Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Those foods that you hated as a kid... >

Those foods that you hated as a kid...

Those foods that you hated as a kid...

Old 12-18-2023, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

That was my one sit at the table long after everyone else was gone. I just never did that to my kids?

We were allowed to get what we wanted that was cooked for a meal but we had to eat all we got. If we didn't know about a food we had a taste before putting it on our plate. I never understood having food battles with children especially a child not yours. My aunt tried the not get up until the food was gone when she kept my brother and me for a few days and she put the food on our plates. My brother vomited all over the table when forced to eat beets. That ended that jerk move. We never liked her since and even when we got older we kept our distance.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I've never like milk- UGH. Of course my Mom made me drink it until I left for college! To this day I don't like it.
Other than that I like most foods- but not pork or any kind of sausage. Oh and cooked carrots! I love raw carrots though.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:45 PM

I didn’t eat homemade soup but I picked out the meat/vegetables and ate that. I love all soup now (except ox tail)
Mother helped outside on the farm a lot so she made coffee cake instead of cookies because it was quicker. I longed for cookies and never cared for coffee cake that much. Still prefer cookies and pass on coffee cake.
One of my favorites then and still is - liver and onions.
My parents loved rhubarb but I didn’t. I like it now.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:37 PM

I’ll have to think.
vague memories of sitting at table. Mostly my picky eater sister. I think mom figured it just wasn’t worth the battle. Someone told me, “you get to win only so many battles, so pick the right ones.” Dessert was an option only at celebrations so bribing wasn’t happening.

hubby’s mom was spoiled about sugar and butter and taught him well. When first married he’d save room for dessert. Didn’t work. He’s still picky.

my odd ball dislikes were favorite childhood foods; bananas and peanut butter. Still don’t like bananas. Peanut butter is easy and fast to fix, so it’s ok.

Oh, Mac n cheese. Never have liked it. Now I’m allergic to most cheese

Fav foods have always had vinegar and salt. Add grease and I’m in heaven. Can easily eat big bag chips at one sitting. They aren’t kept in the house. If I’m having a craving and need gas in the car, I’ll stop for gas and get md bag of chips, vinegar and salt. Gone before 1 mile. Restrict this to 4+ months.

I’ve always loved beans, especially 3-bean salad and limas are great.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:15 AM

"...sit at the table until your plate is clean..." I remember that we had peas one night when I was a little kid and I secretly took each one and hid them under the rim of my plate. As I got up to leave the table, my sister picked up my plate and there were the peas, all in a neat little circle. I got in a lot of trouble for that.

Other things that I hate and still won't eat: beets (tase like dirt to me,) lima beans, velveeta.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:55 AM

I can't handle anything that has lumps in it. Chunks are OK - they are supposed to be there, but lumps, such as in cooked cereal, don't belong there. Mashed potatoes is another thing that shouldn't have lumps - so I never eat them. I know it's just me, but I don't want lumps in my food.
Old 12-24-2023, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
I can't handle anything that has lumps in it. Chunks are OK - they are supposed to be there, but lumps, such as in cooked cereal, don't belong there. Mashed potatoes is another thing that shouldn't have lumps - so I never eat them. I know it's just me, but I don't want lumps in my food.
I'm making mashed potatoes for tomorrow's dinner. I like them just a little lumpy, but mostly smooth. I did some research and found out how to make them mostly ahead of time...great timesaver. Ya cook the potatoes, mash them, then put them in an airtight ziploc bag until the next day. The next day, heat up the cream and butter in a pot, then add the mashed potatoes and blend lightly. Ad S&P and serve ASAP

Last edited by tropit; 12-24-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:20 PM

Hot dogs. Now, I love them.
I hated liver, and still hate it!
Old 01-13-2024, 05:46 AM

Blue Fish
Stewed tomatoes
Lamb
green been casserole
Liver
Powered milk...they use to do half reg milk with watered down power milk to save money...gross

We had to sit at the table until everything on the plate was finished. If you did not finish your meal it would be there in the morning for breakfast.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:48 AM

I grew up living with my Dad. His rule was try one bite of a new food, if you don't like it then you don't have to eat it. There wasn't too much he didn't like. Dad didn't like eggplant, beef kidneys, head cheese (gross made from pig parts...lol My mom loved it).

My dislikes are: Eggplant, liverwurst, pimento cheese, cole slaw (husband says the slaw I make is delicious, so he is the taster), spaghetti squash, oysters.