Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2024 UFO Adventure Challenge >

2024 UFO Adventure Challenge

2024 UFO Adventure Challenge

Old 01-22-2024, 05:59 PM

Dedemac: Very pretty test quilt. Your orphan blocks quilt was done just in time for the bitterly cold weather. I think the orphan block quilt tops take me longer than making a top from a pattern. 🙂. Although, I enjoy making them every once in a while.

Macybaby: That quilt is beautiful!
Old 01-22-2024, 07:11 PM

Joining for this year! I have a lot of incomplete projects I am hoping to wrap up this year. I’m trying to find a balance between not having 100 WIPs but still allowing myself to follow my fancy on a given day/week. I guess this thread is good motivation to prioritize and execute! I simply can’t prioritize the whole list, so I’m just picking one top priority for now.

this is a lap quilt I make for my partner for our 14th anniversary last year (July- eek!). Top is all done and it needs to be sandwiched and quilted. Hoping to finish by the end of February. Then I’ll pick the next top priority!
Old 01-23-2024, 03:25 AM

Oh, what a charming little quilt for your special one. You got it! Choose one UFO and get 'r done and move on. Hope you post a photo of your finish.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:28 AM

I finished a huge (for me) collage top over the weekend and am so relieved. I had never done collage before and signed up for a class at our local LQS in October. I've been pecking away at the thing which has been on our guest bed ever since. I don't have room for a large design wall, and I'd like the bed back so I can lay out a few other projects! This is Laura Heine's "Birch Street." Still needs quilting but hope to get to that on my trusty Elna ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Birch Street.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	647201  
Old 01-23-2024, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've got this ready for the hand embroidery and then on to quilting. It will look a lot better when the embroidery is done as that will fill in a lot of the open black areas around the blocks. I'm calling this "done" as far as it being a UFO. My son has already put dibs on it. Not only did this get a couple of UFO's out of the totes, it also used up a lot of batik scraps and chunks of black yardage leftovers.

Think I'll get working on the Nearly Insane blocks. it will be a good time of the year to be working with reds/pinks.
That is an amazing finish Macybaby. Just wow. It is blue ribbon time. Will you enter it into a show?
Old 01-23-2024, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I finished a huge (for me) collage top over the weekend and am so relieved. I had never done collage before and signed up for a class at our local LQS in October. I've been pecking away at the thing which has been on our guest bed ever since. I don't have room for a large design wall, and I'd like the bed back so I can lay out a few other projects! This is Laura Heine's "Birch Street." Still needs quilting but hope to get to that on my trusty Elna ASAP.
I love this quilt!
Old 01-23-2024, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the nice comments on my quilt - If it weren't for this thread it would all be sitting in boxes forgotten.

QuiltingPandaBear - that is a very nice lap/anniversary quilt. It's nice when our partners appreciate our efforts.

MKotch, love that collage quilt. I have to stop looking at it because the last thing I need is more ideas for starting something new! I'd love to make a collage quilt at some point, and I love houses too.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:25 PM

@Macybaby did you just improv the stained glass portions around the blocks? This looks like a perfect scrap busting opportunity for me. I think it’s still need some kind of blocks for anchor/focal point, but I love the method!
Old 01-23-2024, 01:21 PM

QPB, I did up a template of the total size, then just started sewing pieces together to fill it in. Fitting pieces around the center blocks was the hardest part and required partial seams and a few Y seams to get it fitted. It works the same as a crazy quilt, only with black sewn along the edge before sewing pieces together. I used 3/4" black strips for this. I sewed them on one side, then used that seam as the guide for sewing the next seam. That way I got a more consistent 1/4" reveal.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:16 PM

QuiltingPandaBear: A very nice lap quilt. It will be appreciated by your partner.

Mkotch: Wow to the collage quilt!