Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Memorial Quilt >

Memorial Quilt

Memorial Quilt

Old 02-23-2024, 10:55 AM

Default Memorial Quilt

On Christmas Day my daughter-in-law's mother died. She asked me to make a memory quilt out of her mother's clothes for her father. I was honored... She was adament that only her mother's clothes be used on the quilt top, and her favorite clothes used repeatedly throughout. I had pictures of her mother printed on cotton at Spoonflower. After she realized that there would be quilting through her mother's face on the quilt, she decided not to use them. I surprised her with the pictures on a pillow instead because it wouldn't require any quilting on them. I used her nightgowns and pajamas around the pictures.

It was such a puzzle trying to get everything on the quilt the way she wanted. She rejected my first attempts that I spent hours designing. I was totally stressed because I didn't want to ruin her Mom's clothes with something she didn't want. She had no clue how a quilt is made, but she knew what she wanted. Meanwhile, my son is in the background repeatedly saying "This isn't one of your show quilts Mom." and "Do we have to get someone else to do it? Eyeroll... not helpful.

In the end I got a text from her after she gave it to her father: "Thank you so much! You truly exceeded my expectations! I really appreciate all of your hard work! It is absolutely amazing!!!"

They took a video of her Dad receiving the quilt and pillow. All he could say was "How did she do this?" He called me later that night to thank me in tears. He had been married to her for 52 years.

It turns out this quilt was the hardest and most rewarding quilt I have ever made.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Quilted.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	647624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pillow Front.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	647625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pillow Back.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	647626  
Old 02-23-2024, 11:29 AM

Your post brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful way to be remembered! This may have been the most difficult quilt you have ever made but oh my, the job you did is spectacular. And the pillows are the icing on the cake. Congratulation on a job well done.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:14 PM

well done A+ Jenn!!!
Old 02-23-2024, 01:53 PM

Such a special quilt and pillows. It's a treasure.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:50 PM

Jennr8r, that is such an amazing effort that you made. And you did it! Your quilting talents being shared this way are a reflection of your generosity of spirit. Great job!! This is a story that could easily be shared on passiton.com. Thank you!!
Old 02-23-2024, 03:00 PM

Love Them all! Great memories to share with your family.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:50 PM

I absolutely love this! The lady must have had a great sense of humor. My favorite is ‘Underestimate me, that’ll be fun’- lol Where did you get your fabric sayings? Did you print them on fabric yourself? I need to make a quilt with words I said to them- when I would be scolding & called one child by every name but his and they say they’re not ___I say’ I know who you are and you know I’m talking to you!’ -lol
Old 02-23-2024, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
My favorite is ‘Underestimate me, that’ll be fun’- lol Where did you get your fabric sayings?lol
Every bit of fabric on the front of the quilt is from her clothes. She wore alot of funny t-shirts and plaid flannels.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:30 AM

Love the quilt and your hard work. I think I could have been friends with someone wearing those t shirts!
Old 02-24-2024, 04:06 AM

Spectacular Quilt! Take a bow! I like the t shirt saying: Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advice.
This quilt sounds like a labor of love. Every quilt has a story, and I'm so glad to hear that your quilt story had a happy ending.