Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-03-2024, 09:53 AM

I've got the hourglass blocks sewn up. I do hope there aren't any more as I've used up most of my variety. I still have plenty of fabric as I have at least one of each color group that I had more than 3 yards of to begin with. I figured I'd use one of them for the binding, but will decide that after the top is together.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:57 AM

Iceblossom - I think your block looks great!

I have put about six blocks together and found that my leader/ender half square triangle blocks (Blue Ridge Beauty Quilt) are almost completed! I think I will cut the Clue 6 blocks and use them as my leader/ender for the rest of my Clue 7 blocks! Then I will go back to putting the Blue Ridge Beauty blocks together (four patches & half square triangle blocks)!

I am having so much fun with this Mystery!!!
Old 01-03-2024, 02:45 PM

Here is one of mine. Looks patriotic to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	blocks.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	646905  
Old 01-03-2024, 06:42 PM

I'm having a terrible time. Can't seem to get anything accomplished correctly. So I am not making any progress.
Clue 1 - finished
Clue 2 - cut out
Clue 3 - Partial sewn incorrectly. Needs to be taken undone and resewn
Clue 4 - Partially cut out
Clue 5 - Not started yet
Clue 6 - Cut the wing triangles out of the wrong fabric
Clue 7 - Not started yet
I am running out of fabric. don't know if I have enough to finish. going to have to raid the stash and see if I can find something that works with my purchased fabric. I am hoping that I can work on it tomorrow. I plan on working on clue 2.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:50 PM

Julie1, sorry you're having such a hard time! I still have lots to do, too, if that's any comfort.

Really looking forward to Friday!
Old 01-03-2024, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the list on TV shows and series, Iceblossom.
Also for the addendum in another post😁
You are the best! 🌷💝
I have forwarded it to DH, so now I can get back to stitching😁
Old 01-04-2024, 01:36 AM

Julie - sending love. Have patience with yourself.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:21 AM

Julie1, so sorry you are having a bad time. First take a deep breath. Give yourself a big hug and know that you are not the only person who has had a bad time with a Bonnie Hunter project. Trust me, there are plenty of BHUFO (bonnie hunter unfinished objects) out there, mystery and otherwise. Heck, there are all sorts of projects gone bad out there from all sources. You don't have to finish this, or at least not right now. It is not a race, but it is a lot of concentrated sewing. You can just walk away from this project entirely, you are more important than a handful of fabric.

If you choose to go on, Clue 2 was hard for many of us, and the triangle in a square comes back again as Clue 6. You said for that step you cut the side wings from the wrong fabric, is there any way the fabric you cut can still work? I'm thinking 6 will be part of the border treatment so it might be fine with the "wrong" side wings -- we will probably know more on Friday.

For me and your Clue 3, sometimes I'd rather just trash a bunch of non-usable pieces than take them apart and redo. You can use the new pieces to add more fabrics to your mix and hopefully making sure you have enough fabric. I think you were using one fabric for each set?? I'd have to go back through the thread, but there's nothing wrong in having 2 or more similar (or different!) fabrics instead. I have certainly done the redos before but now I use my declining vision as an excuse to buy new fabric and start over. But back in the day when I was doing a Storm at Sea I sewed all my first skinny triangles to the big diamond the wrong way. Carefully picked out all the stitches and sewed them the wrong way a second time! Yikes!!! must be more than 20 years later and I still remember. There are reasons on why I want to do the same step the same way for all my units, but now I typically make a few test units before committing to the whole batch.

Maybe you can salvage enough of your existing units and fabric to make a smaller sized project like Sandra-P?? Or even smaller???

Do what is right for you. We will be here to support you however you decide to go.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:53 AM

I way over cut for one BH mystery, ended up with about 300 small triangles in brown and neutrals. They finally found a home in a all HST quilt. The top is still waiting to be quilted.

I also gave up on one mystery and simply put together what I had in a way I liked, and made a through size quilt. I was behind and when the reveal came out, realized I wasn't going to like it so why bother continuing. I don't like leaving stuff unfinished, but have no problem going a different direction to get to the finish. Sometimes things need to mellow for a while before I get an idea of what to do with them too. Nearly ten years ago I did the 50 paper pieced stars, it took me a few years to get all 50 done, and they've been sitting in a tote since waiting for me to get inspiration to put them into a top. I cleaned up a lot of UFO's over last summer, but that is still waiting.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:57 AM

Hang in there Julie1. It's not a race, enjoy the ride. I have often worked on the Mystery Quilts thru out the year. My only goal is to finish before the next Friday after Thanksgiving rolls around. For some the joy is seeing how fast it can be done. There are all types of quilters.