of this, that’s great.

Or she may say, these ties are my tangible memory of him, and I’d be crushed if they were ruined, so thank you, but I’ll find something else to do with them.

That honest conversation might help you both feel better.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

IceBlossom ... I'm thinking of using re-usable mesh produce bags. Ironically, I have been using them for most everything except produce!! You mentioned laundry bags ... when I couldn't get lingerie bags, I started using knee high nylons or trouser socks. They work better, and last longer! Question ... A little foggy here with your explanations ... did you gut, then wash? or wash, then gut? For sure, I'll be doing some test runs! Just trying to start with good knowledge from yours and others experiences, and avoid re-learning what is already known.

LI_diva ... Don't downplay your info. You have some good specific, and practical advice. This person is more of an acquaintance through church and the community, than she is a friend. Other than having known her husband, again through the same connections, I really know little about her. They both always had a good sense of humour. But I have no idea as to how relaxed or uptight she may be about these prized possessions!! Also, I have no clue how many ties there are. He was known for his ties, but did they keep every one of those ties, forever? Are there a1000? Or did they clear the stash periodically and she just has 12? Too, no idea as to what quality, colour range, etc. Your thoughts are well taken and definitely fit with what I'd been thinking. Honestly, I'm not even sure as to what sort of a project she is really thinking about.

IF, and still a BIG IF, I decide to go the next step, my thoughts right now are to say, let's talk, with a show and tell of the ties. As you suggested, I'll be very open re my inexperience and the high risks; but also the risk of reward with something for her to cherish. I just know I have to feel really good about it, before I will go to the next step. I'm not rushing to any decisions. For now, the Christmas season gives some space, and time to consider.

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-14-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:48 PM

I've made a couple of quilts from ties. The polyester ties will wear well; the silk ones will not hold up to any regular usage and the resulting quilt cannot be handled a lot. If you have a lot of ties, throw them all in the wash and just work with the ones that survive, If you only have a few, wash on gentle with cold water and hang to dry. Don't bother with any red ties-the color will run like Hussain Bolt. The non-polyester ties will have to have interfacing because they are very wonky. You can also foundation piece them, if you like. I preferred the foundation piecing. I just cut the ties into strips and sewed them to muslin blocks. I thought working with interfacing got messy with my iron melting things I didn't want melted. Just let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:51 PM

Click image for larger version

Name: 20221223_170437.jpg
Views: 442
Size: 475.7 KB
ID: 642053
This is a tie quilt that I made for my nephew last year. This is foundation pieced.

Oops! That picture didn't copy to this post. I'll try again later.

Last edited by Buckeye quilter; 12-14-2023 at 06:56 PM. Reason: picture didn't copy to new post
Old 12-14-2023, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye quilter View Post
I've made a couple of quilts from ties. The polyester ties will wear well; the silk ones will not hold up to any regular usage and the resulting quilt cannot be handled a lot. If you have a lot of ties, throw them all in the wash and just work with the ones that survive, If you only have a few, wash on gentle with cold water and hang to dry. Don't bother with any red ties-the color will run like Hussain Bolt. The non-polyester ties will have to have interfacing because they are very wonky. You can also foundation piece them, if you like. I preferred the foundation piecing. I just cut the ties into strips and sewed them to muslin blocks. I thought working with interfacing got messy with my iron melting things I didn't want melted. Just let me know if you have any more questions.
Here is the thread with one that you started last year -https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulletin/pictures-f5/christmas-presents-t319782.html with the quilt at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...223_170437.jpg
Old 12-15-2023, 04:51 AM

1. To wash delicates, I place into a pillowcase and tie a knot before washing in machine.
2. The one time I used satin in applique, disaster when washed. I think silk will do the same. The weave is too loose.
3. I do like the tie quilt, Buckeye!
Old 12-15-2023, 05:42 AM

I washed my ties by hand then drip dried them in the shower on a rack.

to gut them quickly fold at seam and rotary the seam right off. They will be very hard on your rotary blade and mat, use an old mat or the backside of one. The little bit of fabric you lose isn't much use anyway.

Yes your fabric will need pressed. I don't know how dry cleaning works, but if I were doing it again, I'd just take them all to the cleaners.