Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2024 UFO Adventure Challenge >

2024 UFO Adventure Challenge

2024 UFO Adventure Challenge

Old 01-26-2024, 02:48 PM

Great finishes everyone. I enjoy reading about your progress.

I have my r/w/blk top quilted. Afterwards I did something to my knee and now have issues walking upstairs for the last few weeks. The sad thing I only need to cut, sew, and iron the binding and square the quilt. Then I can sew on the binding by machine. I hope to get it done by the end of the month. So bottom line I’m making progress.

My next UFO project = quilt modern floral top after I sew on an extra border on the top and backing, so it fits a twin bed. Plus enlarge my started Pat Sloan’s, “Traffic Jam,” top. I think I have everything cut out, just need to sew together and quilt. My goal next month to complete 2-3 smaller UFO projects.

Happy sewing/quilting everyone.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:11 PM

Dedemac: Nice blocks! I did some of the blocks for 365 days also. I found them while organizing my 3.5” squares. Some of them I incorporated into a quilt top already. The others fell off of my table and I didn’t notice them until I had another quilt top done. I guess they will be there for another quilt. 🙂. Like you, the blocks wouldn’t be as daunting for me now.

UFO update: I’m hoping to get it sandwiched this week. I plan to take it to my church quilting room and use the tables there.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:30 AM

In this case my UFOs were PIGs. PIG is a project in bag- got fabric, got pattern , no sewing done. (Cut fabric but no sewing is still PIG). Anyway, I had 2- 3 yards quilts set up and I finished both flimsys this weekend, cut batting, and chose backings from stash. (Fabric moratorium people - that's 10 yards total). One is loaded on longarm and ready to go.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:16 PM

UFO or PIGS, they all can use our attention and Rif1010, you are so on it! Two ready to quilt and 10 yards out of your stash! Whoo Hoo!
Old 02-04-2024, 08:50 AM

I've been working on my Nearly Insane blocks. It's fun to be working with all the reds this time of year!
Old 02-04-2024, 09:39 AM

I didn't get my Jewel Box Star to a complete flimsy in January. I just need to put the last row on and then decide how to quilt it. Not sure if I'll be able to finish another UFO in February. I leave for vacation in 17 days. Hawai'i here I come.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:53 PM

I’ve only made a tiny bit of progress on the quilt I want to finish by the end of the month. I went to sandwich it today and realized it was just too small to be practical (56” square), and all I had for ready to use batting was some expensive wool that I’m saving for another project. So instead of sandwiching today, I added borders (now 66” square) and made Frankenbatting from a couple of fleece throw blankets that needed repurposing.

It’s a step in the right direction. I hope I can make time to sandwich this week. I need to slowly do the quilting a bit at a time to not wreck my hands and shoulders or get really annoyed with it. Once basted it can live on the sewing table and I’ll peck away at it.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:00 AM

Yes progress, I remember your post. Don't forget to press your top and backing so you get a good smooth finish before you start layering and quilting. Love the pattern and I do recall the story. Keep posting so we can see the final results of all your determined work.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've been working on my Nearly Insane blocks. It's fun to be working with all the reds this time of year!
macybaby, judging by your fabulous stained glass window quilt you probably have the red one worked out but if not this quilt might give you inspiration. I think it might look good in red. You might have enough to make two quilts so I don’t know if that will help reduce your UFOs.
u
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FB77A9B3-AFA2-4B26-BA8F-D853EDC9ED01.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	647386  
Old 02-05-2024, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
This is going to sound *very* strange, but I think Bonnie Hunter Indigo Way was giving me mild anxiety. Don't know why, but I was stressed about it. So I put everything into project bags - and it's going to take a week off.
I am so glad to hear you say this. That’s how I feel. I thought I was the only one. I enjoy quilting but I am very slow. I like being slow so I limit my mistakes and because it’s more medative for me.

I am also a tiny bit of a control freak and can’t outlay huge amounts on fabric and time without knowing whether I will like the look of the finished design. But I know I’m in the minority.