Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend—New Years Eve and New Years Day >

Virtual Quilting Weekend—New Years Eve and New Years Day

Virtual Quilting Weekend—New Years Eve and New Years Day

Old 01-01-2024, 07:18 AM

Happy New Year!

I didn't make it to midnight but then I wasn't trying. Got up early this morning and trimmed my Bonnie Hunter units and thought I'd be switching over to my Christmas String project -- but Bonnie released an extra clue today so it will be back to blue and red for my sewing.

Speaking of Blue, hubby's beloved U Michigan is in the Rose Bowl today and we had no way to watch it, so he signed up for yet another streaming service... We didn't watch the Seahawks yesterday but we will be watching football today. Hopefully it goes better for him than the Detroit Lions game on Saturday.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:48 PM

img_20231231_182545173.jpgimg_20240101_093033908.jpg
We had our family Christmas yesterday. My daughter's two children came home with DH and I to spend the night. As I was sewing there started to be a lot of questions and curiosity about my machine and how it worked. One thing lead to another and they both wanted to help. They took turns pressing the presser foot up down and needle up down buttons for me. I'm hoping one of them wants to make a quilt at some point. They were so proud this morning when we finished sewing the last pillow. Now I'll work on trimming and turning them right side out and finish prepping them for next summers distribution to the vendor.

Thank you Heather for hosting this special VQW edition. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is going to be working on in a few weeks.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:14 PM

Woo Hoo!! My first finish for 2024! (OK total transparency forces me to admit that 95% of it was sewn in 2023) Single sized scrappy donation top made with 2 inch and 3.5 inch squares. Pattern name is Double Four Patch

I like to add a border to my scrappies so that the quilter does not have to deal with a bunch of possibly unraveling seams along the edges. This baby finished at 75x90 inches.

Thanks for hosting Heather. Happy New Year everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1813 (Small).JPG
Views:	47
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	646853  
Old 01-01-2024, 02:58 PM

Thimblebug6000 – Gorgeous quilt!

Iceblossom – we have the Michigan game too.

Quiltah Mama -aren’t grandchildren wonderful!

Gingerk – wonderful quilt!

All I have to show is strips and squares but put a big dent in the cutting for the quilts.

Name:	20240101_131015.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	501.9 KB
ID:	646854  

Last edited by Cam's gram; 01-01-2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:56 PM

aashley333-did you get the seahorse sandwiched?

Iceblossom—I haven’t made it to midnight in over 20 years!

Quiltah Mama—sounds like you have some future quilters

GingerK—it only matters when you finish the project 😄

Well I got the two charity quilts pieces today and pulled out backing for them and cut batting. Hope to finish them by end of week. We did some sorting through clothes in the closet and I filled a couple bags to donate. We’re slowly (very slowly!) working our way through stuff. It’s difficult to get my husband willing to get rid of stuff.

See you all back here in a a couple weeks 🙂
Old 01-02-2024, 05:38 AM

105" long! I did sandwich my quilt and began the FMQ. The light blue thread that I chose has almost none on the spool! I will need more I'm sure. (I now need to stock up on colors for all over quilting) The hardest part was overcoming FMQ anxiety. Once I started, i became more relaxed. After I run to town to check on Mom, I'll have all afternoon to quilt!
PS-I used Glow in the Dark white where white was indicated-very cool effect in the dark!

Name:	IMG_2626.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	646864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2625.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	646865  

Last edited by aashley333; 01-02-2024 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:26 AM

I didn't realize the quild zoom would go through the night and until noon NYD, but I did stitch until about 10:30 pm then joined DH watching some TV countdowns, we had a glass of bubbly at 11 and headed to bed about 11:30 to listen to all the local fireworks.
sewbiz - Forest Galorest was designed by Karen Brow for Java House Quilts
Merry Mayhem - working on part 4 of 7, need to get busy as the free pattern expires on the 5th I think and I don’t print it out anymore
zig zag from crazymomquilts blog - have started to assemble baby quilt
And in between all this, I managed to get Xmas decorations and tree all boxed and mostly put back in the attic. And DH and I went out in the fresh air for a couple hours, I love my walks!
Today is my little group where we meet and hand stitch, so no progress on these until later,

Name:	IMG_2202.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	646866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	646867  
Old 01-02-2024, 03:52 PM

I got one quilt top done and started on the next. The second is turning out pretty ugly so I will finish it up and use as a donation. Someone will like it, I hope.
when posting photos I used to have the option to change size before downloading. That option has disappeared and I can’t find a way to post now. What a disappointment 😟