Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders >

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

Old 01-07-2024, 04:01 AM

Default Improv Journey Links

I said I would put together some fun links for you all…here they are in no particular order!

Right off the top, when I took up quilting, I definitely planned to make ONLY traditional quilts. They are beautiful, and I loved their romance and nostalgia appeal. My quilt 101/102 teacher was a stickler for accuracy, and I am glad she was. Accuracy skills put you in control of the fabrics, and even if you are working improv, that control is critical.

Anyway, I was happily working my way through traditional quilt blocks and kits, relying on my quilt store staff (some online) to choose the fabrics for me as I had absolutely no colour handling skills and of course working traditionally from patterns I did not have design skills either….I am the kid the art teacher gave up on (because I could not draw).

One weekend about 13 years ago, my husband and I booked a romantic weekend away from our houseful of children in Monterey, California. While there I visited Back Porch fabrics in Pacific Grove. The shop (the best I had ever been in) was hosting a Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston exhibition. One quilt up on the wall absolutely astounded me (Freddy’s Red Sticks). The label said it was on page 93 of their book, which was sitting below the quilt. I was annoyed that, upon turning to p. 93, the quilt was nowhere to be seen, nor anywhere in the index….and I realized they had written TWO books together! So I bought them both, and stayed up late looking at all the amazing quilts in those books.

It was my Damascene moment. There was something in all that wild colour and design exuberance that called to me. Freddy was 80 at the time, and I figured would not be teaching much longer, so I booked the next class available, which was a week at Empty Spools. That class changed my life and my quilting life. I realized I could, if I worked at it, build colour and design skills.

So my first two recommendations for stepping off the curb and into the whirl of improv are those two books that got me started: “Collaborative Quilting” and “Freddy and Gwen Collaborate Again” by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston. ***I cannot stress enough how making a few of the quilts in these books will push up your improv, colour and design skills.” ***

Great 7 part blog series on beginning to work improv, by LuAnn Kessi:
https://luannkessi.blogspot.com/2020...chnique-1.html

My Pinterest board on Improv Techniques:
https://www.pinterest.ca/westernwils...ov-techniques/

There is a terrific workshop by Krista Hennebury called “Speed Date with Improv”. Check out the Instagram posts on these quilts. It is a great, easy to do class that really launches your improv skill set.

I have taken several classes from Maria Shell, and I think in July she will run one of her $30 four hour zoom workshops, always a good look at an improv technique. She introduced me to the 60mm rotary cutter, which I love! https://www.amazon.com/Olfa-Deluxe-R...st_sto_dp&th=1

I hated Kaffe Fassett prints when I started…now I can’t get enough of them!! Someone who does a lovely job with KFC print is Agile Jack, who blogs out of Oregon:
https://agilejack1.com/
And I am in the middle of making the KFC “Autumn Postcard” quilt.

A great book to get you started on improv by Sherri Lynn Wood:
Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters

There are tons of videos to watch on YouTube, and one of my faves is “The Last Homely House”. Kate put out an Advent series this last holiday season on a wonderful improv Christmas quilt. Well worth a watch for $1 on her Patreon page:
https://www.patreon.com/collection/225451?view=expanded
Old 01-07-2024, 04:45 AM

PS!!!

Rayna Gillman's book is well worth reading:
https://www.amazon.com/Create-Your-O...aufs_ap_sc_dsk

I also found the books by Jean Wells a total inspiration, enough that I also took a class from her. She was an amazing teacher, and she has several interesting videos up on YouTube.

https://www.amazon.com/Intuitive-Col...aufs_ap_sc_dsk

https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Inspi...07055805&psc=1

I also really enjoyed the wonderful book by Nicholas Ball!
https://www.amazon.com/Inspiring-Imp...40655374&psc=1

I have also learned a TON from copying old quilts (I love copying antique baby quilts) and wow...copying the Gees Bend quilts. Everyone should try to replicate a few of those!

Last edited by WesternWilson; 01-07-2024 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:45 AM

Wow!
Thank you WW!
That's my whole week taken care of right here!
I am a huge fan of Kate and her lime green couch, and completely agree about her advent series this last December.
And also of the Gees Bend quilts.
Years ago, I was a member of the Modern Quilt Guild...lots of improve lessons, inspirations and fun there. But I haven't been back in some time. May have to revisit that, too.

I took a peek at your pinterest board, and I am very impressed. I will be starting there today!
Thanks again!

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 01-07-2024 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:54 PM

Hope everyone's New Year is off to a great start.
I was thinking about this adventure we're on and decided to go back and look at the orientation video again to make sure my mind is still going in the right direction. It was enlightening as I heard things, this time that I didn't hear or didn't fully understand by only watching once.
To my surprise, I am following the intent of the process better than I thought. I was thinking I was perhaps too aggressive and making inappropriate changes/additions to the 2 pieces I've worked on so far. I'm more comfortable now after watching the video again. The biggest help for me was seeing Ricky's piece using this process - he showed it's beginning block and what the final finished piece - nothing in between...a really beautiful transformation.
Just thought if you are struggling with this Mad Adder process, like me, you might want to review that video now that you have some experience. I just keep telling myself this is not a traditional round robin and it's okay not to follow those traditional "rules" because there are no rules for a Mad Adder.
Happy Quilting - slicing, dicing and being non-traditional
Joyce
Old 01-11-2024, 12:14 PM

Thanks Joyce. I might go back and watch that too.

I've never done a round robin so am ignorant of any of those rules.

Boy....it's kinda like crickets in here...aint it?
Old 01-14-2024, 07:22 AM

That's cause a bunch of us are still dealing with our triangles.... I still have not finished my add ons. I keep changing my mind and then the block just doesn't look right. Joyce, I'm sorry I'm so late.

Janet, thank you for the links. If and when I get done with my triangles, I will get to watch them. I didn't expect this project to add stress to my life. If I was doing this just for me, I probably wouldn't be as crazy. As it is, I have a few tidbit pieces in my triangle phase due to oppsies. Maybe that will help you, Joyce?!

I head to New Orleans today. Nasty weather with icy roads predicted for tomorrow and I have appointments in New Orleans on Tuesday -- internet to be installed!! Once I am down there, I can knock out the flimsy, again. I have told myself that every day since before Christmas.

I'll be touching base via email. I hope everyone is happy and healthy. I am stressing enough for all of us so no stress!
Old 01-14-2024, 02:33 PM

I am 90% done with my triangles, but then came down with Covid last week, and now the weather has literally brought everything to a screeching halt.
It actually brings me comfort to know that we ALL seem to be somehow working and mailing at the same pace. 😆
Old 01-18-2024, 03:46 PM

Okay flingers... I just sent off my package to Ibex yesterday. This is the one she was supposed to have on Jan 3rd. Please don't be mad at her, it's my fault. I sent it to her priority, but we haven't had mail service for a week, so who knows how long it will take.
I also discovered that I left something out of the package - the bag that Sheila put all her fabric in. It's not integral to the top itself, so I'm thinking maybe I should just leapfrog Ibex and send it to Joyce? What do you guys think?
Old 01-19-2024, 03:24 PM

You do what you think best, Peckish. If you think that Ibex can punt without that fabric, then I say why not leap frog?
Has anyone heard from Yiaya or Shawnee? Hope everything is good in their turtle shells......
Old 01-19-2024, 04:14 PM

It's not fabric, it's a shopping bag. Ibex won't need it to do her part.

I heard from Shawnee on Sunday, she's in the same icy, slick mess I'm in. She was going to put her flimsy in the mail to me. Today's the first day we've had mail service in a week, so it might be a few more days.