New

Old 12-25-2023, 07:49 PM

Default New

Hi. I just joined. I am new not only to quilting but just sewed my first hot pad to learn how to sew. Must say I do need a lot more practice. lol.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:41 AM

Hi, Glad to have you darcic71! There are a lot of great quilters on this board (I'm mostly quiet, but I learn a lot that way). And if you have any questions, there are no dumb questions, but the only bad question is an unasked one. Someone here will have a good answer (I can almost guarantee it won't be me!).
Old 12-26-2023, 03:52 AM

"And if you have any questions, there are no dumb questions, but the only bad question is an unasked one. "
DebbieJJ: Good answer!! Welcome darcic71.
Old 12-26-2023, 04:47 AM

Hello and welcome from Delaware. I think the only good way to learn is jump in a do it! Keep it small projects until you learn your machine. And then maybe a table topper or runner. Definitely don't jump straight into a king sized quilt! Check to see if your local quilt shop (if you have one) teaches a beginner quilting series. If not check online. I think we you first start quilting there is so much you don't know that you don't know what to ask. So ask away here. Someone will definitely know the answer.
Old 12-26-2023, 04:56 AM

Welcome to the Board, darcic71. Wander the site, post pictures of your work and what you are wondering about. So many helpful folks and as you know....we were all new at this quilting thing at some point. For my 2 cents, learn at your own pace. As long as learning the ins and outs of quilting is a pleasure, you will continue. Enjoy the fun and satisfactions of creating.
Old 12-26-2023, 06:38 AM

Welcome and you started off with a small enough project to see if you even like to sew plus it's useable. Who cares if its not perfect. Do you think our projects were perfect when we first started to sew? At least not mine were. Hope to see more of you here and get a glimpse of your next projects. We're here to try to answer any questions you might have or send you where you might find the answers.

Again, welcome from the state of Iowa
Old 12-26-2023, 07:39 AM

Welcome aboard -- we all start somewhere and end somewhere else...

Glad you found us and sewing both. Some things can only be learned by practice, I maintain that sewing is fine motor skills just like cards or magic tricks. Plus we have so many terms and abbreviations and different ways of doing things to add confusion. I've been quilting for a long time, but had about 18 months of non-sewing due to moving. Egads, I was all over the place when I started back up. Now that I've been doing daily/weekly sewing for a couple months I am much more accurate than I was a couple months ago.

Have fun, be gentle to yourself, and keep trying. If you need clarification or support, we are here