Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-27-2024, 05:35 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Sashing

My “body” is done , almost. When putting the red and light blue border squares on, it makes it look like an after thought. I think it is my light blue color choice. Sorry no pictures, but would love to see some examples of others border designs,
TIA
Old 01-27-2024, 06:13 AM

Terry, if you haven't found the facebook page to see what some others have decided, it is here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291023511046957/

I haven't done any sewing since my last post but starting yesterday I've been cleaning up from the Indigo Way project and putting all of Bernie's stuff together... and moving things into the closets I had built in the basement sewing room.

My part 6 units (red triangles/various light blue backgrounds) are already sewn. I'm pretty sure I'm going to basically go with Bonnie's design, except to turn the unit around so the red makes a solid line along the outer edges. BTW, I call the "body" the "bed"

One of the issues to be aware of in designing a different border is that it was designed with an odd number of units, but that can easily be modified by changing the inner boarder widths. If you've already made the subunits, one of my (wrong) guesses was that they were going to be turned into large diamonds, like the ones in a Storm at Sea, simply by sewing the red edges of units together.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:45 AM

I'm nearing completion of clue 3, and have constructed the red/blue corner HSTs.

Terry in the ADK, I understand what you mean about the border looking like an after thought, although I hadn't thought that until I saw examples of IW tops that switched the blue to neutral. There is definitely something a bit incongruous about the look of the blue. However, I'm not personally willing to re-do that clue in neutral, plus it does unite all of my light blues, from dull to bright, so I am going with the red/blue units. The quilt looks fine with just the inner neutral border and a thicker, plain navy outer border. I know that in manyother years, people have come up with all sorts of border variations for the mystery, but I am not seeing much of that this year.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:29 AM

This was an interesting quilt this year. There is more to be said about color hues and patterns that effect the final outcome more than other BH mysteries in the past IMHO. I'm still plugging away but not very fast and not as excited to just put out a finish.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:33 AM

I got my top all sewn together (1/2 size). I am still not fond of this quilt because I chose a too busy neutral for part of mine, but I am forgiing ahead. Today I will trim and stay stich the edges. I need to cut the borders and get them sewn on too.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:25 AM

I have finished clue 3!!! I could hardly believe that after counting about a thousand times while working on this clue, that I still ended up one set short. But they are all done now (including the extras), and I've moved on to constructing the A block.

Now that I am focused on the block, I'm appreciating again the cleverness of the design, and how fortunate I am that the light blue doesn't play a more crucial design role, because mine are barely visible against my neutral. I don't know what I was thinking when I supposedly checked the contrast. I think I get an idea in my head, and then stick with it regardless of the evidence.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:08 AM

Joe'smom,

Yay! So happy for you. I work on it sporadically, not sure why this one is taking me so long. It is a beauty and I do like it.
Old 01-28-2024, 11:43 AM

Finished Clue 3 yesterday, working on Clue 7 today, still have clue 6 to stitch. Then on to the blocks. Listening to an audio book from the library on my Iphone. It is a 19 hour book, have 7 hours left, due in 7 days when it goes "poof" off my Iphone. Hopefully, it will take me through getting both 7, and then 6 done. Am I being overly optimistic?
Old 01-29-2024, 05:48 AM

Putting together the diagonal rows. As Ice said, there’s a time I’ve lost interest. But, since I have only one design wall, highly motivated to finish.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:50 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
This was an interesting quilt this year. There is more to be said about color hues and patterns that effect the final outcome more than other BH mysteries in the past IMHO. I'm still plugging away but not very fast and not as excited to just put out a finish.
Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Terry, if you haven't found the facebook page to see what some others have decided, it is here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291023511046957/

I haven't done any sewing since my last post but starting yesterday I've been cleaning up from the Indigo Way project and putting all of Bernie's stuff together... and moving things into the closets I had built in the basement sewing room.

My part 6 units (red triangles/various light blue backgrounds) are already sewn. I'm pretty sure I'm going to basically go with Bonnie's design, except to turn the unit around so the red makes a solid line along the outer edges. BTW, I call the "body" the "bed"

One of the issues to be aware of in designing a different border is that it was designed with an odd number of units, but that can easily be modified by changing the inner boarder widths. If you've already made the subunits, one of my (wrong) guesses was that they were going to be turned into large diamonds, like the ones in a Storm at Sea, simply by sewing the red edges of units together.
Thanks, Iceblossom, for the Facebook info. I do follow that and will keep doing so. I think I may do something with the diamond idea.
Hope you and others get your Mojo back soon. Once the reveal is published, it can be hard to do!