Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler Repair Tip >

Ruler Repair Tip

Ruler Repair Tip

Old 01-02-2024, 10:27 AM

Default Ruler Repair Tip

I was using my favorite arc ruler with my longarm and managed to get it under the hopping foot. The result of this was shattered chunk that left a nick in the side. This would be visible in the quilting because the foot dipped into the nick making a blip in the quilted curve. It wasn't an inexpensive tool so I wanted to try to repair it. I settled on using a uv cure adhesive. By adding a drop, curing with uv, then repeating the process, I was able to build up the gap beyond the surface. I then used a dremel tool and very fine sandpaper to bring the contact edge back to where it should be - continuous with the curve. This fix worked very well and was easy to do. I happened to find the uv cure adhesive at the local dollar store so it was cheap as well. I don't recall seeing this anywhere before so I thought I would share.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:29 AM

What a great solution - I've not had any issues with my rulers yet but as you say, they are EXPENSIVE!!! Nice to think there is a reasonable solution out there. You mention using a dremel - do you think it would have worked (although taken longer) just with the sandpaper?

Thanks for the idea!
Old 01-03-2024, 03:11 AM
Gay

So glad you found this solution. I had a ruler sent from USA with a DWR quilt book, the found the ruler was broken, and tried the same idea using nail gel and a UV lamp. That was several years ago and it's still good.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:17 AM

What is uv cure adhesive? I'm not familiar with it but sounds like something I should know about!
Old 01-03-2024, 05:36 AM

Great tip. I've chipped a couple of rulers the same way. Never heard of UV cure adhesive but I will find some now.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:51 AM

What sort of UV cure did you use? Did you have to have a special light? I see the ones the nail places use.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:19 AM

The dollar store version that I had was called 5 Second Fix. It comes with its own uv light. The high end version of uv activated glue is called Bondic and I see that Home Depot sells Superweld Light Activated glue. This is from the company that makes JB weld epoxy, of which I am a big fan, so I would think it is a quality product.
The cured cement can be formed with just sandpaper, it will just take more time. I am not very patient and since I have a dremel, I went with that to take down the bulk of the material. Sanding the last bit gave me the control to keep the arc edge even.
Google' uv activated glue' and you should come up with options. The cheapo worked fine for my needs and it is the only one I've used so I can't speak to the others. BTW, this was developed as a dental adhesive. Its how the dentist can quickly attach a crown and send you out the door.