Fabric Moratorium 2024

Old 01-09-2024, 06:52 AM

Yesterday I had some time, so I made myself a set of microwave bowl cozies out of stash fabric (some of it was recently-acquired stash fabric, but still). When I had them all cut out I realized that I had enough of the special all- cotton batting left that I could make two more if I made Franken-batting, so I made two more for my husband’s grandmother out of fabric that is to her taste but not mine (so yay! A little bit of that fabric out of my stash!). I estimate that I used up something like 2/3 of a yard of fabric. I’m having a hard time picking my next stash project, though. Too many options.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:29 PM

Rff1010: Have you found your 1/4” foot yet?

woodland creature: You got a good deal on your batting.

Butterflyblue: Great use of your stash.

I like the idea of using batting scraps as a cushion for breakables.

I stopped at church to drop off a roll of batting. Since I had time, I trimmed and turned a quilt, sorted through a donation, organized the quilt tops by main color, and sorted through a tub of fabric. Of course, fabric followed me home-a large, stuffed tote bag full! However, most of it will be given to another organization for diaper bags but some will end in my stash. 😢. I keep track of purchased fabric and fabric out but I don’t record fabric brought home from donations.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:35 PM

Wow - so much willpower and strength to start out the year - thanks for the inspiration, all!

I'm still holding strong to my seat on the wagon but am also not able to get into the sewing room right now so the stash is staying at current levels for now. Soon, I hope! :-)
Old 01-10-2024, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Rff1010: Have you found your 1/4” foot yet?
Nah, still no idea where it is. Broke down and put in an Amazon order with a bunch of other stuff.

Current challenge (and grouchy) is I have 3 quilts that need binding. My main machine is at the spa because the dual feed food (walking foot - built in) wasn't working. My backup/travel machine isnt powerful enough. I was getting nesting and bad tension. Part is backordered so who knows when main machine will come back??

So I pulled out a UFO, changed my mind about the backing, made some frankenbatting. And loaded up the longarm. It's a little project 30x41 but I'm much happier with the backing now. Used stash for everything!

​​​​​ Weirdly looking forward to the scraps from the backing. I cut a lot of scraps into 2.5 strips and that location is getting pretty full. Thinking about a JellyRoll Jam quilt.

So even tho I'm adding to the "need to be bound" pile I'm making progress with my UFOs. Using stash. Being productive . And the plan is to do more work on Bonnie Hunter project and move that forward once my new foot arrives.

Stay out of the bars and off the streets my friends.
(Thanks for listening to my rambling)
Old 01-10-2024, 04:58 AM

This sounds like a challenge, I'll try to not to acquire any more fabric this year. Lucky me for joining today and not yesterday because some fabric jumped into my arms and went home with me. Just three pieces for a QOV.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:46 AM

You guys are so entertaining! Love your stories!
Got room for one more? I don't consider my stash huge, but I am running out of storage space. Plus a pile of washed new fabric that needs to be folded and put on magazine boards. My fabrics are pretty, but my quilt designing abilities have improved beyond simple strips. Plus, I can't keep up with ideas that I want to try. Since I'm working on about 5 quilts/designs at the moment, I can't imagine needing (ha ha...needing) more fabric.
I am loving adding to stencil stash, though, to use with new sit down long arm. I'd rather purchase what I want, but I've made 2 by myself. I have about 7, and am now wondering how to store these!
Old 01-10-2024, 10:51 AM

Aashley333, here is where I have mine stored on the end of a dresser. My old kilt pin fits the holes perfectly, and the S hook helps keep it flat against the dresser. I used to have them on a huge ring, but it was too awkward in my room.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	647011  
Old 01-10-2024, 02:35 PM

aashley, I use a pants hanger to store my stencils and they hang in my closet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7259.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	647013  
Old 01-10-2024, 06:19 PM

Oh, goodness two ingenious ways to store stencils. Mine are in one of those under the bed bins. It works fine, but I like your ideas better.

I use the pants/skirt hangers for hanging UFO's: flimsy, batting and backing all in one place. Sometimes I will cut the binding too and just loop it around the hanger hook. So nice to have everything ready to go when the mood hits to finish a UFO.

Still no purchases for 2024! But it is only the 10th Tee-Hee-Hee!
Old 01-10-2024, 07:13 PM

What a great conversation - having an effective way to store fabric, notions and accessories can make stash busting easier. I put my UFOs together with backing/binding as well, but have them in totes. Easy to forget to finish them when you can't see them! All of my fabric is also stashed away in boxes, so any time I want to go through stash, I make a mess. I love the What Are We Organizing Today thread for general ideas like this, but does anyone else have great tips that help you to know what's in your stash and to use it up?