Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 01-06-2024, 05:59 AM

I remember those days TG. It worked for you and I just know that it would work for Macybaby. So,,,,just say yes! I know pressure, pressure, pressure. In the end, do what is best for you. You can always lurk and join us next year.

I started my first quilt for 2024, just a checkerboard of white and color. Each block uses 36 - 2.5s and is one color way. I just need to clean out the 2.5 collection to some extent and this should make a dent.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:57 AM

Well my swapping friends, I think this must be the year of the Irish Chain block. Here is another variation from Lori Holt. The two different blocks make an interesting and eye appealing quilt that uses 2.5's. The alternating block of smaller squares are made from 1.5" squares with background borders. The video has lots of chatting about her method of keeping scraps and the second half of the video is how she keeps her quilt journal. You can easily take a peek at the blocks and skip the rest if you so desire.

Checkerboard Chain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdCvNn2qXmY
Old 01-07-2024, 09:21 AM

LOL about the Irish chain, here is the top I just finished using the pattern Heather posted above (grandma's lattice). This is the second one (first is not assembled yet) as after I got the blocks for the first sewn, I wanted to try something different and not have solid centers. I used jelly rolls for the colors, and assorted whites for this one, but it's all 2.5" squares. I'm thinking of doing one totally scrappy to use up candies.

This worked out as I had two identical jelly rolls, and there weren't a lot of different fabrics, so each had 4 wof of most. With 8 wof, I could use them for borders. I pulled another ten blenders from another jelly roll to fill in so I'd have enough. I'm pretty sure this also took about 500 white squares. I pulled 14 different whites out of my stash and cut WOF until I had enough.

I sure don't like working with unwashed fabric, and will be very happy when I've used up all those jelly rolls. Won't buy more, would rather by yardage and cut my own.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20240105_155410.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	646973  
Old 01-07-2024, 11:23 AM

Wow Macybaby, that is a neat twist on that pattern. I was going to do another gramma's lattice with hand applique epp flowers in the big white sections. Now seeing your variation has me interested in what else could be done with those plane areas. The last one that I did make was a black and grey version. The big blocks that were formed by the large 9 patches, were black grunge that matched the basic grey boudoir line of fabrics. In that quilt the black grunge had enough coloration that it looked completely different from a plain fabric.
Old 01-07-2024, 04:13 PM

Yes, indeed it is the year of the Irish Chain! Time to pick one out and get going.... after I finish my checkerboard rainbow. Tonight is orange night.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:39 AM

Well, my swappers, we have an additional swap mate, Macybaby is coming back! Whoop, whoop! We are now at 18.

New folks, with 18 on this list, I would suggest cutting 20 sets of 50. This will give you a spare in case an envelope gets lost in the transit.

Reminder: I will PM February Birthday Swap information on the 20th of each month.
FYI - The cost of mailing will be increasing on January 21st. You may want to pick up "forever" stamps before the rate increase. I use one forever and one extra ounce stamp. Don't let any one tell your birthday package will cost $5. That is package rate and not letter rate.

Here is our list as of today, January 8.
Happy cutting and packaging everyone. A good project to accomplish during THE football game tonight.

1.Gaijin
2.Patrick's Mom
3.Crispy_Frog
4.Have4boys
5.Quossum
6.Travelinggrammma
7.WMUTeach
8.JENNR8R
9.happylab
10.Rebaquilts
11.Logcbin 82
12.Brenda W
13. SusieQOH
14.ibex94
15.Kele
16.Heathermom2opmc
17. terriamn
18. Macybaby
Old 01-08-2024, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I have also been on the fence.... Really don't need to collect more candies but I hate to miss out on the fun of sending the birthday packages. And I have so much nice scrap fabric I could cut.

Ok, I'm in! Wouldn't some other fence sitter like to join me, so we can have the nice round number of 20?
Old 01-08-2024, 04:11 PM

Ha-ha-ha and a Tee-hee-hee, SBG! Fence sitters fall off the fence and join us for 2024, the grass is green and full of tiny little flowers that smell so sweet. SBG, I will add you to the list, I see your PM has arrived. Glad to have you back for another year. Time to start sewing with those 2.5s everyone We are now at 19! Yeah!

Old 01-09-2024, 01:25 PM

We have had a flurry of action with this group in the past 24 hours. I added sewbizgirl to our list but Kele needed to withdraw from this year's birthday swap. One new potential swapper inquired about the swap this morning. We are still at 18 as of this afternoon, January, 9.

1.Gaijin
2.Patrick's Mom
3.Crispy_Frog
4.Have4boys
5.Quossum
6.Travelinggrammma
7.WMUTeach
8.JENNR8R
9.happylab
10.Rebaquilts
11.Logcbin 82
12.Brenda W