Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself? >

Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself?

Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself?

Old 12-26-2023, 06:03 PM

spam reported
Old 12-27-2023, 01:10 PM

It is sometimes (especially easy on the good quilted side as the pieces are all lined up) to use a piece of plain cotton between the iron and the quilt. My piece of fabric gets a bit scorched over time so I must be saving my quilts!
Old 12-27-2023, 04:11 PM

Here's the closest to 'best press's: 1/2 c sta-flo starch, 1 cup vodka and a gallon of distilled water! I have dozens of fans when I make this!!
Old 12-28-2023, 06:16 AM

If the weather is good, I mix Sta-Flo, either 1:1 or 1:2, with water and hang outside.

If I can't hang outside, I use the spray. While the non-aerosol is no longer available in stores near me, it can be ordered online. Niagara also used to make a gallon bottle that is no longer made. When I use spray starch, I put an old towel on the floor bc of overspray, and I iron while wet bc I'm too impatient. I haven't had any problems with it flaking or scorching.

Vodka has no starch in it, regardless of what it is made from. Any starch that was in ingredients would be removed during the distillation process. People who have done experiments with this believe that it's possible the alcohol itself is responsible for the improved ironing results.