Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-16-2024, 07:21 AM

Everyone's finishes look stunning! I'm still working on clues but getting closer to assembling block A. Still have all those triangles-in-a-square to go before I'll be ready for block B. But making progress, especially on these cold days.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:32 PM

I may go off script and finish mine without the intended borders. My color selections didn't allow for the design to show through very well. I will try to attach a picture but have forgotten how to accomplish this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	indigo way quilt.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	752.1 KB
ID:	647127  
Old 01-16-2024, 03:43 PM

Very pleasing colors, granny12! It's interesting to see how different palettes affect the design.

It turns out I needed a refresher course on spinning seams; I used to be able to spin without taking out stitches, but this sewing machine locks the stitch so well, I have to remove a stitch or two before I can pop them open. I'm now pressing my clue 7 QSTs.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:32 PM

This is what I ended up with as a focus fabric. I thought the floral fabric I tried earlier was too distracting, and I couldn't make the fabric I really liked work with my busy neutral. I'm pleased enough with this one. I'm lucky that the light blue turned out not to be too crucial to the pattern, since many of mine will not show up well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8069_Fotor.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	647129  

Last edited by joe'smom; 01-16-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:41 AM

Another day of not doing much for me yesterday... I'm ok with that. It has warmed up to 6 above this morning you can definitely feel the difference from the minus 15. When I went to college in Fairbanks, it was almost a 100 degree swing from 60 below to 32 above -- you could definitely feel that!!

Granny 12, I really like your colors and using the setting triangles. Are you going to end there or continue with the Triangle blocks around the edges?? I do like to have resting elements in scrap quilts and Bonnie doesn't give those so much as containing the energy

Joe'dMom, I like the effect of the dramatic background and how it sort of makes the Blue and Red fabric look laid down on top of it. The focus fabric holds up well. I think the real power of the background won't show until the blocks are put together. And yeah, the light blues tend to fade out. In my own busy backgrounds, I have some neutrals that are probably more light blue, on the second step using light blues I added in several darker shades closer to "medium".
Old 01-17-2024, 05:53 AM

Joe's mom, I Iove your background fabric too and am starting to learn how to read between the lines on Bonnie's directions and color choices. Her constant bright red should have been a clue for me as my "pretty" print green flowered fabric got lost along with the busy neutrals. But I am starting to like the finish better every time I look at it. Ice Blossom, I haven't decided upon the border yet, but was leaning toward just adding a 2 inch and 4 inch solid border. However I've sewn all the units so I may change my mind. This one is set aside for now while I work on a different pattern for a friend.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:46 PM

Clue 5 squared away! I'm determined to finish clue 6 (already cut and paired up) and clue 3 before I allow myself to begin block construction.

I saw two very interesting variations on the layout at Quiltville, the first two I've seen that appealed to me.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by granny12 View Post
I may go off script and finish mine without the intended borders. My color selections didn't allow for the design to show through very well. I will try to attach a picture but have forgotten how to accomplish this.
I think this colorway looks fantastic!! Setting triangles work well, too! Beautiful work!
Old 01-18-2024, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
This is what I ended up with as a focus fabric. I thought the floral fabric I tried earlier was too distracting, and I couldn't make the fabric I really liked work with my busy neutral. I'm pleased enough with this one. I'm lucky that the light blue turned out not to be too crucial to the pattern, since many of mine will not show up well.
looks great! I’ll be looking forward to seeing this all laid out to see the effect better.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
looks great! I’ll be looking forward to seeing this all laid out to see the effect better.
I'm beginning to think the effect will be a dingy-looking quilt, as I see how the finished quilts benefit from the white background. But I won't consider it an effort wasted, as I always learn so much doing these mysteries.