Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creases on back of quilt! >

Creases on back of quilt!

Creases on back of quilt!

Old 02-01-2024, 08:16 AM

I don’t know how anyone pin basted and avoids creases. I certainly can’t and it’s so upsetting. I feel for you. I really can’t live with creases or really obvious flaws.

Luckily I have a huge expanse of timber floor (in my living room - luckily DH is tolerant!) where I stretch out a protective sheet a bit smaller than the quilt. Then I tape the backing to the floor not too tightly (surround it with protective sheets so DH stays tolerant) and then spray and smooth each layer. I crawl all over the quilt to achieve this.

I leave it taped to the floor and looking perfect for 24 hrs or until it is completely dry.
Then, no matter how long it takes or how rough I am with the quilt while quilting it it stays together perfectly. Of course I have other problems…🤣 but this one I’ve solved, I think. 🤞

Last edited by paddingtonbear; 02-01-2024 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Pick dark, busy fabrics for your backings. I once did a large queen size quilt and after FMQing it, I found a large 1/2 inch crease on one side about 3 feet long. I used a matching thread and used an invisible ladder stitch to sew it down. I was the only one who knew it was there due to the busy backing.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:17 AM

I always pin and nearly never have creases on the back. Of course, I only do walking foot quilting, so that might be the difference, as I am just plodding along. I do check the back a lot, though.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 02-02-2024, 12:25 PM

Any creases on the back of a quilt would be unacceptable to me. I quilt on a sitdown machine and use Elmer's Washable School glue to baste my quilts. I do a LOT of charity quilts as well as quilts for gifting and myself. So far, zero creases after doing more than 300 quilts with the Elmer's glue.