Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 12-16-2023, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
The Shaded 4 Patch is also known as Mary's Triangle. There are many tutorials on you tube and of course google itself offers different blogs on making the block
Sandra-P Maybe you can find an alternative video to help searching the blocks other common name Mary's Triangle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgF3AMMkj1M
Karen Brown of Just Get It Done has an old tutorial for doing Mary's Triangles/ Shaded 4 patch and how to do multiples at once. I have not tried it because....just never did. If someone has done the Multiples way -- speak up and let us know your experiences.
Old 12-16-2023, 03:09 PM

At last! Clue 3 done and I can start on 4 tomorrow.

Had a break forced on me today, hubby was trying to help and he damp mopped with our (new) swiffer... We know I have sensitivities to certain scents and apparently the swiffer is one of them. After it was too late hubby saw the notice about being well ventilated/have windows open. Of course it is a bit too cold for leaving the door/window open but we did for a bit and then I gave up and we went grocery shopping. By the time we got back my lungs had cleared and I could tolerate the downstairs.

Once I got done we moved some furniture in, and I now have a stereo set up -- hopefully that will give me more ability to stay on task than I've had so far.

So here's picture of a random collection of units. The large calico looks much lighter in the picture than it does to me in real life... That's ok and how it goes with scrap quilting. It will help offset the one that I thought was dark indigo in the bad lighting downstairs but is probably (almost definitely) black... it stays in the mix because the contrast is ok and it doesn't stick out from the others too much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6460.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	646677  
Old 12-16-2023, 08:19 PM

Still working on clue 3 and I started to cut out the units for clue 4.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	646678  
Old 12-17-2023, 12:44 AM

For anyone (including Sandra-P) looking for the cutting sizes for the Deb Tucker method, I found a tutorial that gives the cutting sizes for a version that is not oversized. On page three it gives the formula for cutting the pieces, and then works through an example that finishes at 3" square.

Here are the formulas:
Cut two corner squares ½ inch larger than half the finished size of the unit.
For the smaller triangles cut two rectangles - ½ inch larger than half the finished size of the unit by the finished size.
For the larger triangle cut one rectangle the finished size plus ½ inch x the finished size plus 1½ inches.

Here's an example as if we were making two 10" squares (NOT the size in Bonnie's quilt).
1) Finished size = 10"
2) Half of finished size = 5"
3) Cut two squares at 5 + 1/2 = 5.5" x 5.5"
4) Cut two rectangles at 5 + 1/2 x 10 = 5.5" x 10"
5) Cut one rectangle at 10 + 1/2 x 10 + 1½ = 10.5" x 11.5"

Watching the Deb Tucker video, it looks like she is trimming about 1/4" from each side of her oversized block, meaning that if she did not trim, that block would finish 1/2" inch larger than a "regular" block.

To get the cutting sizes for an oversized version for two 10" blocks, we work out the numbers for a 10.5" block
1) Finished size (pre-trim) = 10.5"
2) Half of finished size = 5.25"
3) Cut two squares at 5.25 + 1/2 = 5.75" x 5.75"
4) Cut two rectangles at 5.25 + 1/2 x 10.5 = 5.75" x 10.5"
5) Cut one rectangle at 10.5 + 1/2 x 10.5 + 1½ = 11" x 12"

Karen of "Just Get It Done Quilts" also has a video showing the (not oversized) version of the method, and includes an interesting variant that allows one to make 8 finished squares at one go.

Last edited by platyhiker; 12-17-2023 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:07 AM

Platyhiker,

Thank you! Thank you! I have had the hardest time and I know part of it is my autoimmune disorder that sometimes like to play with my brain too along with my body. I honestly just could not figure it out. I watched the videos and it still wasnt clicking for me. Terry sent me a PM and also was helpful in explaining it. I have made these units before in a different BH quilt and I was still lost this time. I appreciate everyone who has helped me this time. Sometimes even seasoned quilters need it.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:00 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Is there a die for that?

Glad I could help , Sandra.
Now if you know what AccuQuilt Die/Dies which can be used for Clue 4, please PM me.
TIA!
Old 12-17-2023, 06:58 AM

Just remember to count triangles not squares. I thought I was way short of fabric and this morning realized, I would have made twice as many blocks if I had continued. Can you tell I'm not a math person. I am grateful for those like, platyhiker, who can figure it out.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:46 AM

Nice to see the help and progress -- good going everyone!!

I've been working away on Clue 4 today, have made great progress --- especially considering how slowly I've been moving the past weeks. Having the small stereo set up is a big helper for me. Had to come upstairs for a coffee break, plus I'm out of pins. I'm doing this step by making the neutral/dark blue portions first. Then I'll deal with the red and light blues. I'm glad I got the additional busy neutrals. I think I will mix in a few stronger/brighter light blues into this step. Using my test set as an example, I am not having much difficulty keeping the colors on the correct sides. Every now and then I still pin the wrong edge but figure that out when I put it with the others.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:16 AM

Glad to read about everyone's progress!
I'm ready to start clue #4, but promised DH a chocolate crepe/whip cream cake, so I'd better get to baking instead of sewing. It should go fast and then needs to chill for 3-4 hours, and that will be good sewing time.
Old 12-17-2023, 02:11 PM

Ok. Time for me to grow a spine.

Clue #2 threw me for a loop and I've been over here sulking like a teenager with her phone taken away.

But if one of the goals of a BH mystery is to learn new skills, then I better straighten myself out. As a teacher I constantly talk about resilience - the need to dig in when things get tough. Time to eat my words.

So I printed p9 of the PDF and cut up a cereal box to make the templates and I did *one* block today (not a set, just one). And surprisingly the accuracy was decent....I know there are some people on here who have been around since before the rotary cutter revolution, so you can all sit back and laugh at the youngster rediscovering "the old ways".

I'm also going to (serepiciously at work) make some photocopies of the paper piecing pattern and see how I like that.

Happy VQW to everyone. Love seeing everyone's projects and progress.