Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 01-20-2024, 05:34 PM

WMUTeach, got your PM! Thank you! It’s so nice being one of the first. I’ll be ready to mail Monday to our other birthday gal.

I haven’t gotten very far with Checkerboard Chain but it’s been busy around here. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get a few blocks done. Is anyone else doing CC?

Tonight it’s going down to 7 degrees with windchills below zero. Brrr. Not unheard of around here by any means but I wish it would come with a bit of snow.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:15 AM

I have two baby quilts that I put a three week deadline on for their finish. Top of one done last night and pulled the plans for second to cut this afternoon while I ponder quilting #1. During the cutting of #1 I have been putting all my small scraps into a basket for the CC quilt. I don't dare start it until #1 and #2 are finished. But when I finish those, CC is my February 2.5 quilt, JaniceMcC. Oooo, I just realized that I am going to a small two day "retreat" with four friends the second weekend of February. I think I will be taking the checkerboard square quilt as my project! Yes, that's the ticket! Gather ye, scraps while ye may and stitch and square the days away. Show us your progress on 2.5 day!
Old 01-21-2024, 07:55 AM

I will mail this week too. I looked at heavy duty 9 x 6 clasp envelopes at office max, WAY expensive, then much cheaper ones at the dollar store but dubious quality. finally noticed office max has 8.75 x 5.75 Kraft paper greeting card envelopes (no clasp) at a reasonable price, 25 for $5. They are called A9 size, as someone had mentioned here. The slightly smaller size is a better fit for 6 stacks of 8 so I think it'll be perfect!
Janice, I am seriously thinking about the CC quilt, too many projects going on now to start it yet but I've started cutting 1.5 inch squares. Let me know you guys if my squares are not up to snuff.
​​
Old 01-21-2024, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Didn't mean to rush you!

Both of my February envelopes went into the box at the post office this morning.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:04 PM

Sent my candies out today!
Old 01-22-2024, 06:29 PM

I picked up some jelly rolls at the Houston Quilt Show with candy squares in mind!

The two envelopes for our February quilters will be dropped in the mail tomorrow; wishing them safe travels!
Old 01-23-2024, 03:35 AM

Quossum. WOW you were thinking of us while at the Huston Show!! We are honored. Thank you. Anxious to see what you chose for your swapping friends.

Thank you everyone who has posted that they sent here! Yea we are on our way. It won't be long and we will start seeing lists of what has arrived.

Looks like another winter day in Michigan. Freezing rain resulting in schools, colleges and universities and some businesses taking a pause. I guess that means l will "slide" into my sewing room and stitch away and wait for the ice to melt.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:10 AM

Good morning. I've been making slow progress on CC between errands, watching the grands and household projects. I'll have a little something to show for 2.5 Day. While sewing squares, I ran into two batches of candies, I don't know when I got them or from whom, that were cut terribly askew, many almost 45 degrees off grain, and were small. I am able to cut some down and use them for the 1-1/2 inch squares on CC so I'm happy for that. The really bad ones I just tossed out. I hesitate saying anything because the vast majority are really nice blocks. Thank you to everyone who works hard to carefully cut. It's so appreciated.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:56 AM

Some progress on my blocks! This is not their final order, I just spread them out because I wanted to see what colors I had!

Old 01-23-2024, 01:32 PM

Envelopes are on their way.......Wanted to share my current hand piecing project--yes it is all hand pieced. Someone said that they thought 1.5 inch blocks were to small. I used to think so too, until I fell in love with this pattern. It goes by many names: Rosalia Flower Garden, Jack's Chain, and Morning glory are a few I found. It was printed in the Kansas City Star newspaper on December. 13, 1939. A special month and day for me. Yes it has 1.5 inch blocks making up the 9 patch, and yes the construction includes more Y seams then straight, but it is very fun for me. I can sit at night and create the 9 patch's then work on 1 of 3 of the blocks that make up this quilt pattern. I am working on getting a good length and width for a lap quilt, then I will see if I can expand to a twin. It will all depend on how much of the white background fabric I have. The bottom row in the picture will not be sewn there, it is laid out to see my progress. It is like a little mushroom, growing bit by bit at night.

Now to photo my current 2.5 inch block pattern, that one was not fun at all, but I will finish it before moving on to another machine pieced project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	647214