Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM

chugging along slooowwwlllyyy on the mystery quilt. Finished pressing Clue 4 today. Now working on piecing clue 3 together, most cut out except for the added blocks. Iceblossom, still loving my Bernina 475 Kaffe ed for piecing. Yep, I am convinced the 5mm feed dog Bernina's are the cat's pajamas for piecing. However, I do like my 590...but not for piecing.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Got my blocks into rows but Cranky Bernie is being cranky again! I think it is time to just bite the bullet and get a new main machine.

I will ponder this a bit and either finish this project with my portable class machine or my trusty vintage machine. But for now -- no sewing for me...
Still liking my Brother 1500 SL for piecing. Manual, straight stitch only.

I’m thinking to get rid of Bernina 770. I think it’s best use is machine embroidery and decorative stitches. Not interested in either. The viewing space is poor for free motion quilting. Eventually it’ll get higher on my priority list. Or maybe not.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:04 PM

Got the blocks done and placed on design wall.img_0243.jpeg

On the wall it looks busy and the design isn’t showing well. I’m thinking some fabric ink might help. Then maybe bleach on some of the filler blocks.

Since changing the size to twin, there’s lots of leftover cutout pieces.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:06 AM

I have noticed that on some other quilts too of the pattern on the cross arms not showing up as well as on others. Does anyone know why? I am thinking it has something to do with the value of the scraps selected? or is it the color? or is it both. It almost looks like it is not the same pattern but it is.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:21 AM

sewingpup, the color of the cross arms has to be very strong and bright in order to show as intended, especially if the indigo has been used in clues 1 and 3 (the big HSTs). I've noticed some Quiltville quilts that used lighter colors for the indigo in those clues, and the cross arms stand out very clearly in those quilts. There was also one quilt that used a darker neutral for clue 4 (in A block), which made all of block A less prominent, and the cross arms stood out beautifully there. So I think it is a matter of strength and brightness of color for the cross arms, plus not setting up a competition between the cross arms and other elements of the quilt.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:49 PM

Petthefabric…wow…really unique colorway. Looks great!
Old 01-22-2024, 07:41 PM

petthefabric, while the slashing design doesn't show well, your fabrics are very interesting, and the center of the B block stands out nicely. I would suggest trying some alternate arrangements if you're not pleased with this, before modifying your fabric (unless that's something you really enjoy doing).

I've finished my clue 6s. Now it's just me and my remaining clue 3s.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:49 AM

Good Morning everyone. I just wanted to give encouragement to those that are working thru the clues. In the past, I know I have been tempted to give up at this point and start something else. Don't do it! Carry on. It's worth it in the end.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:22 AM

More words of encouragement -- there is a point in pretty much every project where I hate it and want it to be over. Being so close to it, we are aware of every issue. It doesn't help to see other people's project and go "oooo I wish I went that direction" but that's part of the mystery element. One the one hand, that makes it easy to give it away when done. A year later I'm looking at the top or picture and start to wonder what it was that I didn't like so much.

Today my Tuesday sewing group is finally meeting again. We took days off after Christmas and New Year's and then the weather took us out another couple of weeks. It will feel good to go out of the house and be with sewing people

As I ponder my repair/replace options with Cranky Bernie, I'm going to clean up my blocks for Indigo Way. I seem to have more fluff than usual stuck to these blocks... My how the little bits of white show on the red and vice versa. I'm also considering which way I want my outer border triangle blocks to go -- I'm thinking I'm going to reverse them and have the red solid edge on the outside instead of as designed. Minor change and can be made last minute.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:23 AM

Has anyone counted how many pieces are in this quilt. There seems to be so many! Yep, plugging away on Clue 3.