Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Feb 16-19, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Feb 16-19, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Feb 16-19, 2024

Old 02-17-2024, 04:12 PM

I like the left most border, reminds of a barbershop pole. You could mix it up since it's scrappy and do a different border on each side!

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
It's been a good day, but not quite the order I was expecting. I got the four blocks for the topper pressed and together then found some strips to frame it for the first border. I wanted a picture frame effect so same color family but different style of print. While looking thru a bin for a dark brown for the next border I ended up finding 70 HST's that were left over from one of my quilts about 2 years ago? Decided to finally sort the (To be sorted) bin and found some dark brown that would work but thought that I would press the HST's and see if they would work a a extra border. I'm leaning towards the ribbon stripe over the saw tooth. But will have to think more on it. I also was able to work on my DGS's kilt to resize it, I have it to the point that I have to sew the waist band back on but need to change thread color so was procrastinating on that.
DH just put dinner in the oven so after dinner I think we will sit in the family room and I will do some hand work. DH has been working out in his shop or in the music room today so I had space to play with fabric in the dinning room.
Here's a pic of the border options any suggestions? These are all orphan or left over blocks, so just sewing for fun.
Sorry the picture is a little dark.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM

thimblebug6000--the placemats turned out lovely.

We had a good day at our virtual sew-in; there were eleven of us on zoom. I worked on some wool applique projects. Afterwards I tried to find a specific project in my sewing room for our upcoming retreat. Another quilter has the same pattern and she thought it would be nice if we worked on it together. Now I just have to find the applique pieces--I remember seeing them in December or January when I was cleaning. I wasn't planning to work on them for a while so I set them aside someplace safe
Old 02-17-2024, 04:44 PM

I am happy as a clam, singing like a lark and pleased as punch. The butterfly baby quilt binding is on and waiting for its label.

I needed to get up and stretch so I went digging in my stash for a possible back for my Checkerboard Chain quilt and ta-da! I found a piece of very soft turquoise that will be just big enough. Will likely do a white binding.

Then.... I looked a little deeper in that bin of turquoise and I found a four yard cut of turquoise and very light blue batik that will work for my Pladdish quilt! Whoo Hoo! What a day! I went shopping and never left my house.

So my plans for tomorrow will shift to:
1. Add the label and finish the corner binding and into the wash for that baby quilt.
2. Do a final press for the Checkerboard Chain and cut the back and batting.
3. Take photos and post them here and start quilting the Checkerboard Chain.

Good weekend in my sewing room.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:25 PM

Spent my morning running some errands and doing a bit a packing for our upcoming trip. I did get in some sewing time ...... I finally put the last row on my Jewel Box Star, finished 2 more blocks for my Indigo Way and added blocks to my leader-ender project. Tomorrow I'll work on making binding for the Jewel Box Star top, baste some more hexies so I'll have some EPP to do while we travel, and try to get a couple more Indigo Way blocks done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1097.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	647537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	647538  
Old 02-18-2024, 02:31 AM

@Dedemac i also like the left hand border. It is less busy and suits the quilt IMO.

I thought I’d finished DH’s quilt when I sewed on the border and label but he also wants some Firebrigade patches sewn on. Another few hours sewing then I can wash it.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:34 AM

@aashley333 your pixel quilt looks amazing so far!

Old 02-18-2024, 03:35 AM

I've been lurking on here thos weekend. I have my two grandchildren this weekend. Turning 6 and her brother 7. She loves her rug for her new bedroom. Got to bring them home today, then when I get back, I'll be packing for Quiltcon, I fly out Wednesday morning.😍. Enjoy your time sewing. See everyone next VQW.
img_20240217_180738041.jpg
Old 02-18-2024, 04:08 AM

Lena1952...thank you for the birthday wishes, and Happy Birthday to you also.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:19 AM

SYNC.....love the blocks you have made and are laying on the little table. But I googled both patterns you mentioned and they are neither one of those. Can you share the pattern name with me....I have so many strips and blocks already cut and stored away that this pattern would be perfect for. Please?
Old 02-18-2024, 04:40 AM

The wool and cotton WH project I was working on is finished. YAY! I might find some time today to sew bindings on Comfort quilts for my guild today or do some cutting for a Kim Diehl quilt that is in the works. Keep Sewing ladies.