Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 12-24-2023, 06:04 PM

Clue 3 is done!! Now to finish cutting clue 4 and to start cutting for clue 5. This 3 day weekend will help me to get caught up with the clues. I figure slow and steady will get it done.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:31 PM

I settled on a focus fabric. Now I'm realizing that the various clue #5 methods essentially equate the square-in-a-square unit with the snowball unit -- but are they really the same? With the sq-sq unit, you have larger triangles sewn to the diagonal sides of a smaller square. With the snowball unit, you have smaller triangles being attached to the corners of a larger square. Does this end up with the same surface area of the central fabric, and an equal amount of neutral? Bonnie used the traditional method she listed, which means she is working with a fabric set on its side, which could be a hint that we're ending up on point. On the other hand, the embroidery design on her fabric doesn't seem directional, so it might not matter with her fabric. It's not going to matter much with my fabric, either, but I'm back to being undecided on which method to use, and thinking I'm better off waiting.

I wonder if we'll get an extra clue this week. I guess it depends on whether we're in wrapping up mode, or extended finish mode. Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-24-2023 at 10:39 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-25-2023, 12:20 PM

Merry. Christmas, everyone! Hoping everyone’s holiday is blessed and peaceful…. 🎄

I finished my big embroidery project (I am loving my new machine…so much fun)…I cut out clue 5 last night and decided to use a single blue and a single neutral for all of them….a bit patriotic fabrics since I’m hoping for a QOV option when done. We’ll see how it goes. I may be able to whip these out this evening. I am sewing them the traditional way but I will PP if not happy with them..
Old 12-25-2023, 06:21 PM

Ha! I am not whipping out clue 5 at all, more like a slow backward crawl! Anyway, I think I finally figured out my method. I am using the simple folded ruler method with the over-sized triangles. It seems to be a slow method but at least the blocks come out right. I have made a grand total of 2 of them so far. Yep, more to go. what method have you found the easiest? The fastest? inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:46 PM

I'm giving this a lot of thought, because I want to pick the method that is the least amount of work. Not that I'm averse to work, but my back isn't allowing a lot of cutting right now. The Simple Folded Corners ruler method seemed like the most straightforward to me. I thought I could use the Accuquilt to cut the squares, then realized I don't have the right size die for the smaller squares (but those wouldn't take that long with regular cutting). Then I started thinking about the difference between having a straight up square with corners sewn on vs. a diagonal square with triangles on the sides, and how it will be oriented in the end. I also thought of doing the largest set with the V-Block trimmer, and the smaller sets using the traditional method. Dither, dither.
Old 12-26-2023, 05:34 AM

Feels good to be home! I plan on sewing today away from the hubby -- a bit too much togetherness under a stressful situation and I need some space and peace. No sewing group today or next Tuesday so I should be able to be productive at home.

I plan on using the flip technique. I find that drawing the line with pencil and sewing just above the line on the uphill side gives me the right amount of flip/crease and I can use actual measurements. That's also what Bonnie says in the directions, the line is the fold and not the sewn line.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:21 AM

I tried the flip and fold method, I just can't get it right! I don't know why, about half work, the other half don't. Well, the good news is that I have now gotten all the cutting done for the clues up to date. Sadly, the only one actually stitched is Clue 1. So, a lot of stitching is being planned for this week but I doubt I will get it all done before Friday. Not a race, right?
Old 12-26-2023, 07:34 AM

Not a race! A reminder though, that if you can print the clues it can be really helpful in general and especially if you are not doing them as released. The clues are eventually taken down and you can buy the pattern as a non-mystery somewhere around February.

I'm taking a break, got my Dark Blue/Indigo squares for Clue 5 cut and went through my small scraps of the Neutrals, I will be able to use a couple of the remainders of the original fat eighths scraps, especially since not all the squares have the same number of Neutrals, I'm glad to be able to mix them in. I'm going to stretch out and relax for a bit before I cut the neutrals, got up early. Michigan is in east coast time zone and is an hour earlier than Illinois in central time. We were there just long enough for me to switch to early...

Slow and steady wins the non-race
Old 12-26-2023, 09:48 AM

I'm taking a break too because of work. Will be travelling so no sewing machine - but looking forward to getting back in a few weeks and putting it all together. I decided to do 2 colorways. One in navy, gray, red, and cream (similar to BH's colors) and one in stormy gray, pool blue, hot pink, light pink, and coral for the reds, and white. The focal fabric brings it all together. All came from my stash. The first color way is mostly sewn except for clue 5 where I plan to do some fussy cutting for the focal fabric, the second is cut with a few blocks sewn but coming along well. Love the focal fabric for this one but no fussy cutting.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:16 AM

I am almost finished with Clue 4 - just have to trim the dog ears on the last 8, then press and trim them. The others are waiting patiently for me to finish these!

My knee if healing well from my partial knee replacement on Dec. 5th, and I am walking great. Still have post surgery PT, and my guy does not want me to stand for more than 10 minutes, then sit for a while! Just cannot do it! Made dinner for 9 yesterday, and was on my feet quite a bit. I did not have time to do my exercises the past two days! Oh well, at least I can walk great!

I will start cutting Clue 5 soon and do not know which choice I will use for the corners. I have had success with the Simple Folded Corner Mini Ruler before, so will start with that one.