Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are We Organizing Today 2024 >

What are We Organizing Today 2024

What are We Organizing Today 2024

Old 01-08-2024, 12:03 PM

I got through the knitting, crocheting and weaving tools! It wasn't easy. I had planned to keep only one set of double points for sock knitting, but I ended up keeping a variety of regular knitting needles, all my double points and my Nitpicks interchangeable circular needle set. All this fits into one Bag Smith project bag! I also kept two plastic bags of sock yarns and a small basket of assorted odds and ends yarns to use for couching and/or felting. Meanwhile, The stuff I've set aside to be sold/donated includes the following:
a complete set of bamboo needles, a complete set of bamboo double points and a set of bamboo circular needles as well as a ton of odds and ends (row counters, cable holders, three different cases for holding lots of knitting needles, etc.), one Bag Smith project bag, on knitting caddy, one woven palm leaf knitting project bag, a small rigid heddle loom and assorted weaving tools all in addition to the yarns that I destashed last week.

I think that's a good 60-70 pounds of stuff (maybe more). It takes up about 50 times as much space as what I kept ( yes, that's 50, not a typo). Clearly I had way more stuff than I needed or could use in my lifetime.

Taking a break today. Tomorrow I want to start pulling a few "how-to" books that pertain to hobbies I am downsizing. I'll try to find 5 to start with and work up to letting go of more LOL. Though it may not seem possible to folks who know me, I actually have a harder time destashing books than tools. I'm also going to start finding things do not belong or that are trash in my other studio space so that I can start going through the junk journaling stuff.

Rob
Old 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM

Well I did it. I straightened up my stash closet today. It is amazing what you can do when a quilting friend who is extremely neat and tidy plans to stop over. Put all of the detritus and odds and end of small fabric cuts into their correct color boxes, labeled the boxes so I don't have to search all of the boxes when all I want is... green. I found a UFO that will be moving out of my house as is and two grocery totes full of "ugly" fabric that I know I will never in my life time put into a quilt. It all looks so lovely. I don't want to touch it but... I did. I pulled fabric for another swap and made progress on another scrappy quilt. AND, I finished the top of a small wall piece for my bathroom.

Time to find supper and settle down to watch some football and cut and sort 2.5" squares for the birthday swap. Wink, Wink, Wink!
Old 01-08-2024, 04:24 PM

Wow Rob, that's amazing.
Must feel good to have so much extra space.

Several years ago, (alright...almost a decade now) I tried downsizing.
Got rid of my loom, tons of weaving, knitting, crocheting, and embroidery stuff. Yarn, needles, counters etc.
The extra room was nice.
Didn't miss any of it.
For a while
Then, in about early 2020, I started knitting again. Had to buy everything all over again. Also started doing hand embroidery and slow stitching again. So, of course, I needed some embroidery thread.
I've made lots of amigurumi and hats, slippers, sweaters etc. since then.

Early on, I just wanted to crochet a quick scrubbie. That's all. But then this is what happened to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=309zO-szgJQ
So cute, easy and fun to make.
Now, I have to start all over with the downsizing.
Ugh
Old 01-11-2024, 08:38 AM

Hey all,
Yesterday I found 5 books and some misc. craft supplies to add to my studio sale pile. I also got a small start on my other studio space- took some things out of there that don't belong. I think for today I'll concentrate on getting organized for a workshop I'm taking on Saturday and also precutting some fabrics for a workshop I'm taking in Feb. at MAQF. That should keep me busy LOL.

Who's doing what today?

Rob
Old 01-11-2024, 06:21 PM

No specific organizing today. Making 6X6 grid checkerboard blocks and putting all rejected 2.5's back into their labeled boxes to help maintain the organization that I have in place to date. It is so easy to just tell myself, "I'll do that latter" then months pass and I have a mess of 2.5's scattered in different places waiting to be returned to their color boxes.

I did make a trip to Goodwill yesterday with some post organization materials from my sewing room, "ugly" fabric and other household items needed to go to another home. More went into the car today for a post snow storm drop off.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:05 AM

I finished removing everything that was not sewing related out of my room. I have tons of hobbies, but at this time focusing on sewing. I found other spots in the house to store my other hobbies. I put my yarn project under my couch, since that is where I loom knit. Nice to be able to tuck it away when not in use. I stored my cutting mats and design boards under the love seat that is in the living room.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
While shuffling about the "stuff" on my sewing table last evening, I started looking at all of the patterns that I had printed. Dumped many because I had saved them to my computer..
I got my first computer and printer about 30 years ago... Oh my gosh, we printed Everytthing out, not realizing it would always be around on some site or another. One of the things I sold when I first started ebay was eight and a half Pounds of paper piecing patterns. a good two reams of paper.

This week, on the same subject...I'm going to clean out my quilting bookmarks. Lots of PDFs saved, the list is Way too long
Dont forget virtual clean outs can be very freeing and uplifting to the spirit too.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=KalamaQuilts;8631897}

This week, on the same subject...I'm going to clean out my quilting bookmarks. Lots of PDFs saved, the list is Way too long
Dont forget virtual clean outs can be very freeing and uplifting to the spirit too.[/QUOTE]

I did the same to old email and my saved quilt patterns and like you, bookmarked patterns.....and other stuff that I bookmarked that I was sure I needed for the future! The future has come and gone and the bookmarked sites are still sitting there unused. Now many of them are gone! Ahhh, digital freedom.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:58 AM

I save quilt patterns from magazines in 3 ring binders. I went through them (8) and reclassified them. Tossed some and earmarked some I actually want to make. Maybe I can find what I want easier now ? Haha.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:16 PM

Today was clean the floor, machine and tables day...inside and out.