Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing a longarm as a beginner >

Choosing a longarm as a beginner

Choosing a longarm as a beginner

Old 01-30-2024, 12:54 PM

Default Choosing a longarm as a beginner

Hi,
I am looking for suggestions to choose the best option between Handi Quilter Moxie and King Quilter II Elite. King Quilter seems to have more features as I have seen some reviews online. It is my first time using a longarm quilting machine so I would be looking for a friendly option here.

Looking forward towards your suggestions! Thanks

Edit: Just checked features of both from a website above and there is a clear difference of throat space. King Quilter does have 18" throat space which is good as compared to 15" throat space of Moxie.

Last edited by patricej; 01-30-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:46 PM
mkc

Longarms are like buying a car - you really want to test drive first and see/feel which you're most comfortable with using and seems most intuitive to you.

As a beginner, I'd encourage you to rent first if possible (many shops have rental machines available). Also, strongly consider one that's either able to be easily user-maintained (timing, etc.) or, if you're not handy, one where you have a dealer with a reasonable distance. Support/service after the sale is important with the head unit, especially if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Quilting with a longarm is quite different than doing straight-line or FMQ on a regular sewing machine. Renting one via something like a certification class (you'll get basic instructions) and operating one for a few hours will let you know what it's like.

I rented 2 different models of one brand, then tried 3 or 4 other models at road shows and dealers. One stood out for me, but I didn't have enough comfortable room for the depth of the frame (not the length, but the front-to-back from where you stand to the wall behind the machine). I opted for the one I liked next best and would fit, but 3 1/2 years later I wish I'd gone with my first choice and dealt with the room being cramped.

Last edited by mkc; 01-30-2024 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:15 PM
mkc

BTW - those links you posted are a spammer site hosted in Reykjavik - warning to other members
Old 01-30-2024, 06:05 PM

When in doubt - more throat space is better
Old 01-31-2024, 07:47 AM

Your best bet as others have mentioned is to try out as many quilt systems as possible. I went to a quilt show where there will be all sorts of systems and folks to talk to about each system. I started off small just to see if I'd like to quilt. Grace Pro frame 10ft with a 9" throat Viking MegaQuilter. Right off I realized 9" doesn't give you much but then I added a robotic system plus they also had an add-on that would give you up to 18". The add-on didn't work well so I moved up to a stretched Juki which then gave me the 18". FInally decided to go all the way moving up to a 26" with robotics on a 12ft frame. Have changed robotic systems since then but I'm happy with what I've got now. Again, I didn't know if I'd even like to quilt so didn't want to put too much money into it until I found out. As it is, I haven't touched my system in almost 9 months now as my mojo decided to take a vacation it seems.

First find out if you really like to quilt, then make a list of the options you might want on it or can add to it as you go along, then test out all of them you can find. Also check to see what customer service they offer as that's an important part of owning your own system. If you have no customer service support, a broken machine is just a door stop to you.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:18 AM

I am in the market for a long arm, I recently found the King and I like the basic price but I have a lot of concerns over a machine I can't try in person. The frame and robotics upcharges quickly make the price point closer to what I can try out. The Moxie and its standard frame is too small for what I want... but I mostly work in large queen sized quilts.

I have some experience with a friend's long arm and I know the features I want and (sadly) know my price point... I will be using cash from my house sale and no, I can't be convinced on "just a few more dollars per month". Don't think I can afford robotics and I'm most likely going with a used system. I need a 10-12' frame (and have room for it!), a stitch regulator, and I'd like back handles for pantos but I think I don't have that much room.

One of the things new long armers don't really think through is the amount of space you will need. Basically a family room, large bedroom, or single car garage. These aren't things you can take up/down easily. My normal sewing rate is about a project per month and I have dozens of tops waiting to be done. I am not going to regret the space.

What I've seen from being with my friends if there is usually a lot of sales pressure in that "you can make money by quilting for others". What I've observed is there is usually at least a 2 year learning curve before you are ready to quilt for others and most people don't like the experience for a variety of reasons.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:26 PM

I will echo the others - GNet the largest throat quilting machine you can afford and the biggest frame 'yiu can fir in your space and afford.

I started out with a H Q 16 and PCQuilter, used. Loved it, but PCQuilter wasn't being supported as it had been in the past and my computer it ran with was fading fast. I wanted another HQ machine with computerized quilting, but the cost stopped me. I looked at Q'niques and wound up buying a Q'nique 21 with QCT Beginnings 5 years ago, I've only had one problem with it - timing went out. Grace support worked with my husband and we got it working again.

Look for used quilt set ups in your area. You can usually try before you buy, which is good.

I have a friend who bou h t a used Innova and loves it, too.