Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 12-17-2023, 04:29 PM

lol @Rff1010 …I am picturing you sneaking in the copier room….you got this! Just dig in and go for it.

I finished clue #4. I made the initial squares of all the colors 1/8” larger before cutting them into triangles and quarter triangles. Just a sliver of trim needed. I did it this way cuz I suck at a consistent scant 1/4”. lol….I might as well do a method I know will likely be more successful…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1318.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	479.1 KB
ID:	646687  
Old 12-17-2023, 08:10 PM

Clue 1 finished, on to Clue 2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231217_204609666.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	646699  
Old 12-17-2023, 09:04 PM

I’ve gotten bogged down with a project I thought would be quick. Sometimes I’m not a good judge. And I’ve made a measurement mistake. Grrrrrrrr. Think it’s time to put it aside and have some success.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:44 PM

Teen, those are beautiful!

I went back and finished cutting clue #2 (those are about 1/3 sewn and trimmed); clue #3 is sitting in a pile all ready to be paper pieced. I finished cutting clue #4 today, so I think I'll probably work backwards and alternate between sewing my clue #4 QSTs and paper piecing; I get tired of doing too much paper piecing at one time.

I seem to recall Bonnie saying somewhere that she would take it easy on us over Christmas, so I'm anticipating an easy clue this coming Friday.

Some speculation: Before the days of Covid, Bonnie was traveling a lot, and she would always do the reveal on New Year's Day, because she had all sorts of plans and wanted to get on with the New Year. Then came the kinder, gentler mystery schedules, because she wasn't in a hurry to get off somewhere (personally, I loved the New Year's reveals, although I know lots of people appreciated a later reveal). Now that she's traveling the globe again, I can't help wondering if we have a New Year's reveal in our future!

Another thing I'm wondering about -- I seem to recall seeing on her blog that Bonnie will actually be on a trip to England over next Christmas. I wonder if we will have a regularly scheduled mystery. If so, she'll have to post the clues from abroad (or have someone do it for her -- I remember someone posting Frolic clue #2 for Bonnie, but don't remember why that was).

Old 12-18-2023, 05:29 AM

Rff1010,
We have all been there. I am ready to see if I can do the 8 at a time for clue 3. It has had me bamboozled but I am determined. I know I have made them years ago and I dont like that I forgot how. Keep at it. A lot of Bonnie's blocks are for learning new techniques and I am all for that. Thankfully a couple of people on here took pity and have really helped me so much.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:18 AM

Rff1010 -- so glad you got back on the horse! I actually use templates quite a bit as cutting guides instead of specialty rulers -- is easier and really helps when you need to "snub" a point. When Bonnie points out such snubs, it is usually a really good idea to take notice and see how much easier the pieces go together. I generally have some cardboard around and buy a lot of the gridded plastic, along with my 1/4" gridded paper. I've learned that I will cut and ruin both sorts of templates, so place it on my fabric and then use a small ruler to placement and cut using the ruler/straight edge and not the template.

Teen -- speculation here too that we will soon be putting things together. She did mention in this clue that her special fabric hasn't been used yet. And yes, we usually get an easy week for Christmas (a week from today!). So far no tiny 9-patches or true flying geese (although I'd consider the Clue 3 tops a variation).

I got all my neutral/blue tops done yesterday and cut most of the red. Again, I've noticed my accuracy and consistency are much better than in Clue 1. Hubby apparently was getting lonely so I stopped midway with the reds -- he's not used to me disappearing for hours any more... Today I should finish this clue, or at least get the remaining reds cut and pick out my light blues. Despite all the neutrals I bought, I used up those fat eighths down to threads and have been using up some last little bits of other fabrics, particularly some of the blues. There is a light blue I want to find (it's in the stack...) where I should be able to cut 2 squares, and I want to mix in some darker/bolder light blues.

The little stereo has 5 CDs, maybe not the choices I would want but Bruce Springsteen and Jim Steinman -- love Roy Bittan on keyboards on both of those, early Dylan, Tom Petty greatest hits, and to round things often and soften them down Aaron Neville. Today I think I'll program local radio stations. I already have a car favorite (retro alternative??) and I'll check out a couple others too. Hubby not a fan of Christmas music but tis the season!
Old 12-20-2023, 06:09 AM

I'm almost done with clue 4, and then back to another UFO block set I pulled out a few weeks ago. Been playing with my embroidery machine again, and it got me motivated to dig out a set of embroidered blocks from a few years ago and figure out how to put them together.
Old 12-20-2023, 07:22 AM

I should be finished with Clue 4 today which will be a good thing. With music and the contractor gone, just zipping through the sewing.

My MIL is not doing well. She fell just before Thanksgiving and cracked some ribs. While she was in the hospital and recovery care, it was clear she was experiencing pretty profound dementia (impairment had been previously noticed but not to this extent) and that she wouldn't be able to be released unsupervised. With her physical issues under control, she has been placed in a memory care facility. We will be going up to Michigan and staying probably through the weekend.

I will have my laptop with me, but if I am not prompt with the next clue on Friday, would someone please post the link for Clue 5?? I've been using the PDF link, but the basic link that comes in the email would be fine.

Hope everyone else is doing as well as can be.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:30 AM

Iceblossom, I'm sorry about your MIL.

I have not gotten much done in the past couple of days. It takes me a surprisingly long time to paper piece one set of 6 of clue #3.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:01 PM

chugging along. I got clue 1, and hopefully by the end of the night, I will have all the pieces for Clues 2,3, and 4 cut out and then on to the stitching of them.