Fabric Moratorium 2024

Old 02-02-2024, 07:57 AM

While I'm just now joining in, I made the decision to stop buying in October last year.

I worked at JoAnn's Fabrics for about a year and a half -- what could go wrong with that?? 🤣🤣🤣 I now could open my own fabric store. 😳🫣🤭 And so am determined to work on using my stash, which is so extensive it's embarrassing ... Lol

Right now I am cutting up everything that is one yard or under. Anything that is over 1 yard but under 5 goes on the shelving. Anything 5 and over goes on a bolt (and I have a WHOLE shelving unit full of bolts I bought) and up on the shelf for backings.

I'm never gonna see my friends at JoAnn's again! 😭😭😭😭 Oh WAIT!! I'll need to go get thread!! 😇😇😇
Old 02-02-2024, 10:04 AM

well I am guilty I just bought some fabric on line
Old 02-06-2024, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
While I'm just now joining in, I made the decision to stop buying in October last year.

I worked at JoAnn's Fabrics for about a year and a half -- what could go wrong with that?? 🤣🤣🤣 I now could open my own fabric store. 😳🫣🤭 And so am determined to work on using my stash, which is so extensive it's embarrassing ... Lol

Right now I am cutting up everything that is one yard or under. Anything that is over 1 yard but under 5 goes on the shelving. Anything 5 and over goes on a bolt (and I have a WHOLE shelving unit full of bolts I bought) and up on the shelf for backings.

I'm never gonna see my friends at JoAnn's again! 😭😭😭😭 Oh WAIT!! I'll need to go get thread!! 😇😇😇
Only way I can can succeed is make store contact as minimal as possible. I worked in fabric store-totally empathize.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:12 AM

Just checking in. I have only purchased 3 fat quarters since January to finish a quilt that was sitting on my Works In Progress list. I will need to purchase a backing for a Pladish quilt that will be going to a child. Nothing appropriate for a kiddo of age three that will look good with the blue plaid of the top. Off to Shipshewana, Indiana on Monday and will roam the quilt shops for my little boy Pladish quilt.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:23 AM

No purchases here - but WMU remember purchases to finish a project are allowed. Just can't buy fabric "just because"

Currently working with my for border print ...ever. and I picked it out for a 3 yard charity quilt. So I cut the borders (I hope) lengthwise first and am working on the blocks . There's a certain amount of fudging happening since I can't follow Fabric Cafe's directions exactly.

It's just such a a pretty blue floral stripe. Cutting WOF was going to lose that...
Old 02-07-2024, 04:16 PM

Oh, I know fabric to finish is "allowed", but I try to not buy anything if possible. I have been pressing myself to use my stash first. Not that my stash has disappeared by any means in the past few years, but it had diminished to the point that I am finding I need to do a little shopping. My personal goal is to keep the shopping small....really, really small.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:12 AM

Yep! I've been very good about this moratorium and NOT buying fabric, esp. for those PHDs... Sooooo the PHDs remain unfinished within a stack of PHDs... which now are "Piled Higher and Deeper" PHDs.
If I buy those needed FQs or couple yards for finishing, much less backings!!!!!!! , I'll be a poor woman. Time to make a decision in my overcrowded sewing room. Poor or drowning in cotton?
Old 02-12-2024, 06:12 PM

Yes I bought some fabric - but I promise, I didn't have anything else appropriate in stock. I bought some blades.of a Lonestar at a destash ($20!) And I couldn't find the right background. The fabrics are incredibly old.fashioned. fortunately I found some Ruby Star at my LQS...and payed full price (!?)

On the other side - I've been charity sewing 3 yard quilts like A BOSS. I'm really seeing progress in the quilt room clutter.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Plisse_cep View Post
!
SPAM reported Plisse_ . . . with various suffixes listed on stopforumspam.com
Old 02-25-2024, 02:56 PM

Need advice - send suggestions
I had some Alexander Miller fabric with Chinese characters - just begging for fussy cuts...so I did.
My question is what to do with the leftover. I cut out the remaining characters but they're all pieces between 3-4" . My idea is either surround (courthouse steps style) on on-point and then cut down to specific size - thinking 8" but open...
End product will be super wonky and scrappy - which I am NOT comfortable with - but I'm too thrifty to toss that much fabric.
Has anyone ever done a project like this and do you have suggestions?
​​​