Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-07-2024, 12:29 PM

another uggg!!! I got my blocks lined up wrong. Well, at least I saw that before it got quilted. Now to either fix them all, or swap the few that are going the other way so they are all going one direction. I really like how it's suppose to make a criss cross pattern with the diagonal red, so I probably rip half them out and rotate them. It won't be the biggest rip project I've ever done by far.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:15 PM

Oh ouch ouch and triple ugg for Macy! To replace or not replace, that is the question!

There are times when tiny stitches aren't so great... whatever you decide to do will be fine and most people will never notice. I didn't see it until you pointed it out.

Another slow non-sewing day for me, but go go Detroit Lions! Hubby is happy.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:49 PM

Here is mine…. This is a 4x4 version and is roughly 63” sq. If you are interested n knowing, you only need 72 units for border for this layout. I used some patriotic fabrics for borders Her quilts are always a thready mess so I’ll be cleaning sewing room tonight after dinner…I hope to get this prepped this week with backing/batting for quilter. That’s my goal, anyway…. I’ll be watching for all of your finishes!!!

Note: I recommend you “stay stitch” the border BEFORE you sew to quilt. I learned that trick last year’s mystery. So much easier..at least for me..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1330.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	647.5 KB
ID:	646975  

Last edited by Teen; 01-07-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:31 PM

Macybaby, your fabrics are so striking in this design. Either way, you will have a great-looking quilt.

Teen, that's so perfect as a QOV! I don't know if it's because of the size, but it's the first time I've noticed the secondary octagon design in any of the finished tops I've observed. I love how the stars on the focal fabric stand out!
Old 01-07-2024, 03:51 PM

Love seeing the finished masterpieces! I am plugging along with mine.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:06 PM

Teen, that looks fantastic. And Macy I feel your pain. I still don't have all the clues done but that's not a problem. I did manage to put together at least 2 block As. This will take me a while to finish.

Name:	IMG_1083.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	646977  
Old 01-07-2024, 07:01 PM

All looks great! I am glad I sat this one out as I am still trying to finish Rhoady Trail and Chilhowie...
Kirsten
Old 01-08-2024, 05:54 AM

All better! Only 4 hours of ripping and resewing (17 blocks), so it was worth the effort. I like this so, so much better! It does not bother me to rip out. I worked in an alterations shop right out of highschool, and ripping is almost always the starting point for that, so I got real used to it and learned some methods that make it a lot simpler, though using a sharp knife does not work on quilting fabric (great for denim though).

This quilt ended up 87x87 with the last extra border. the edge near the wall is folded over in the picture.

Name:	20240108_074147.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	646985  
Old 01-08-2024, 06:14 AM

Awesome (and fast!!) redo work, Macybaby -- not surprisingly, the design is better when done as designed. I think going all one diagonal with the A group also works, but you had a couple that didn't do that either. Anyway -- a round of applause for you!

I woke up early and started pinning and sewing on the setting unit blocks. Hubby just got up so going to spend a little time with him before going back downstairs and finishing them up/making the B set of full blocks.

We are under winter storm watch advisory and expect some more snow today (late) and tomorrow -- not sure if that will interfere with sewing group tomorrow or not. Shouldn't be too bad here but you just never know. Will be going out for some groceries and lottery tickets this morning, but have enough coffee to last a couple weeks!
Old 01-08-2024, 08:56 AM

Beautiful, Macybaby! Your fold was helpful, as it showed another size option. I really like it as a rectangle, may go that way myself.