Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 02-22-2024, 07:59 AM

SusieQOH, happy belated birthday, prayers and good wishes. What a huge ordeal. WMUTeach, I thought it was a carpenter's wheel, it is the Camille Roskelley Patchwork Swoon by Thimbleblossoms. I just love it, worth the $7 I paid on sale not to do the math. So yes, hold me to it ;-) I have 3 days until the 25th. LOL.

I love the posts about everyone's hometown. I am in what was voted "the most romantic city in Michigan," St. Joseph. We have literally a postage stamp lighthouse, amazing water sports, a fantastic huge beach on both sides of the lighthouse, great fishing & birdwatching, and with a downtown with cute, curated shopping. Kilwin's Ice Cream is on one block, the Olive Cart on another, and South Bend Chocolate Company on the third block. I personally love the food at Tosi's Cafe and will be having cappuccino and a Swiss almond horn on Sunday morning with a friend. Holding hands and walking along the bluff above the spray fountains is required at sunset over the lake. The Amtrack stops here on the way to Chicago, and the train station also houses Silver Beach Pizza, with some of the most amazing pizza in the region. We are far enough away from Chicago to have some serenity, but close enough to enjoy all the benefits of the windy city when we want. Our region is called the Heart of the Fruit Belt, because the lake-effect modified temperatures here, warmer in the winter, colder in the summer, make tender fruit growing ideal. Fresh peaches, pears, nectarines, blueberries, cherries, and apples are available on roadside stands seasonally. I've been around the world, but love coming home. Hugs all!
Old 02-22-2024, 10:48 AM

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I spent the morning with my youngest granddaughter. She’s headed home now and I’m about to take a nap since I’ve been up since 5. I love a nice nap! We had plans to go out for dinner until we had something come up. We’ll probably celebrate Friday instead. That’s ok with me. I hope to open all the wonderful candy packages over the weekend. Thank you all!
Old 02-22-2024, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Happy happy Birthday, Janice! Enjoy your own special day and your candies.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:28 AM

Happy Birthday Janice - hope you have a great day!
Old 02-23-2024, 06:20 AM

Happy Birthday Janice

I lived in Minneapolis or it’s nearby suburbs till 2 years ago when we decided it wasn’t safe anymore. Minneapolis is beautiful, it has 5 lakes right in the city and big majestic trees. The decision to move was extremely hard for me. After 44 years in my house, we sold and moved to a small town about 90 minutes west of the cities. Our little town’s claim to fame is Red Rooster days where they have a parade and chicken barbecue. The town is large enough for 2 medical clinics, a grocery store, bar, library and a few odd and end shops. We are the last house in Dassel, after our yard starts the township. We have all the amenities the town offers and the serenity the country side brings. The 6 months we are in our little town with it’s Wonderful sunrises and sunsets along with great friends makes it a very special place.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:23 AM

Am I the last one in here to find the Katie Mae Quilts webpage? She loves using 2.5" candies and offers free patterns (you can figure them out, too). This month she features a 12.5" pine tree block pattern and a 12.5 x 20" fox block https://payhip.com/b/g0QjR?utm_sourc...erm=2024-02-23. What an easy way to use up our candies!

Have any of you created a candy block of an object that you're willing to share? I'm going to try. If I like what I come up with, I'll share. My husband likes fried egg sandwiches. Maybe I will design a fried egg block.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:06 AM

I've lived in Northern Virginia my whole life. The opportunities for site-seeing the historic sites and museums would take months to see. Three years ago I moved to the City of Manassas because my previous town was getting too citified and expensive. A Metro Station was being built within walking distance of my house, and one couldn't see the sun in the daytime for the shadows of the high-rise buildings going up. Can you imagine the increase in real estate taxes?

Manassas during the Civil War (with little more than a few homes and a railroad depot) was called Manassas Junction. It was not yet a town. Today the City of Manassas has two Walmarts. The railroad is still active here though, and I can hear the horns blowing in the distance from my house. We also get to wait for trains to cross the roads we are trying to traverse. I like to play count the cars during those times... if it's more than a hundred I usually lose count.

The first battle in Manassas was the first major battle on American soil since the War of 1812. Confederate forces won the nearby battles of First and Second Manassas (July 21, 1861 and August 29-30, 1862 respectively.)

The first battle was fought at a time when many Americans believed the conflict would be short and relatively bloodless. It was just 30 miles from Washington, D.C. That's why civilians and U.S. Senators followed the Union Army to watch it and brought a picnic. Today it is the site of the Manassas Battlefield Park and has many picnic areas to enjoy.

I'm really enjoying my new neighborhood. My previous house had less than 1/4 acre of land. My new home (built in 1952 and requiring three years of renovations) has more than 1/2 acre and less real estate taxes. It's also close to where the Grands live, and I get to see them much more often.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Am I the last one in here to find the Katie Mae Quilts webpage? She loves using 2.5" candies and offers free patterns (you can figure them out, too). This month she features a 12.5" pine tree block pattern and a 12.5 x 20" fox block https://payhip.com/b/g0QjR?utm_sourc...erm=2024-02-23. What an easy way to use up our candies!

Have any of you created a candy block of an object that you're willing to share? I'm going to try. If I like what I come up with, I'll share. My husband likes fried egg sandwiches. Maybe I will design a fried egg block.
That's such a cute fox! Thanks for sharing... Attached is my favorite Scottie Dog pattern.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Boy-Small1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	647618   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	661.6 KB
ID:	647619  
Old 02-23-2024, 10:19 AM

I needed to take a break from my PP project, and found this pattern and figured it would be pretty simple to sew up. I drew it up in EQ8, but then decided I wanted to add chains to make it fill in some of the white space.

I sorted through what was left of my candi stash and came up with enough bolder colors for the 25 hearts that I needed. I sorted them out to get a good mix for each heart, as I had a lot of repeats of some of the fabrics. After I got that done, I had several piles of pastels left over. I got the idea of using them for the setting triangles, and it worked out that I had enough. At this point I wasn't really expecting much from this quilt other than it was using up lots of squares.

I sewed the setting triangles as 6x6 and cut them in half. (only needed 7 of them, 6 cut in half and one cut in quarters for the corners). Then I started working on the hearts. Got one done last night and was pretty happy with how it's turning out. The colors are somewhat limited as I'd already sorted out a lot for previous quilts, and this is what ended up left over.

Name:	20240222_113909.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	647620   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240222_093319.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	647621   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240222_113818.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	647622  
Old 02-23-2024, 10:21 AM

Here is a sneak peak of how it's turning out. Way, way better than I expected from the colors that were left in my candi stash.

Sent the picture to my DD and she is already in love with it.

Name:	20240223_110221.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	647623