Fabric Moratorium 2024

Old 01-27-2024, 07:26 PM

Cleaned up the fabric...I mean guest room today. thought I was going to need more chocolate brown (I use it often enough that it's worth keeping around, also navy). But I found a chunk. No purchases there! Always better when I can stay out of the store. Also identified 2 backings for works.in progress. Go me!
Old 01-27-2024, 07:55 PM

I was hoping to make it through January with no fabric purchases but that ain't happening. <sigh> it looks like I need more of my red fabric to finish up clues 6 and 7 for Bonnie Hunter's Indigo Way. I did think about shopping my stash for another red but I know myself and I would not be satisfied with the look. This red is a couple of years old but I was able to find it online. I'll be adding 3/4 of a yard to my stash but when Indigo Way is done, that should be close to 12 yds out of my stash!
Old 01-27-2024, 08:27 PM

Great stories of willpower and stashbusting - it's awesome to have so many people on the wagon for this year's trip. Go team! :-)

Like Pet, I've been talking to my stash to see what it wants to make next - I took some time today to tidy up a bit of a mess and I'm seeing a couple of bulging scrap boxes, so I think there will be a message coming through soon! Of course, there are current projects that need to be finished up first (as always)!

And Sync - remember that buying what is needed for a project that is underway is a totally valid reason to shop. And wow - 12 yards is going to be something to celebrate!!!

Last edited by Gemm; 01-27-2024 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:59 AM

WMUTeach - what is a Pladish quilt? That's something I never heard of.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:52 PM

Woodlandcreature, Here is a photo of one of my previous versions of a pladish quilt. If you google it you can find lots of examples. The one I am making now is almost identical to the one in the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-28 Plaidish top only.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	647282  
Old 01-28-2024, 04:41 PM

WMUTeach - that's fabulous. My husband is of Scottish descent, and at one time, I thought about making a quilt based on his family tartan. I might just have to resurrect that idea.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:04 PM

Woohoo - another half-yard stash clearance victory under my belt. This time I used a man's 100% cotton shirt I had stashed away to tone in with the shirtings in the quilt. Like in the last community/charity quilt, everything was done except a binding. I did have some of the backing flannel as offcuts but I'm much happier with the blue. :-)

As an aside, this was a pattern I hadn't seen before but have now added to my ideas file. As far as I can tell there aren't any of the shirtings that have been repeated in the quilt top (maybe one or two but I haven't found them) and yet it still has a nice sense of cohesion thanks to the consistent background/accent fabric and regular wave pattern. Anyway, enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9008.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	647317  
Old 01-30-2024, 04:36 AM

Gemm, you did a nice job coordinating the colors within each side of the blocks. A good looking quilt that looks perfect for snuggling up in on a cold winter evening with a cup of tea and a book. Yea! on using more from your stash! I have used this pattern before with all of the blocks being purple, lavender, violet and so on. Good way to use scraps to make a cohesive finish.

I used this version of the block. In case any one else wants the pattern. (2020 Scrap Buster Challenge from Boarder Creek Station) https://media.rainpos.com/5177/the_s...uctions_v2.pdf
Old 01-30-2024, 05:24 AM

Gemm --- Nice finish and nice design to add to your repertoire. As you've found out there is a lot of fabric in (especially a large man's) shirt!

One of the fun things that can be done with that block and others like it that are also basically HST like a log cabin is the many ways you can set the top. When I moved I donated most of my books. One I kept was Judy Martin's original Log Cabin Quilt Book -- back from the days of templates and not rotary cutting directions but with a lot of great information.

Here's a page I found that gives some of the overall layouts --
https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt...-quilt-layouts

For me -- well, I said I would be buying some fabric this year for a specific set of projects and I did -- but while I was there at the fabric store I didn't buy a slightly better back for my Bonnie Hunter mystery this year. I had a nice dark royal blue in my stash that will work fine even if it isn't quite the navy or indigo blue of the top. Nor did I buy anything not on my list although some of the sale fabrics tempted me greatly -- especially one with donuts, maybe I was just hungry??

Edit: When I tested my link I had sort of a different result from my first view with a "view slideshow" option. At the top of that is a "view all" button which I liked much better.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:58 AM

WMU - thanks for providing a source for that pattern - I've watched the Stash Buster challenge for the last couple of years but I obviously wasn't "there" yet in 2020! It would be fun to know whether the quiltmaker of the quilt I finished did it as part of the challenge that year. :-)

Iceblossom - that is a great resource for HST/LC layouts! It also reminded me that I have a quilt's worth of LC blocks still laid out on the guest room bed (since well before Christmas! Yikes!). I guess that might be a good next project to tackle. Also, congratulations for shopping your stash and engaging your willpower at the quilt store! While I do like my backing to be somehow connected/related/toned in to my top, I'm always happy when I haven't had to splurge on something that really doesn't get looked at much. :-)