Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-06-2024, 09:54 AM

Teen, that's looking marvelous!

I've finished the sets of 6 for clue 3! Now on to the sets of 4.

I'm not sure how large I will eventually make my top -- by then I will have seen plenty of different sizes on the Quiltville page.

One advantage of bringing up the rear, you get to make modifications. I will be using stronger reds in the center of block A, and I may yet change my focus fabric based on the reveal.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:51 AM

double uggg!

I thought I had extra of the red/neutral triangle pieces, but it turns out I did not. I had missed some when laying out my sets. Guess I got so careful about the corner pieces that I messed up the others. And because I thought I had extras, I used more of an assortment for the corners and no longer had matching pieces. So I had to make three more to match the set I was short.

Oh well, that's why I don't put away fabric until after everything is assembled. I've got 5 more blocks to sew up, then I can start putting together the top. I've been using my border pieces as leader/enders and have two rows sewn together and working on the third.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:47 PM

My quilt is assembled and trimmed…..I’m working on the borders now. I may have it completed tomorrow, which would be way cool cuz I’d like to get this and another completion to my quilt lady this week.
Old 01-07-2024, 04:26 AM

Another easy day yesterday, watched the periodic snowfall mostly.

I did make the missing pieces, both the ones Bonnie missed in Part 3, and the few from Clue 8, page 7 of the PDF. I sorted together my block sets for the setting units but haven't started sewing either the blocks or the setting units. I didn't use a focus fabric and went random with my darks so did the same for the setting units -- that is, I didn't make any identical blocks but mixed and matched the pieces. For the full blocks that I had already put in sets, I went through my extra pieces for a greater assortment now that I knew they weren't going to be used in another step.

Boy I got myself confused! Had the table covered with bits and pieces would drop off to the floor and such... but I'm sure they will go together quickly now that they are sorted out.

Had some problems with my machine, Cranky Bernie. What should have been an easy 5 minutes of sewing wasn't. I recognized the symptoms of a faulty upper thread sensor again -- have already replaced it twice and then a third time when the recent fix broke into pieces... this time I know enough to just shut off the sensor and so can keep going. Cranky Bernie and I are about to part ways -- it's a great machine when it works but the "when" gets to me...

Hope I am able to sew the assembled blocks and setting units today.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:53 AM

I'm glad everyone is getting so close to the finish line. I decided to put my mystery project to the side for awhile. My room was a mess and it was really bothering me. AND I really need to get back to sewing for charity.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:41 AM

I've finished clue 4! I'm now going back to finish sewing clue 2 as I continue with the paper piecing of clue 3.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:08 AM

Here is my completed top. I machine bind my quilts, and knew I'd be loosing points that way, so added a narrow lt blue border around the outside.

I didn't want to deal with sewing all the borders on to the quilt individually, so I sewed them all together first. It takes a bit to figure out the corners, but felt that was easier then wrestling the quilt around the machine and ironing board after each border.

This also makes me appreciate my LA - having a 12' long table for pinning on the border. I pinned and sewed one side at a time. Seems if I try to pin more, I end up knocking half the pins out before I get to the other side, or I'm constantly getting poked by pins.

I'm going with the red for the binding, DH and DD like it better (so do I). DD said this would be very popular colors for her area - GA.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20240107_100559.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	646969   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240107_100611.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	646970   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240107_103131.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	646971   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240107_103241.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	646972  
Old 01-07-2024, 09:53 AM

Macy, congratulations on that finish and it looks fantastic!
Old 01-07-2024, 10:10 AM

Teen & Macy - looking great! A little jealous but mostly envy. You put the work in and deserve all the accolades
Old 01-07-2024, 11:57 AM

I agree with Rff - great work Teen and Macy! I finished all of Block A last night, so can work on Block B today. I am still using Clue 6 as my leader ender too.