Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders >

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

Old 01-03-2024, 04:24 PM

First, I don't have a hat and have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry.
Second, I have checked the Ricky Tims site several times today for the video. Central time is now after 6 pm and it is still not viewable.
I understand it is to be crumbs this time so I hope that is sufficient info to carry on. I may try the site once more tomorrow, but will call off the search for it after that. Quite disappointed that it has not been posted.
Please let me know if there's anything else to know other than "crumbs". Is there a prescribed size to the piece of fabric made of crumbs or mandatory placement, etc.
Thanks,
Joyce
Old 01-03-2024, 04:37 PM

Hi Joyce
The hat business was a suggestion for taking pictures of all of us in kooky Mad Adder hats. That's all.
And no, no rules.
There was a demonstration on how to sew together small bits of fabric to make a bigger piece that then could/should be added to the flimsy somewhere. Any size, any shape, anything you want to do as long as you have at least 2 bits of fabric-or 3 or 4 bits- sewn together to make a larger one.
You didn't miss much. The video is still not available, but I will also watch for it.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:06 PM

Gotta love no rules! He just wants us to love to use our scraps. The example he showed was a scene but one part of the scene was done in a range of pinks instead of the solid pinks used in the other parts of the hanging. He demonstrated how he puts his crumbs together.

Here is the easy way that I do it. Sew my fabric scraps onto a piece of paper ala Bonnie Hunter. Then cut the shape out that is needed for the block I'm making (square, triangle, whatever). Poof! crumbs used. But he didn't call them crumbs. I just checked the website again and it still isn't posted.

Ricky is asking for pictures of the groups so I thought it might be fun to use funny hats to be the focus of our pictures.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:42 PM

Joyce - maybe refresh your browser, clean out your cache, try a different browser? The video is posted...
Old 01-03-2024, 08:26 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

I’m not a hat person, have one I use for gardening but will see if there’s anything I can come up with. Crumbs 🤦‍♀️ not a huge fan and just donated a ton of scraps to someone on Reddit 😂. I was late flinging my flimsy too, Ibex. Luckily Shawnee has said no big deal but gosh I hate that she doesn’t get it until Friday. Thanks for understanding Shawnee 😊
Old 01-03-2024, 10:46 PM

I think we're ALL late in flinging our flimsies, lol. It will be okay.

I need time to process Ricky's instructions anyway, which if I'm being totally honest, is a little annoying to me.... I'm not a huge fan of crumb, frugal, tidbit, whatever-you-want-to-call-it-quilting. Definitely going to be a challenge trying to come up with an idea what to do next. But I guess that's why I'm here, right? To challenge myself and step out of my comfort zone?
Old 01-04-2024, 05:15 AM

Peggy I am with you on the crumb thing...and I think the key is the size of the crumbs. If they are too small the whole exercise is frustrating and the seams are a nightmare.

I also get really mad when the refrain of thriftiness comes up over and over for quilters...it is not a limitation other artists put on themselves, so why quilters? I suspect it is an echo of the sexism and gender stereotyping of the past, where women did not control any of the household discretionary spending.

All that said, I am all for scrap busting...just not frustrating scrap busting. It can be surprisingly hard to find a scrap busting approach that is not drudgery-laden!

So here is a wonderful video from one of my favourite quilt bloggers for you! She made a fantastic "crumb" quilt that is gloriously colourful:
https://agilejack1.com/2022/07/04/ag...lock-tutorial/

she links to her YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RgB3ZsGRJU
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	agilejackcrumbquilt.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	515.2 KB
ID:	646910  
Old 01-04-2024, 10:48 AM

Joyce the hat thing is a Ricky Tims idea. He has mentioned it on - I think - all the zoom videos as a way for teams to get together, take team pics and 'break the ice' as we get to know each other. He has suggested we send in the pics so that he could post them on/in the zoom vids. Or just for ads for future Mad Adder projects? Whatever....it's supposed to be fun for us?

Maybe we should all chime in on whether or not we want to do this before people start spending money on silly hats they don't really want?
I am completely camera shy, so if I have a hat, it will cover most of my face in any pic.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:57 AM

Do not buy any hats for this unless if we move forward with it! I plan on peeping from behind mine. I have no desire for my face to be broadcast everywhere.

I bet if you do a paper piecing project as an add on, that counts as a a scrappy something! Tons of free paper piecing projects out there. Another option is to sew a bunch of strips together as if you were going to do a checkerboard, and then cut a square or triangle or rectangle from the strips. I'm thinking piano key framing. It doesn't have to be wonky. Making a rectangle from multiple fabrics makes great borders. He is calling it "Tidbits" instead of crumb. I sure hope we're allowed to talk about the challenges in here!

The video is finally up! I didn't have to clear out cookies to get it. He was just late in posting.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:58 AM

I think it would be fun to take a picture of us that DOESN'T show our faces. Those of us with hats can sort of bow our heads so all you see is the hat. I have a couple of fun ideas for people who don't have hats - wrap your hair with a towel and lower your chin, so all we see is the towel. Or wear a drawstring hoodie with the hood up and drawstring fully engaged, so all we see is a nose sticking out. Or draw/cut out a silly face on a paper bag and put it over your head. Lol!! I'm giggling just thinking about it! I know the hat thing is supposed to be a play on "mad hatters" and "mad adders", but Ricky would be the first to say there are no rules about that, and no reason why we can't improvise and have fun with it.

Regarding the video - it takes quite some time for videos to process and upload. They are massive files. If you watch it live, plan on it being unavailable for at least an hour or so before you can go back and watch a replay.