Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 12-15-2023, 07:47 AM

I remember trying a couple of methods for this unit during Good Fortune, and preferring the traditional one.

Maybe I can bring in those brighter light blues here, since they're pairing with the red.

I'll have to stick with one red for this clue (I have a yard of it), since I haven't finished clue #2 and don't know how much additional solid-looking red I'll need for that. This red has a slight pattern in it.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:24 AM

I finished up clue 3 a few days ago. Took me a bit of reading to get exactly what was needed figured out for this clue. It always seems to get hidden in the directions, and I only read them enough to figure out what needs to be made as I already know what method I prefer to use.
Old 12-15-2023, 03:59 PM

Whew, steadily working on Clue 3. I'm excited to see this one section done. I like the fact that all the squares are the same size (so far). The quilt layout might make a good one to do in any size square.

Joe's mom, that's what I do too when I am not certain if my fabric will hold out. It has worked so far to have a different fabric in a "set of units" from the others. They always seem to end up all over the quilt or in the border. It's a nice look. I do that with different lot numbers of the same fabric print also. Just in case they don't wear the same.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:46 PM

Post #204 (Davidter) - Spam reported.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:48 AM

Not done with Clue 3 yet but getting there. I was thinking ahead to Clue 4 where I'm sure it's going to take me quite a bit of concentration to get the neutral/dark blue color placement correct... I was also looking at the 4 strong distinctive neutral prints I have left and the couple of remaining scraps and decided that I wanted more diversity like I have in my other sets. So I called "road trip" to the hubby and we went the 40 or so miles to Bloomington to the fabric store I found before. Seems like a long way to go, but with standard yardage about $7 per yard and sale cuts and the gas is cheaper than postage. I can generate a lot of reasons/excuses to buy more fabric!

While we were out there, we got some of the the best local bbq we've found so far. Hubby's "ketovore" (mostly meat) diet means we do a lot of bbq and sometimes use that to plan our trips. Not that he wasn't willing before, but so long as we can combine Bolines (fabric) with Annies (bbq) he is willing to do the driving for me.

After this post I'll have to take the new neutrals out of the dryer. Then to finish Clue 3. I have maybe 1/3 of the blocks complete and the combined neutral/light blue triangles sewn and clipped together to their dark blue sides for all the others. I can do it.. I might get distracted moving in some furniture and setting up a stereo so there is a possibility I miss this deadline too. But no more fabric buying this week
Old 12-16-2023, 07:11 AM

I have been doing clue 3 using the paper pieced method and would like to use the Deb Tucker method. On youtube she doesn't include the sizes for the strips to be cut so yesterday I tried to make a guess and it didnt turn out. Not sure if it is me ( it really has to be) but if someone can PM me with the width of the strips I would appreciate it. If not then I will continue to do it the PP method which uses more fabric and no doubt slower. I love reading about what everyone is doing and it gives me inspiration.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:27 AM

I've seen several people mentioning that Deb Tucker method for clue #3 on Quiltville. Do you know specifically what to search for on YouTube? I decided I'd be better off with the paper piecing (though slow) for clue #3, to minimize use of the rotary blade, which I can't seem to tolerate a lot of right now.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:29 AM

So I did find and watch that video. It looks like an interesting method to try!

Old 12-16-2023, 09:57 AM

I've been using Bonnie's method using her rulers and surprisingly I am happy with how my piecing is turning out. I usually struggle with bias edges and finished size! I have clue 1 complete (I'm aiming for 1/2 the blocks for a smaller quilt) working on clue 2 and 3, and just did a trial for clue 4. I'm slow but steady!!!
Old 12-16-2023, 01:06 PM

The Shaded 4 Patch is also known as Mary's Triangle. There are many tutorials on you tube and of course google itself offers different blogs on making the block
Sandra-P Maybe you can find an alternative video to help searching the blocks other common name Mary's Triangle.

Last edited by Stitches23; 12-16-2023 at 01:23 PM.