Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-01-2024, 07:36 PM

Quiltbear and Joe’smom….your blocks are both gorgeous… will be beautiful finishes….

I finished all of clue 7…then packed up my Christmas stuff…..and cleaned my sewing room. I start a sew along with some friends next week so I’ll need to get organized for that. We are off and running for 2024…lol..
Old 01-02-2024, 03:30 AM

How fun to see the blocks go together. Good going all!

I went to bed early and got up again in the middle of the night, just my usual insomnia sort of stuff. The hourglass units went together quickly and easily, I'm glad I figured out my cutting mistake before sewing. In the Rhododendron Path mystery I made twice as many units as I needed to in one step, it felt like a never ending slog and for good reason but I didn't catch it right away,

My Tuesday group is not meeting again today so I should get some blocks put together. Some of the reds won't match but I think it will be ok since they don't touch.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:07 AM

Beautiful blocks everyone! Congratulations!
Old 01-02-2024, 07:10 AM

Love the blocks posted! I've been working on the Merry Mayhem mystery and haven't started the last clue yet.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:36 AM

I was thinking that I would not have time to do this years mystery because I have been sick for a month. Know that I am feeling better I going to jump in and get started by pulling the fabric that I need. I like the colors that she has chosen but never knew Bonnie to use a solid color before. I have a big piece of solid red that needs a quilt to call home and I have finally found one.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:24 PM

Welcome aboard Craft! Never too late to join but make sure you download/print off the clues before they are taken down/made into a paid pattern -- or you can wait and pay for the non-mystery version. Nice thing is you can see how it goes together.

I'm working away on my blocks, have all the sub-units/clue sets divided into blocks but still have quite a bit of sewing to go.

Attached is a picture that my friend Barb sent me -- she is lurking in the thread and sending me email updates. I tried to crop out the cutting mat numbers as Bonnie has requested. This is her first Bonnie Hunter project and turns out she is having a good time. She works almost entirely in batiks so that is what she has for scraps/available. Looks like she changed to dark blues to dark browns -- I like it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Barb Block.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	646884  
Old 01-02-2024, 04:41 PM

The block is beautiful, and looks so different in those colors (the On Ringo Lake palette).
Old 01-03-2024, 05:35 AM

Iceblossom, your friend's colors are very pretty. I had to order more fabric yesterday, even though I was trying not to buy more. But I had cut way too many of one clue and needed more yellow paisley. I found it on Ebay and it is on it's way. I have enough pieces that I can sew some blocks together.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:29 AM

I do love the alternate color ways like Barb's Chocolate, Turquoise and Flame/Peachy?? with the creamy background. I am already thinking ahead to next year's mystery and that I plan to use Beige (tan-cream) as a neutral because I have a lot of that. Will have to wait until Halloween to see what Bonnie's and then my colors look like

Another early morning sewing for me and time for a break. I feel like I've been doing a lot of sewing and I have! First Clue 6, then the Hourglasses and now blocks with Clue 7 all this week. I've gotten all the small subunits into strips and maybe later today (or tomorrow...) I'll get the blocks done. Attached is a sample block as they are in the strips. I'm not particularly happy with how busy my neutrals are as a whole in this project, but they are working out. I was able to put together the block sets with non-matching fabrics, so (if I have the count right) 3 different dark blues and 2 different neutrals. I can feel the differences between my 2+ reds but is harder for me to see unless I am looking. It was my Clue 2 that had the widest range of reds. In good news, I've used up most of the small pieces of red, especially with my miscuts!

I'm expecting Friday's clue to have the alternate blocks and border treatment of some sort from the pieces we have left (Clues 2, 3 and 5 and maybe 6), and probably the final reveal as well. My guesses so far have been pretty much wrong so maybe 2 more clues and not 1 and maybe 2 and 6 will change places from my mental vision.

BTW, RN-Quilter, one of the series I missed listing was Bodies, enjoyed that time travel/detective short series.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clue 7 in Progress.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	646894  
Old 01-03-2024, 08:20 AM

Iceblossom, your block is absolutely lovely!

I had not had that 'settled' feeling I get when things are finalized, with my focus fabric. So last night I made three more clue 5 units, one with a fabric I thought might work, and two with fabrics I'd written off immediately as too busy to put with my neutral. My reasoning was, you can't really tell what it will look like until it's in the proper form. So the fabric I'd written off immediately -- which has always been the one I really wanted to use -- I loved it, even though it didn't work. So I made up a QST with it, and that confirmed that it is the one I really want to use in both blocks. So I thought of a way I can use it in clue 5, but I'll have to wait for some fabric to arrive before I can try it. Meanwhile, I still have plenty of sewing to do with the paper piecing of clue 3, using clues 4, then the rest of 2, then 6 as leader-enders.

Iceblossom, I agree on your assessment of what to expect on Friday. I think some part of those larger sets from clue 3 will end up in a border. I wonder if there will be any extra pieces to construct after the reveal. Someone on Quiltville suggested that after clue 7 we have used 99% of our fabric.