Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders >

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

Old 02-07-2024, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
Nice little introduction to creating nifty improv units!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OOta0UURi0
Nice find! Thanks!
Old 02-07-2024, 08:43 AM

Western.....are you mental? Didja see this one coming?
Improv it is this time.
Not sure I see the difference between this challenge and the tidbits......
maybe just bigger bits?

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 02-07-2024 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:26 AM

This one is definitely going to be a challenge to integrate and make it appear to be a design element that was always meant to be there. He totally contradicted himself in this video by saying we were not supposed to cut into someone else's work unless necessary and in the beginning it was to be open to your work being handled and/or cut, rearranged in any way while incorporating the challenge. What happened to the slice and dice mantra? So which is it? Add only to the outer perimeter? If so, I've definitely missed the mark on everything so far. Adding only to the perimeter makes it a "traditional" round robin - where's the challenge in that?
When the video is posted, I plan to go back and listen again.
Old 02-07-2024, 12:41 PM

Joyce, I think the slice and dice is exactly what we are meant to do....when it makes sense. I think he just meant to consider the overall design before just cutting things up.
Anyway....mine can be sliced, diced, shredded and glued.
I agree....it's getting harder to make things appear "planned" and "on purpose" from the beginning. Or even to just make things work

edit; I guess what I mean is...we get to decide... not Ricky

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 02-07-2024 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:51 AM

I am hoping my tidbits flow easily into the improv.... How is everyone doing? I am still too chicken to slice and dice everyone else's work. I love all the thoughts that I have about it, though. Maybe that's half my challenge in this, figuring out how to be a better fabric artist when all is said and done. I suspect with this being my first round robin execise, I am just deeply reluctant to deconstruct.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
I am hoping my tidbits flow easily into the improv.... How is everyone doing? I am still too chicken to slice and dice everyone else's work. I love all the thoughts that I have about it, though. Maybe that's half my challenge in this, figuring out how to be a better fabric artist when all is said and done. I suspect with this being my first round robin execise, I am just deeply reluctant to deconstruct.
Juana, when you see what I've done to the pieces you have sent me, you'll will call me a lunatic! I think very hard on how to incorporated the challenges into the work and have not been the least bit timid in slicing, dicing and rearranging the pieces to follow the instructions from the quilter's manifesto. Thankfully, everyone's manifesto so far has been so easy to work with and having fabric that is already part of the quilt and/or complimentary to it, has been the biggest help to me.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:55 PM

I cannot wait to see what you have done! I wish we were able to talk about our progress more just to bounce ideas off one another. I feel like I am in outer space with no one else around.

You are going to love what I am sending you next. Lots of challenges for you to debate! Playing with the tidbits has me slicing and dicing my own stuff. I keep trying new things on this tidbit round and am still not happy. Time to wrap it up and send it to you!

Maybe the caveman round will be easier.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:20 AM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

I want to scream!!! I just put an appliqué over my crib block🤬, How could I be so stupid?
Old 02-17-2024, 08:50 PM

Life threw me a large curve ball. My 73 year old mother tore ligaments in her hip while playing water volleyball. I spent most of last night in the ER with her, praying nothing was broken, and most of today running around picking up her prescriptions and groceries, running out to her house to grab clothes, medications, etc, helping her get in and out of a chair to use the bathroom, etc. She's going to stay at my house for a few days until she is able to get around on her own. I didn't sit down or do anything else until 3:30 in the afternoon and I am more exhausted than I was when my kids were toddlers! Thank gawd for my husband, who cooked an excellent dinner for us.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:46 PM

Peckish that's awful! I too hope nothing was broken. My heart hurts for all of you.

And Yiaya...a sip of wine & a bit of time with Jack the ripper. I hope it isn't too hard to remove. (just guessing it has to come back off)
I've done very similar things....more than once. Not stupid. Just not focused. My heart hurts for you too. In a different way than Peckish.
<<<Hugs>>> to you both

edit: what is a crib block?