Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 12-16-2023, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Merry Christmas to your family, Terri! How many Christmas dinners will you have to cook?

Janice, my tension goes off when PPing if I sew on the paper like they tell you to. When I take the paper out, the stitches look "baggy", because that paper does take up some space in the stitches. I learned somewhere online (couldn't find it for you) the method of folding the paper back along the line and sewing right beside the fold. That keeps my stitches right, and is also easier because there's no paper to pick out.

Wondering how Hav4boys does her PPing?

A2P, so happy that your friend John loved his quilts. I hope they are a lot of comfort to him during his treatments, and after. He's bound to attract a lot of attention at the treatment center, covered in that quilt.

This year I was smart and saved some of the gifts for the GKs birthdays, which come hard and fast after the new year. The first one is Jan 10, followed by two in Feb, two in March, and one April 1st. (Two of those are daughter's bdays, and the rest are the gks.) Hope this will cut down on some of my stress, to have some gifts ready to go.

I'm done with shopping and have mailed the big box off to Iowa. The rest we will carry with us to Memphis. I have some hand projects yet to finish, namely a small gingerbread girl I am crocheting for Ivy. Also have a frog to finish crocheting by February, and a hat I am knitting for my son for Christmas. Love gifts that don't require any running around!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-2023, 06:43 AM

Sewbiz 3 of the 4 kids will be here, 2 son in laws and 4 grandkids for Christmas Eve. We are a pretty small group but believe me it’s a house full!. Mailed off our packages yesterday and ordered the last 2 gifts, just some baking left that is enjoyable for me

Weather here has been pretty bizarre. We have a dusting of snow, lots of foggy days and the temps have been way warmer than usual. Definitely doesn’t feel like the Christmas season.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:48 AM

We’ll be spending the morning and early afternoon with the Asheville family on Christmas. I’ll make a breakfast casserole to pop in their oven and eat 45 minutes later. Can’t wait to see the grands open their gifts. I do hope to make some goodies for neighbors this coming week. I’m in the mood for shortbread but I’ve never made it. Will probably give it a go.

Back to my quilt top assembly. I’ll be at it for days at this rate. Maybe I’ll have a top by New Year’s Eve. I’d be thrilled!

Old 12-17-2023, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I had a hankering to make some gingerbread...(the cake, not the men). Anybody know a fabulous recipe?
Old 12-18-2023, 06:42 AM

That does sound good Sewbiz but I don’t have a recipe
Old 12-18-2023, 08:54 AM

Sewbiz - Good thinking ahead with the gifts. As for the ginger bread, Betty Crocker (www.bettycrocker.com) and Better Homes & Gardens (www.bhg.com/recipes) are my go-tos. I have several of their old recipe books. Betty Crocker has several ginger pound cakes and cookies that you might can adapt.

My neighborhood is planning a mobile feast (progressive dinner, traveling supper, whatever you call it) for Christmas. We are thinking only 3 courses - salad, entree, and dessert. We are planning for about 15 people and we have only 3 houses big enough for that many LOL. It's my first time for this. Has anyone participated in such an event? I am hosting the entree because I got the BEST price on prime rib that I have ever had. I would really appreciate any tips or tricks.

Happy holidays everyone! Enjoy your friends and family!!

Last edited by All2Pieces; 12-18-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:35 AM

SBG, sent you a recipe by email I’ve used numerous times. If you use it, tell me if you liked it. 😉
Old 12-18-2023, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Janice, thank you for your recipe! I'll take it up to Memphis with me.

A2P, the progressive dinner sounds like a lot of fun, especially with 15 people. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:31 PM

Default Progressive dinner

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post
Sewbiz - Good thinking ahead with the gifts. As for the ginger bread, Betty Crocker (www.bettycrocker.com) and Better Homes & Gardens (www.bhg.com/recipes) are my go-tos. I have several of their old recipe books. Betty Crocker has several ginger pound cakes and cookies that you might can adapt.

My neighborhood is planning a mobile feast (progressive dinner, traveling supper, whatever you call it) for Christmas. We are thinking only 3 courses - salad, entree, and dessert. We are planning for about 15 people and we have only 3 houses big enough for that many LOL. It's my first time for this. Has anyone participated in such an event? I am hosting the entree because I got the BEST price on prime rib that I have ever had. I would really appreciate any tips or tricks.

Happy holidays everyone! Enjoy your friends and family!!

I have hosted and done those! They are really fun. Ours were always pretty relaxed. We usually set it up so we could walk from one house to the other. We have hosted the main course before.

Make sure everyone eats prime rib. If not you might ask someone else to bring another dish. If someone brings a vegan dish that usually covers everyone or You can accept a few sides to go with the prime rib. Others can make those. Those could also cover everyone who doesn’t eat prime rib.

We couldn’t get everyone at one table so we had tables set up in various rooms. I really enjoyed those progressive dinners. .
Old 12-19-2023, 06:05 AM

A2P we participated in one last summer at the lake but it was appetizers and cocktails. It was so much fun and met some great people. Hope you have a fabulous time