Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are We Organizing Today 2024 >

What are We Organizing Today 2024

What are We Organizing Today 2024

Old 01-22-2024, 04:57 AM

Color coding small scraps sure does make it easier for me to use them. Paddingtonbear, what ever way works for you, your space, your scraps is perfect. Sort on and smile while you dream up new projects that will use your color coded scraps.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:46 PM

paddingtonbear: Congratulations on organizing your 2” squares. I just finished organizing my bright/floral 2.5” squares and HSTs. Like you, I separated them by color, put them in plastic bags, and clear tubs. My strips are sorted by length, not by color.
Old 01-27-2024, 03:08 PM

Hello fellow 2024 organizers. I wanted to come brag about some work we did today and this seems like the place to do it.

We moved on October 26 and have been very slow about getting the whole house finished. The holidays, sickness, travel, and weather have all worked against us. We are trying to purge as we unpack so as not to clutter up our new home.

Our house has a beautiful bonus room that’s 19’8” by 13’9”, has two windows, and two walk-in closets. Today we went to Sam’s and bought three large metal shelf units and started opening boxes. We were able to get 80-90% of our stash put away in the stash closet, and maybe 20% of our tools and “stuff” in the tool closet. We are very happy with our results today.

The rest of the house is also slowly coming together. Everything that has to be opened and sorted is in the garage. That means we can’t park in there right now, but it keeps the mess out of the house. When we work out there, we find that we only really need to keep a fraction of what’s there. It feels so good to let go of things and know we aren’t bringing clutter in.

I only took pics of the stash closet. I wish I had taken before pictures of the room. It was literally a hazard! You could barely walk in there. There are still a few boxes in the main room but the next big push will be to finish that off and arrange furniture in there. And Monday we are getting lighting installed. That room only has one LED light in the center of the room. We are getting ten more and a dimmer switch installed. It’s going to make a huge difference.

Hope everyone hits all their goals for 2024. We are on our way!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5132.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	647269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5133.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	647270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5134.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	647271  
Old 01-27-2024, 04:42 PM

Oh, how lovely, Wesing! I want to come shopping! But then I have my own lovely stash to use up. You have such a good organizational plan and skills. And to hold off this long before just tossing fabric in a closet is to be commended. Whoo-hoo for you! Boy, oh, boy I bet that fells wonderful to just walk past the closet and see all of your treasures waiting to be put to use.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
Hello fellow 2024 organizers. I wanted to come brag about some work we did today and this seems like the place to do it.

We moved on October 26 and have been very slow about getting the whole house finished. The holidays, sickness, travel, and weather have all worked against us. We are trying to purge as we unpack so as not to clutter up our new home.

Our house has a beautiful bonus room that’s 19’8” by 13’9”, has two windows, and two walk-in closets. Today we went to Sam’s and bought three large metal shelf units and started opening boxes. We were able to get 80-90% of our stash put away in the stash closet, and maybe 20% of our tools and “stuff” in the tool closet. We are very happy with our results today.

The rest of the house is also slowly coming together. Everything that has to be opened and sorted is in the garage. That means we can’t park in there right now, but it keeps the mess out of the house. When we work out there, we find that we only really need to keep a fraction of what’s there. It feels so good to let go of things and know we aren’t bringing clutter in.

I only took pics of the stash closet. I wish I had taken before pictures of the room. It was literally a hazard! You could barely walk in there. There are still a few boxes in the main room but the next big push will be to finish that off and arrange furniture in there. And Monday we are getting lighting installed. That room only has one LED light in the center of the room. We are getting ten more and a dimmer switch installed. It’s going to make a huge difference.

Hope everyone hits all their goals for 2024. We are on our way!
such a lovely space, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:56 PM

wesing: Congratulations on your move! Your closet looks great!
Old 01-28-2024, 11:33 AM

I just sent my niece a package containing different quilting blocks. They were extra when I made different quilts. I told her she can make pot holders, hot pads, etc. and just have fun with them. When I was starting quilting I would have loved getting something like that in the mail. Just sent it so don't know what her reply will be. But it emptied one small tote. Yeah!!
Old 01-28-2024, 01:27 PM

Wow Wesing! your stash closet looks great. Contgratulations on getting it organized.

Karamarie- great way to destash!

Yesterday I started working on decluttering and organizing another hobby on the list I posted at the beginning of the year. The first thing I did was look for trash and promptly filled my trashcan. I also managed to remove two boxes of stuff from my junk journal, foam core off cuts and mat board offcuts stashes. I managed to foist them off on -- er, I mean, they are going to my sister who will use them in her STEAM classroom! I also organized the junk journaling supplies I kept, though some of those will probably go in the pile of things I'm putting together for my studio sale.

Happy organizing/decluttering everyone!

Rob
Old 01-29-2024, 02:52 AM

@wesing congratulations on your fabulous stash storage and layout. Beautiful.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:58 AM

ok, how about quilts out the door? This past winter I donated 7 tops to a orphan mission in Alaska, the directors mother has a long arm and was thrilled to get them, nearly as thrilled as I was to see them gone. They were lovely and/or fun, but I like to to sew tops not quilt them
I also sold a stack of family tops, at this point I knew I'd never get around to quilting them. In all honesty I've had most of them for 30-40 years. If not done yet, they never would be. It was a relief and blessing to let them go.

This week I'm pulling finished quilts from my own piles. We just have the one bed and I change out the quilts every month, but how many quilts do I need? I make double sided quilts and even if I keep 12, that is still quite a stack and when will I use new ones??? And I love to make quilts, bed quilts I send out for quilting.
So I have 4 quilts pulled photoed measured, and will do some more today.
So far I've decided on Bonnie Hunter mysteries, love them, can make more.
Fused and machine stitched applique. Not a fan of the method but someone will love those quilts, they are fun.
Some vintage quilts I hand quilted but they are funny sizes and I don't use them.
Some inherited from Rob's aunt, super heavy, again, I don't use them.

So I'm counting this cupboard organization as a 100% win win. They would just get donated or pitched when I'm gone anyway, not that I'll be caring.
How many quilts do you keep and use?