Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Recommendations Wanted! >

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 11-22-2023, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I'm halfway through the new John Grisham book, which is a sequel to The Firm, and not enjoying it. The plot doesn't move.
Good for for you aashley. I tried to borrow from the library 21 weeks wait time, 7 copies, 71 people on wait list......man, I think I will just wait and may purchase sometime when the price drops below 14.99 on amazon. 21 weeks and I would have forgotten all about it.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:51 AM

I am continuing my 3 or so books a week. Like I say, insomnia sucks but it does give me plenty of reading/listening time. Apparently Fall to end of year is a big time to release books and books I put on my holds list months ago are coming to me right and left. One of those was North Woods by Daniel Mason. Overall I enjoyed it, but going into the future can be problematic and I was somewhat unsatisfied by the last few chapters.

Last time I posted I was just about to start What the River Knows by Isabel Ibanez. It was ok, but at my real life age I'm just not all that involved with teens/early 20s finding themselves as protagonists. I am especially tired of the YA books where they develop super powers... Also, I think I'm better off with series that already have a few books down.

Right now I'm finishing up Corsican Shadow, the latest in Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series. Clive passed in 2020 but he has other authors carrying the various series along. Dirk Pitt by Dirk Cussler... Scott Brick is the narrator. They are very "visual" with lots of action sequences and car crashes and such. My favorite series are the Oregon Files books. Clive Cussler, in addition to being an author, had a number of interests -- including sea exploration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Cussler

Next up after that is a Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I enjoyed the dragon series (Rain Wild Chronicles) that Kalama recommended and have finished them. This is another series by the same author that just came off hold for me.

After that is non-fiction, How to Think Like a Woman: Four Women Philosophers Who Taught Me How to Love the Life of the Mind. One of those, Mary Wollstonecraft I am quite familiar with, the others not so much.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:01 AM

My favorite book, Quilt of Souls, a Memoir, by Phyllis Biffle Elmore. She just recorded it for audio last week, so I am not sure when that part will be available. Its about her, and her grandmother. Grandma only made quilts from clothing of deceased ppl.
I was fortunate to be a proof reader while she was writing it. Such fun. Ice Blossom, hope you read it and enjoy it. Its available on Amazon. Pychonurse
Old 11-25-2023, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by psychonurse View Post
My favorite book, Quilt of Souls, a Memoir, by Phyllis Biffle Elmore. She just recorded it for audio last week, so I am not sure when that part will be available. Its about her, and her grandmother. Grandma only made quilts from clothing of deceased ppl.
I was fortunate to be a proof reader while she was writing it. Such fun. Ice Blossom, hope you read it and enjoy it. Its available on Amazon. Pychonurse
Oh my gosh, that sounds like a great book! Wow, I bet it will be even better read by her. I'll have to check that one out.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by psychonurse View Post
LOL! My grandmother made quilts her whole life. She got the fabric from her husband's job. He worked in a casket factory, and he brought home the coffin fabric scraps to her.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:02 AM

Best books of the year lists are coming out. Turns out I did stumble across a couple of them including The Wager by David Grann, non-fiction. The Wager was a British boat in the 1740s going to South America.

I rather like a number of exploration timber ship stories. A little later in time, the ships Erebus and Terror were searching for the Northwest Passage and were both a complete loss and one of the greatest/largest searches of all time. There are a number of books about them, this century wreckage was finally found, with oral tradition from the indigenous population being a big help.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Erebus_(1826)

Endurance, about Shackleton's quest for the South Pole was fascinating and has been described as one of the best true action books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endura...redible_Voyage

Old 12-10-2023, 07:13 PM

Because I have enjoyed a few of the non fiction suggestions, here is the book I just finished, so well written.
The SIX, the untold story of America’s First Women Astronauts by Loren Grush.
Old 12-23-2023, 01:23 PM

Hoping for lots of reading to get done after the holidays with all of you so this thread can be revived. I always love hearing about good books!
Old 12-24-2023, 12:11 PM

a free download today from the author Kim McDougall
a short story set between book 6 and 7 I think, but gives an idea of the world...and there are DRAGONS
Did I say there were DRAGONS?
https://kimmcdougall.com/oh-come-all-ye-dragons

i've really enjoyed this series, the humans don't have magic, but the world does...I have all 8 or 9 books plus the shorts.
this is the full series if interested:
Valkyrie Bestiary Novels
Dragons Don't Eat Meat
Dervishes Don't Dance
Hell Hounds Don't Heel
Grimalkins Don't Purr
Kelpies Don't Fly
Ghouls Don't Scamper
Devils Don't Lie
Unicorns Don't Cry

Valkyrie Bestiary Novellas
The Last Door to Underhill
The Girl Who Cried Banshee
Three Half Goats Gruff
Oh, Come All Ye Dragons

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 12-24-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

If anyone is still reading this thread....
A friend introduced me to books by Jonathan Cahn, and I'm hooked! I'm reading through all he's written and when I finish I will re-read them, as there's so much to grasp in them. They are listed as fiction, but the Biblical truths and modern day events in them are real and true. Just facinating! Even my hubby who is not normally a reader, is reading Return of the Gods a second time through.

The Harbinger (his oldest, around 2012 and about the World Trade Center and events following)
Harbinger II (2020)
The Oracle
The Mystery of the Shemitah
The Paradigm
The Book of Mysteries (daily readings)
Return of the Gods (2022)
The Josiah Manifesto (2023)

I order these books secondhand online, so I can read and re-read on my own schedule.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 12-30-2023 at 01:33 PM.