Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Recommendations Wanted! >

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 12-31-2023, 07:13 AM

I am still monitoring suggestions and am still working my way through suggestions and series! My library has 7 audio books by Cahn.

I have put the audio version of Quilt of Souls on my list, it is available on Audible but not the library.

It took a long time (22 weeks??) but Demon Copperhead came off hold this past week. I'm glad there was at least a semi happy/hopeful ending.

Currently I have a (non dragon) book by Robin Hood, one of the authors Kalama had suggested. I think it was also Kalama who suggested the Spencer Quinn books narrated by the dog, just started them (prequel and book 1) but will continue in that series.

From a "best of" Science Fiction list, I really did enjoy Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie and will read the 2-3 others in that series as well as others by the author.

On my "still haven't read" list, I've gone through all sorts of classics but one of the few remaining is Don Quixote. With this thread bumped up I looked at audio version recommendations and put the one narrated by Greg Guidall on my library wish list. There are four different versions through the library. I have made it through Moby Dick (and found it more interesting than I thought I would) and have no interest in Ulysses by James Joyce...
Old 02-01-2024, 11:25 AM

I'm not the fast reader some of you are as I work full time. I just finished my second book for 2024 a few days ago. Dragons Don't Eat Meat by Kim McDougall was funny and entertaining and it's book 1 in a series. I didn't look back so it could be that someone in this thread has already mentioned it and that's why I read it! About to start either a David Baldacci book or a Carl Hiaasen book. Very different genres so will just see what my mood is when I sit down to read.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

I just started "The Sisterhood: The Secret History of the Women of the CIA" by Liza Mundy. Nonfiction.
"Homegoing" by Yea Gyasi
"Being Henry" by Henry Winkler (it is very revealing about his struggles - better to listen to than read, although I did both)
Old 02-01-2024, 06:58 PM

I'm just finishing up "West With Giraffes", and really enjoyed it. Historical fiction.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:41 AM

Nice to see some new suggestions and posts. I have a number of new books on hold that aren't released yet and still/always need suggestions! One of the books on pre-release hold is said to be Jacqueline Winspear's last Maisie Dobbs book, The Comfort of Ghosts coming out in June.

I finished the Farseer (Assassin) triology, by Robin Hobb who was the author of the the dragon books suggested by Kalama (also read those). My average book is maybe around 12-16 hours -- that last book alone was a staggering 38 hours!! But it was a good story and ended well and it kept me company while working on my Bonnie Hunter project in addition to my nightly listen.

Some books I find more compelling than others, another recent finish was They Drown Our Daughters by Katrina Monroe. Hard to describe -- gothic horror? dark thriller? It pulled me in and stuck with me afterwards.

Another book that stuck with me was Ammonite by Nikola Griffith. That is a semi-dystopian futuristic book about a lot of different things... I have another book on hold by the author, Hild, based on actual medieval characters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hild_(novel)

For a brighter story (in many ways) after that was the Leif Enger book So Brave, Young, and Handsome. Thanks to the people who recommended that author. A fantastical journey through the old West, sort of a more modern take on Bilbo Baggins leaving his house without even a handkerchief.

I've also found a new-to-me author/books I'm enjoying. So far 3 books in this series by Jeffrey B. Burton, "Mace Reid K-9 Mysteries". The books are set in Illinois (or at least the Chicago area). Mace is a handler of HRD (human remain detection -- cadaver) dogs. A bit darker than cozy, not quite procedural, I've enjoyed them.
https://us.macmillan.com/series/macereidk9mystery
Old 02-03-2024, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

My DIL and I like the same books it seems and we let each other know of a new one. She just loved The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store. I'm waiting for my copy. She's never recommended a book I didn't love.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
My DIL and I like the same books it seems and we let each other know of a new one. She just loved The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store. I'm waiting for my copy. She's never recommended a book I didn't love.
that is in my list for my other book club. I have the book since there was a waiting list at the library for any version
Old 02-15-2024, 05:47 AM

I don’t think Alan Bradley and his Flavia de Luce series has been mentioned. I have been a fan for years and just listened to the first in my series reread in preparation for new release this fall. The main character is a 12 yo chemistry genius living in a crumbling manor house in rural 1950’s England. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tom-of-the-pie
Old 02-17-2024, 05:21 AM

I put the first book of the Flavia de Luce series on hold. It will take a couple weeks before I have it.

Just finished The Sentence by Louise Erdich. I love the author but just wasn't ready for this book. The short blurb says it's about a ghost in a bookstore. The longer form is the bookstore is in Minneapolis and the year is 2020. Had a lot more about George Floyd and Covid than I was prepared for -- just like I couldn't really handle end of the world by plague stores very well during the worst of Covid. Still a good book...

Another less than satisfactory for me (and I think especially in audio) was Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_in_the_Bardo

On the cozier mystery side of things, a couple more books in Paige Shelton's Alaska Wild series were recently obtained by my library. An author from Missouri escapes a kidnapper and hides in a small town in SE Alaska...
https://us.macmillan.com/series/alaskawild
The publisher blurb mentions "fans of Vicki Delany's Molly Smith books" will enjoy it. I really like Vick Delaney's earlier (Constable Molly) books and would not consider them cozy. Now she is churning out a lot of perfectly acceptable cozy mysteries but I'm not as thrilled with them. Sort of like I feel in fantasy there is a big quality gap between (the always prolific) early Piers Anthony and more recent books.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/661...le-molly-smith

I am continuing to enjoy the antics of Sheriff Longmire as well as the Chet and Bernie dog/human detective duo...

Old 03-01-2024, 05:16 AM

If you like history, has anyone mentioned "The Dressmakers of Auschwitz" by Lucy Adlington? I've only started my paperback copy, but it's very interesting. It's also available to borrow from most libraries by ebook, but I think there's a waiting list in my area, which is why I bought the used paperback.