Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-05-2024, 07:03 AM

I really like this one! Will be fun to get it all together and see what it looks like with my fabric.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:43 AM

This is a spectacular reveal….will make a fabulous QOV. I calculated my units based on a 4x4 layout versus BH 6x6 layout….I am only short 6 units to finish this up so that pleases me. Love on-point layouts… I’ll be working on this today so, hopefully, I’ll get this assembled fairly quickly.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:24 AM

I am in love with this quilt as well! It is wonderful!

I feel it will take me a month or better to finish, as I have all of Clue 6 to do, and half of Clue 7 before I can start on Clue 8!

Old 01-05-2024, 02:33 PM

I don't know how I feel about the on point layout ... But I think that might be easy enough to test once I have a few a & b units constructed. It is a MAGNIFICENT quilt however. Some of you are going to have quite the showpiece!
Old 01-05-2024, 05:09 PM

Slow and steady assembly…lots of points but I am loving this….and really like my navy star fabric I used for the constant…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1329.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	612.9 KB
ID:	646931  
Old 01-05-2024, 10:36 PM
Power Poster

Well, it's a stunning reveal. I downloaded all the clues, but can't think of a time when I will feel like making all those same units! Maybe one day.
Those of you who kept up with the clues are going to have a big payday very soon!
Old 01-06-2024, 05:54 AM

Wow, Teen - look at you go!!

I didn't do much yesterday. Not quilting and not much of anything -- I did roast some vegetables! I did put together my sub-units into block parts for the full blocks. Today I will make the few extra pieces and work on the setting/half triangle blocks. And I did do some thinking.

One of the things I really like about Bonnie's designs is how the alternating blocks go together. I consider myself pretty good at being able to look at a quilt and see the blocks or organization, but they... lose their edges?? in her designs. I figured the focus fabrics would be the center of blocks and that we would be trimming down some setting triangles -- but I guessed wrong (again) on the direction of the triangles.

My assorted reds will be somewhat noticeable in the final construction, but maybe I will do something with them in a path or area, or maybe I'll just be random. Either way, I'm happy that the reds don't actually meet. Been nervous the whole time on how my decision would work in the final project. Part of me was about using up pieces and part of me wanted to just buy more.

In my initial purchase of the fat eighths there were a couple of very low contrast white on whites. I know... WoW is supposed to be low contrast anyway but in the bad lighting downstairs I couldn't even and tell which side was up, I did use the more obvious ones. I'll bring the pieces up and mark the strips with safety pins on which side is up -- they will be fine for the neutral inner border. It will use up the pieces and make the WoW in the quilt look less like holes among the busy neutrals. Still making decisions about the dark border -- think I will be using a single dark I pulled but ended up not using.

Usually I slow down quite a bit after the reveal, with my goal of getting the top put together by Valentine's Day -- quilting remains open. I still haven't quilted Rhododendron Trail and I'm still hoping/planing on getting a long arm.

This thread, support, and pictures stay open. Even after next year's mystery begins! Me, I'm hoping to see a bunch of finishes by 4th of July if not before.

One more reminder that the mystery clues are usually taken down by Valentine's Day or so -- but the paid non-mystery directions will be available at that point.

Old 01-06-2024, 06:17 AM

Uggg!

I grouped all my blocks into sets yesterday and found that I had enough of the corners for all but the four point sections. So when I made the 8 missing blocks, I only made half blocks. Didn't see a lot of reason to sew up something that was going to be cut off and tossed. I hate that method of sewing and avoid it if I know it's what is going to happen at the start.

Then I started sewing the setting triangles, had them in four sets of five. After getting the first set of 5 done, I went to trim them. I've done enough on point layouts to know that it's way easier for me to do this before sewing them into the top than after. It was trimming them that I realized there is this waste triangle chuck of fabric that ends up only being in the seam allowance. I've done a lot of crazy quilts and I hate when that happens, and will rip and resew to remove it.

It was a lot more work doing this for the five I'd already assembled, but it bothers me enough I did it. Then I sorted out pairs from all the other setting triangles, cut them on the diagonal and removed that extra bit from the seam allowance and sewed them back up.

I keep wondering if Bonnie says to wait to trim until the top is assembled, as if you do that, removing these waste bits would be so much more work, and even though they drive me nuts, I'd have probably left them. Since there is a solid border sewn to that edge, they will all be pressed out so they won't end up folded back on themselves.

BTW - I have 4 extra red triangle blocks, and 9 extra square in a square blocks. Not sure if I miscounted, or if these are deliberate extras. Right now I don't care enough to go back and figure it out! They'll go in my "orphan block" tote for a future top.

I'll get this top assembled, and another (also on point) that I've got the blocks done for and need to decide placement. After that I've got to switch to quilting as my pile of floppies is getting tall again. I think I'll be up to 7. I find I like to bulk quilt, and do mostly robotics so can get a quilt done in a day without much problem (love finally being retired!). I've got a second roll of batting on hand so won't run out of that.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-06-2024 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the Ugg warning, MacyBaby.

I don't mind the rough edge/trim off way of diagonally setting triangles for square pieced blocks so much, but I don't like when I have that little block under the seam. I usually like to trim when I put the rows together, that is when it is two rows at a time, I use the finished points to help mark my cutting line. The big thing for me when trimming them before putting them in the quilt is to resist the temptation to cut across the diagonal -- remember that seam allowance.

There is another correction posted, this time for Clue 5. Yesterday when I was putting together my parts into block sets, I wondered on why I had extras...

So for those still making sub-units/parts, make sure you have the info for Part 3 (need more parts) and Part 5 (need less parts)! Here's a fresh link to the front page where she lists the changes.
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/in...y-mystery.html
Old 01-06-2024, 08:38 AM

Planning to change to twin size. So will need to do some math.