Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are We Organizing Today 2024 >

What are We Organizing Today 2024

What are We Organizing Today 2024

Old 01-02-2024, 07:17 PM

Started this new year by going through my UFO projects and making a list of what needs to be done to finish them. Each UFO is now in their own project box with blocks, fabric, pattern, etc. Next will be to go through all my fabric and decide what I want to keep and will actually use. And a rearrangement of my fabric storage and sewing room.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:10 AM

Buckeye quilter, congratulations on your first day officially away from your work and into your sewing space. I remember that feeling of freedom to do just what I pleased along with the twinge of sadness over the loss of a lifelong of habits. Enjoy your day at the machine!
Old 01-03-2024, 04:33 AM

I spent my day organizing my UFOs. A much longer list than I anticipated. Tops to be quilted on one list and kits and PHDs on another list. I haven't even started on cleaning the studio yet. I gotta get busy!
Old 01-03-2024, 08:10 AM

Looks like everyone is off to a great start.
WMUTeach- yes, I watch her declutter challenge every year, but I don't follow it step by step since my clutter is different than hers LOL.
Buckeye quilter- congrats on retirement and getting a head start on the flannel.

This morning I pulled out all the knitting books, tools and supplies I could find. I've set aside the sock yarns and double pointed needles in my keep pile. Then I started sorting the yarns. I had cones of viscose, cotton and rug wool that was from my weaving days-these will go in the sell or donate pile. Then I pulled out the 4 knitting project bags and emptied them into two baskets- 1 for needles and 1 for smaller notions. I also found some novelty yarns that will be fun to use for couching experiments- those are on the keep pile. I also decided to throw out all the swatches I'd done over the years- nearly filled the trash can!. Then I called it quits for the day and will start again tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll photograph today's sell or donate pile and put the yarn on eBay in lots.

Friday I'll work on the two remaining totes of yarn- these are mixed groups of hand spun and nice commercial yarns. Not sure what I'll do with those yet, but may try to sell them on eBay or offer to a friend who knits.

Keep it up everyone!

Rob

Old 01-03-2024, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Happy New Year everyone and Rob, thanks for starting a new thread.
The lists are impressive!
I cleaned my sewing room quite well before having my second knee replacement. (still on the mend but almost ready to sew again).
I am FINALLY getting the hang of FMQ so this year I have a goal of finishing many tops from who knows how long ago?????? I hope I even still like them. LOL
I'm also going to try not to buy every FQ bundle that speaks to me. I'll have to live to be 200 to use up all my fabric.

Rob, I also have tons of yarn and haven't done much knitting the last few years. Maybe time for me to purge as well.

Old 01-03-2024, 04:51 PM

No sewing room organization today but I did get the Christmas tree un-decorated and the decorations organized and put into their proper storage boxes. Christmas left my bathrooms too and the bench outside my entry door has lost its holiday flair. It is now strictly winter! Guess that is organizing but not in my sewing room. OOPS! Back to the sewing room tomorrow. I have a regular Thursday Quilting Zoom with some friends so I need to find at least one project I can do mindlessly while we chat, stitch and sip tea.

Rob and the rest on this thread, being strong and just a little ruthless will leave you with room for what you really want. Karen Brown suggested getting rid of subscriptions today or was it yesterday? She including the internet sites that we don't use. I dumped a number of quilt sites that I never use and that just clutter up my mailbox everyday with ads. Good idea in my book. I don't follow her faithfully but she doesn't ask for us to do that. I glean ideas for de cluttering and move on.

Happy organization, everyone. I am anxious to get started with the sewing part of de cluttering.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 01-03-2024 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:18 PM

My sewing room (our livingroom which we never used) was completely emptied before Christmas for renovation (paint, flooring). Now I'm putting things back in... what a job!
I am also changing out storage furniture and that's involving a whole lot of rethinking....
I usually set aside stuff to take to our guild meetings for the free table, but we are only meeting via zoom Jan- Mar, so I have no extra place to store this stuff... that has kind of hampered my cleaning out. I am organizing things, and I have set aside some stuff to take next week when I meet with two others I get together with semi regularly during the winter to sew. I will see what they will take, and if there isn't much left, try and find space to keep it until in person guild meetings start back up.
I am very anxious to get set back up so I can sew!
Old 01-03-2024, 06:07 PM

Congratulations, Buckeye Ohio, on your retirement!
Old 01-04-2024, 04:36 AM

Today my goal is to gather all my WIPs and Kits into one place since I have found them tucked in every conceivable corner of my studio. Once i gather them together, I can add them to my List and make plans to finish or donate.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:07 AM

I used to sell a lot on eBay, but haven't done so for a number of years. So today when I went to make my listing for the first few batches of yarn, I learned that eBay no longer pays into PayPal accounts, but instead wants your checking account to do so. Also discovered how much shipping prices have gone up. Pulled the listing. Will instead either just donate the yarns, or have a studio yard sale later in the month. Rats.

Oh well.

Rob