Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things that annoy me about sewing >

Things that annoy me about sewing

Things that annoy me about sewing

Old 01-14-2024, 05:16 AM

been trying to think of something since I saw this thread yesterday Nope, my quilt room is my happy place, nothing bothers me there at all. That would probably change if I had a phone/tv/computer in there. Nope, safe zone.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:20 AM

Machines do not have endless bobbins.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:09 AM

I just started sewing clothes and I must say it was so confusing with all the sizes, but so glad they do have them as I find sizing is confusing and I will make one and its to small...give that away and make another one. I do trace all of the pattern sizes that I will be using to tracing paper. I need to figure a good way to store them. I have them on my wall for now. I agree with you on cost of fabric. Not bad if you hit the end of the year sales. No wonder we all have large stashes of fabric. The cost of notions is also out of control. Glad I have everything I need and bought them when prices were half of what they are now.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I have also had the perfect eight out of nine fabrics for a project. And then can't find the ninth one even after shopping several quilt shops.

Also that the colors available change over the years.

Being only a tiny bit short of fabric for a project - and realizing it towards the end of a project. this has forced me to become " creative " or to accept that some blocks will just have an extra seam or two where I pieced scraps together.

I can aIso relate to the bobbin running out of thread and not noticing it - usually after I have removed the pins.

I Hace earned that if there is a fabric that I am really really in love with - to get "more than enough" and be willing to pay full price when i see it. Matching that fat quarter is nearly impossible.

Realizing that it would have been better to fix a mistake when I first noticed it listed of thinking it would not matter.

Poorly written instructions - especially with cutting errors!

Not such a problem for me now, but this could be such a turn off for a newbie.

I really think border lengths should not be cut until one is ready for them.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:53 AM

For me, it is trying to figure out what way to press when the pattern provides no clues. That is why I love doing Bonnie's patterns.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DRQuilt View Post
Machines do not have endless bobbins.
Oh, thank you for stating the obvious, just in case any of us didn't know this.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:04 PM

Wow. Things that annoy me about sewing ..... machines don't have endless bobbins.

Sorry to offend, sewbizgirl. That happens to be the thing that annoys me about sewing.
Old 01-14-2024, 02:21 PM

Lol *I* got it, DRQuilt.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:18 PM

LOL, and I really don't mind winding bobbins....it is a little break and I usually wind at least two and then I look at them and feel satisfied that at least have accomplished something!
Old 01-15-2024, 06:18 PM

Not having space. My apartment is *tiny*. I can't keep my drop-leaf table set up - which doubles as my sewing machine table, pressing table, etc - because it takes up most of my living room and obstructs my bookshelves. I also can't baste a bed sized quilt so I have to do QAYG.

I don't understand, logistically, how pioneer women basted huge quilts.