Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions For Iron >

Suggestions For Iron

Suggestions For Iron

Old 01-19-2024, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Dry steam on seams and blocks is a game changer. I didn't think so until I used it.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Hello. Welcome to the board. I have used a lot of irons over the years. The last one I bought is my favorite so far. The Reliable Maven. Lots of steam on demand and no water in the iron. No drips or sputters. It is five years old and still works great. If you want the absolute best check out Laura Star.
I use steam for some of my vintage tablecloths and pillowcases that I iron as well as for garment construction. I've had 2 Laura Star irons and highly recommend them if you need steam. While expensive, my first LauraStar lasted for over 10 years. I'm on my second now. In between I had an Oliso. I wasn't impressed.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:58 AM

I still use a Rowenta steam and Press travel iron with the long handle. I was first introduced to this iron by Sharon Schamber. I was so lucky to be able to attend a two day workshop with her. I learned so much......anyway, she had the pressing board to the side of her machine and a neat looking iron with the Long handle. She would use it, then turn it on its side and lay it on the board. It got really hot and ironed perfectly. A year ago I saw one on ebay, never used. I bought it as a back up. It is available on amazo, poshmark in addition to other sites. Brentwood has a copy of it as well. For large pieces, i use my large Oliso iron.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:02 PM

I never put water in my irons...use a spray bottle.

I also love my Panasonic Cordless. It's amazing how long it stays hot.

Watson
Old 01-19-2024, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

To use water in the iron is long tedious time wasting job. Never put water in a hot iron. Do not turn on the steam until the iron has reached steam temp. The iron will set and steam when not in use until the auto turn off comes on or temp drops, then it reheats with water in the iron, which is a no no. The water has to be emptied out of the iron before reheating then added to it when heated. over and over. This is the only way to insure no leaks or sputters. Why not get an iron that steams with no water in the iron?
Old 01-20-2024, 05:23 AM

I use a Hamilton Beach Duration, 1700 watts, retractable cord. Around $40.00 at Walmart. I don't put water in it, I use a spray bottle that I bought at Sally Beauty supply.