Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Garden Party quilt >

Garden Party quilt

Garden Party quilt

Old 02-04-2024, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I always use the lite Heat’n bond product for my machine appliqué, it is my favourite. However recently I have been helping a friend with a Laura Heine collage pattern and it calls for steam a seam 2.
Does your pattern also build the quilt on a foundation like the collage ones, or is it more of a “normal” appliqué pattern where you fuse your appliqué to the background? Do you have a see through appliqué sheet to build your shapes on before fusing them to your background? Just asking these questions to see if there is something I can help you with.

have you already seen this video about the laser cut kit? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNrJNu3BF60
Yep, from 5 yrs ago. Saw that one and Laser Cut no longer sells the kit.

I’ve never used fusible so I have no idea how it works other than what I’ve seen on video. I do know that I’m fusing on a background fabric. There is some building up like dots on the bug and the flower center going over it ends of the petals.

One thing I could use help with!!! There are a total of 432 hearts surrounding the dandelion stem. Can I fuse them first and then punch them out with a leather punch (used to work with leather years ago). It would save a lot of time. Not that I have to fuse them first but the stiffer the fabric is, the cleaner the punch will be, even doing 10 or 20 at a time.

Either way thanks so much for everyone’s input!!!!
Old 02-04-2024, 09:39 PM

I've never tried to punch fabric, but I have cut it with a Silhouette. My advice is to not use fusible to stiffen the applique, because the fusible is permanent and, depending on which product you use, can make your quilt very stiff. Use starch or a product called Terial Magic. I'm not sure how punching fabric works, but this is what I used to make the fabric stiff enough to run through my cutter.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:04 AM

Laura H does the fusible applique with heat and bond and raw edges. I took a class to make one. This cannot be washed.
To machine applique, I draw a reverse picture on backside of background and place the applique fabric over area to cover on front. Straight stitch around pattern from back, then turn over to front and trim near stitching. After colored pieces are all in place, satin stitch. Hope that helps.
The first pic is fusible applique, and the second pic is satin stitched applique.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	seahorse collage2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	844.9 KB
ID:	647383   Click image for larger version

Name:	seahorse2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	647384  
Old 02-05-2024, 08:54 AM

I have only done needle turn applique, and I absolutely love the women of Piece O' Cake. They have very in-depth tutorials, and their enthusiasm for applique is contagious. Their books are good, too.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I've never tried to punch fabric, but I have cut it with a Silhouette. My advice is to not use fusible to stiffen the applique, because the fusible is permanent and, depending on which product you use, can make your quilt very stiff. Use starch or a product called Terial Magic. I'm not sure how punching fabric works, but this is what I used to make the fabric stiff enough to run through my cutter.
A leather punch pretty much works on the same principle as a Gemini cutter. I’d put a thick piece of leather on the bottom, fold the fabric a few times and hit the die with a mallet.

Didn’t think of starch!!! Great idea. I’ll try that.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Laura H does the fusible applique with heat and bond and raw edges. I took a class to make one. This cannot be washed.
To machine applique, I draw a reverse picture on backside of background and place the applique fabric over area to cover on front. Straight stitch around pattern from back, then turn over to front and trim near stitching. After colored pieces are all in place, satin stitch. Hope that helps.
The first pic is fusible applique, and the second pic is satin stitched applique.

Wow! Those are gorgeous. I’m looking for an online tutorial. What’s the difference between Heat & Bond and Steam A Seam 2? Amazed at the price of this stuff! For the price what’s it do? Thanks!
Old 02-05-2024, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SharonH20 View Post
Wow! Those are gorgeous. I’m looking for an online tutorial. What’s the difference between Heat & Bond and Steam A Seam 2? Amazed at the price of this stuff! For the price what’s it do? Thanks!
it holds the appliqué piece in place while you sew it on instead of pins. It easily helps you mark on the shape of the appliqué on the back. It stabilises the edges. You will probably want to use “lite” which is thinner.

Some fabrics, I guess mostly with raw edge appliqué, just fray as you are stitching so it is great for stopping that.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I have only done needle turn applique, and I absolutely love the women of Piece O' Cake. They have very in-depth tutorials, and their enthusiasm for applique is contagious. Their books are good, too.
Hi. Is this someone on YouTube?
Old 02-05-2024, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by SharonH20 View Post
Hi. Is this someone on YouTube?
Yes. Google "piece o cake".
Old 02-05-2024, 01:14 PM

this is a laser cut kit with the Garden Party pattern but different fabric than the original. It’s a bit pricey but considering all those small pieces might be worth it.

https://www.fiberworks-heine.com/sho...-x20635055.htm