Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs >

Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs

Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs

Old 01-17-2024, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
The correct link is Mom's quilt finished
Thank you. I didn’t realize I had mucked it up.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:17 PM

I have this book, just because of the cover photo. I remember when this line of fabrics in mint green and lilac came out, we made a quilt with them for a store. Once in a while I find a piece in my scraps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1989.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	647150  
Old 01-17-2024, 04:03 PM

I started quilting in the late 70's and the only places to get quilting supplies were TG&Y and Woolworth's. House of Fabrics and Hancock Fabrics was mostly for garment and upholstery sewing. We were mostly hand sewing because we worked and carried our projects to the office. I'm sure we were quite impressed with the designs are the time.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:01 PM

What's old is def new again. The cover looked like a much more recent quilt pattern I bookmarked to do at some point in the future. I think the designer is planning on doing a sew along for it. https://www.bayhillstudio.com/shop/p...lower-template
Old 01-17-2024, 05:51 PM

IceBlossom, - I too remember Gunne Sax.dresses and pinafores .What fun! And I once owned a set to Tri-chem fabric paint. Wow, I had forgotten all about those.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:39 PM

I think the sampler quilts with huge, unrelated blocks that are everywhere right now will be dated eventually, as will matchy quilts from precuts from a single fabric line.

Just my prediction.

charlotte
Old 01-18-2024, 05:03 AM

I am not so sure the patterns are out of date, but rather the color choices that were trending at different time that we find dated. Remember the colonial blue and pink/rose era? The patterns are cool when the colors are replaced with other colors. Our grand children will be making the same comments when all of our grey and orange/turquoise quilts show up in their inheritance when we are gone.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

What WMU said makes sense to me. Many traditional blocks are made these days by pattern designers but it's the colors that update the look.
I certainly remember blue and rose. It seemed like my entire house was that at one time lol.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Well.. what's cool to one person is a hot item for another.

I'd say that a lot of the 70s patterns that featured classic but HUGE blocks are just not made anymore. There was also a movement of using strips of colors (often poly blends) maybe 3-4" thick by a foot or so long, usually in earth tones but not always. You could manipulate the strips, turning them upside down or do other things like forming an arch or circle if you were clever.

The Better Homes and Gardens Patchwork and quilting book with the big appliqued (from double knit??) flowers on the front -- don't see modern versions of that one!
https://www.amazon.com/Better-Homes-.../dp/0696013959
I just bought this book from a second-hand craft store. The tapestry pattern that looks like a window would probably look pretty good in a cabin.

As for what's not cool anymore, I was going to say all that floral chintz from the 80's, but thinking about it... and I know this is controversial... it's probably batiks. I don't really see young people using them, and the patterns that really depend on them like bargellos are starting to feel a bit dated.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:24 AM

How about watercolor quilts? They were all the rage for a while, not so much anymore.